It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

your thoughts on the vietnam war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What do you think could of been done to prevent it? I think if the US stood up to Britain and France, and also remained in contact with Ho Chi Minh we could of prevented the war and the country from becoming communist. Also I think we should of waged the war differently, to much conventional soliders and equipment. Well all thoughts are welcome, piece people!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
where do I find this "piece" of people?

bwahahahaha

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Everyone should go out and see a movie/doco called "The Bay of Pigs" - Anyone seen it? It made tidal waves when it first came out...

The war was a complete and utter waste - and was fought from the most superficial of positions - the Yanks just started from where the French left off... And the US government still doesn't recognise or educate people about how much of a waste it really was... Nine times out of Ten when you ask an American how many lives were lost in that war - they will say around 60,000 (US Casualties) - because they aren't even taught about the 4-million Vietnamese people that lost their lives because of this war... Do they not count for something, in the eyes of the government - who had an offical policy of "Terminate with extreme predjudice! - it obviously meant nothing, just as today - it still doesnt seem like anything major...

And Ho Chi Minh was doing great things for the Vietnamese people, many of them were now able to eat a meal atleast once a day - Many of them were now able to have some form of Education - all the rich retreated to the south in an attempt to remain in power - This was a war of ideas, ideas of what is important in life... The Imperialist powers were fighting to keep the markets open for foreign investment (which is their distorted and miscontrued formula for what 'freedom' is about, much like Iraq today), the average Vietnamese fighter was fighting for a better way of life - this was not available to them under a neo-colonial rule... This is what the war was about...

[edit on 9-6-2005 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I hate heavy politicial topics in BTS, go to ATS or P@ATS

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Prevent it?

I don't know.. we could have tried letting the democratic elections go ahead like planned.

Oh, that's right - the mystical communist spooks would have won and we couldn't have that, could we?

or

Easy - we could have kept our noses out of other nations' affairs.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
one of the best ways would to have continued military operations during cease fire negotiations. There is plenty we could ahve done with 20/20 hindsight, but there was also a lot of corruption in the US government preventing the correct actions from being taken.

I am just glad that my dad was able to get home in one peice (mentally and pysically) after getting 2 purple hearts and serving his tour as a flight engineer for CH-47 cargo Helecopter. Many others were lest fortunate in having to serve in a "wrong" war

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Many officers in the CIA were using the war to line their pockets, and they purposefully prolonged the war. Had it been a more "official" war, the appropriate force and tactics could have been brought to bear, and it would have been a military victory.

However, in Vietnam, we faced the same problem as we now face in Iraq...i.e. the people there don't WANT us there. You have to convince them it's in their best interest, and the effort made to that end has been abysmal....

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Have to agree with ya on that point, if we ran a better hearts and minds campaign the war would of been a lot more succesfull. But you have to remember it was hard knowing who your friend was and who your enemy was, that was one of the hardest parts of fighing in vietnam.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Also I think the reason they apointed a leader like Nguyen Van Thieu, is because he was the politicaly right choice, by that I mean he had the right look. Ho Chi Minh wasn't was more about the people, thats another reason the Vietnam War was unsuccesfull.

join