It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becoming Nameless

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Alot of threads have been circulating around reguarding name changes. This is NOT one of those types of threads; I for one would like to think people put thought behind their names...

What I would like to propose is this: the ability to make yourself nameless.

Have you ever wanted to post a comment without others knowing who you were?

There are some on here who have certain reputations, or there are those who have built up a false persona (and like it that way). Having a "submit nameless post" feature would allow those to protect themselves.

Or even sending a nameless U2U... maybe you want to share something, or help someone, but you don't want them to know who sent it...

Yes, there could be potential for abuse. Flames or insults could start sprouting all over... but I have that covered, too.

Simply by using the gripe button, an insulted/flamed member can report the offensive post, right? So have it that only mods (or higher) can see or learn of the true author.

The nameless feature would have to be set up to block avatars, signatures, etcetera, to remove any identity tags.

But then I suppose, it would also require too much reprogramming...

Oh well, just a thought.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Have you ever wanted to post a comment without others knowing who you were?

Nope, I stand behind fully every thing I type.

(hands out backbones)

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I love getting nameless U2Us about submitted ATSNN articles that object to the submission on irrelevant grounds.

Opinion: Anonymity carries no sense of responsibility with it.

Some ATS members believe that they are anonymous/sheltered from other people in real life and as a worthless bunch of untraceable pixels this entitles them to be abusive towards other members of the site without consequence. This is not a good "community standard".

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
No if this were to be passed some how.... I would disagree with it but, if you were to post nameless you should recieve NO POINTS for posting and it SHOULD NOT count to your total posts. As for the private messages I guess this could be usefull, but I see too many down sides to make this a possiblity.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Only when I'm drunk and stoned....

Usually during those hours I try to try to remain subdued

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Only when I'm drunk and stoned....

I do believe that is called "Crunk" my good sir!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
If you really want to be nameless for a post or two, it's quite simple - though frowned upon I suppose. Go to the library where you can be anonymous & post under a different name. It would also be a good way to share info that you don't want traced back to you - problem with that is you probably would want that in the RATS forum & then you'd have to come up with many post to get enough ponts to do that - by then it would be easy to trace you by your writing profile.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Nameless posting is no good. If you can't stand behind what you say, then best not to say anything.

A man's word is all he has.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Anonymous U2U= wrong

How could you respond? I mean, even if you did, the other person decides to reveal their identity.

Anonymous post= Why isn't this possible already?

Ridiculous, and no good reason except if you want to have excuses for how you were able to track everything, and trace things back to one person in one location saying them.

In other words, to gather intelligence.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Cowards hide behind anonymous faces, also it would likely increase trolling and spamming, they could insult people and remain anonymous to the members.

I'm proud of what I say
....well most of the time

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Becoming "nameless" would result in posts by people claiming to be anyone, it would increase board abuse and trolling. I think the voting on ATSNN shouldn't be anonymous either

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There really isn't a valid reason for it.

It would rapidly degenerate into a means to insult others or disrupt board topics without any accountability at all.

The news submissions not showing a name until voted through made sense to me because over there you don't want people voting "no" simply because they don't like the contributor.

In the case of u2us or regular posts, why shouldn't the person who said it be revealed. In the world of message boards, you are what you say. People develop a feel for you based on the things you say and do in these online communities. Personally, I find that to be a positive thing. When I say something, I'm saying it because it's what I feel. I want people to know it's what I feel.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I disagree with the popular sentiment here. There are times when said member would love to post something that they are under contract not to disclose, but do not wish to lose their job over it and be sued if they are caught. I do not believe that it involves the member being 'spineless' by any means, but rather they are considering the reality that they must support themselves as well as provide for others. There are times when RATS just does not seem safe enough to risk.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
No a good idea, I am one of those that has nothing to hide, and I even use my nickname in my avatar.

If I ever do an official complaint, (I have never done that since I join the board) I will post my user name for the administration to know who did it.

No, nothing to hide.

Its many ways to get onces point without abuse.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have things to hide, Money, girlfriends and some other secrets.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by 71LSPC
Nameless posting is no good. If you can't stand behind what you say, then best not to say anything.

A man's word is all he has

Y'know, I think this is one of the best statements I've seen on the issue.

Speaking as someone who is studying boards and anonymity issues in cyberspace, such an option does little good for the community. While it can give some the ability to speak with more boldness, it usually devolves into abuse by trolling. Even fairly reasonable people can get unreasonably aggressive in a series of postings if they are allowed the "no social consequence" option of anonymous postings.

What that does is make the atmosphere of the board itself more aggressive and negative.

While community policings (via points or so forth) can address some of this to a degree (see slashdot.net for an example), in a lot of cases (godlikeproductions.com) you are left with a board full of trash postings.

I come here for conversation; not trash.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
I disagree with the popular sentiment here. There are times when said member would love to post something that they are under contract not to disclose, but do not wish to lose their job over it and be sued if they are caught. I do not believe that it involves the member being 'spineless' by any means, but rather they are considering the reality that they must support themselves as well as provide for others. There are times when RATS just does not seem safe enough to risk.

Only way that the company could do this is through the IP number not the username. Unless they of course give out records of their usernames to their boss and even these "nameless" message boards keep a log of who uses them.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
post what you want, when you want...

don't worry about being warned...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Also, members of the RATS forum section could leak out information to the regular citizens of ATS, and not be punished for it.

soothsayer, your request for anonymity has deen denied. *stamps DENIED on soothsayer's forehead*

Just kidding soothsayer, but it just doesn't sound like a good idea.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Intriguing idea. For example, if the anonymous post were a scholarly piece of work that received much applause, then *I* could claim it as my own!

Ahem.

I'd wager that there are very few long time posters here at ATS that could hide behind an ANON moniker. There are quite a few posters who have a very distinct, recognizable "style".

Which brings up an argument FOR anonyminity: it forces you to think and reply outside your normal mode. Who knows, it might be the first step towards real communication on ATS.

<<   2 >>

join