It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No ATS for Thailand, elsewhere?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been covered before. I was telling my brother about ATS and when he went to try and view the website while in Bangkok and it was listed as banned.

Is it truly banned in Thailand, or is it just a technical hitch? Are there any other countries with access problems or filtered content?

If so, should we be worried and what can be done to circumvent such filtering. Would it be possible to bounce the site off a mirror site? My Internet knowledge is scant at best, but surely there is a way to get through to an audience of english speakers in Asia who are intersted and could contribute a different POV to the overall discussions on the boards.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
A number of nations do censor websites. There was a big deal earlier with China and Google. Basically, you could use google to get around the bans that China had in place. Given our content, well, I'd be surprised if we weren't banned in places. (and slightly insulted, too)

Circumventing these bans would be ineffective and stupid, as they are a government and we are a website.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I'm in China and the site is not blocked. But if too much anti-Chicom stuff builds up on ATS then it may well be banned in the future. The most notable of banned sites here is the BBC.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have heard the BBC was unavailable in China alright. I was just surprised at Thailand not having ATS. China, yeah (but they have ATS as you pointed out - I was pleasantly surprised by this), Singapore, probably, but Thailand? I don't ever remember any bad word against them being said in the forums!!

I know that P2P sites are widely banned but while I was in Singapore I easily sneaked around that as an experiment through Google. I wonder if the same can be done for ATS?

new topics

top topics

join