It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutiny By American Crew Against Their French Captain On Oil Rig

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
AHHH... what movie is it... it's right on the tip of my tongue.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by microcosm
AHHH... what movie is it... it's right on the tip of my tongue.

I believe you are thinking of:

Under Siege (1992)

I hate it as well when you just can't remember the name of a movie/song.....!!

JAK

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
It is heartwarming to read these remarks and understand, deep down, that had the situations been reversed and it were a French crew rebelling against an American captain that all your comments about tyranny on the high seas and the rights of man to defy the chain of command under such circumstances would be just the same. :shk:

Jak

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK
It is heartwarming to read these remarks and understand, deep down, that had the situations been reversed and it were a French crew rebelling against an American captain that all your comments about tyranny on the high seas and the rights of man to defy the chain of command under such circumstances would be just the same. :shk:

Jak

Thats true, if the rolls were reversed then there would be calls to boycott France and the crazies would be calling for war and considering it involves oil, they'd probably get it too!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
The chain of command should be respect, but not at all times. If your caption goes nuts I don't care about the chain command I’m not following that guy. And if the crew mutinied him because he did have some sort of mental breakdown then they did nothing wrong. If they mutinied him for being an A hole then they broke the law. They should have just all told him to go... himself and that he could do everything himself if he did not like it.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The captain has a right to be a sh#%&ead, pick on you and harass you. The only situations captain has to be relieved of duty is a medical condition or if his orders are clearly illegal or against good moral. Just cause the guy is an a#%#ole doesn't give you right to mutiny.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

The chain of command should be respect, but not at all times. If your captain goes nuts I don't care about the chain command I’m not following that guy.

If that's the case, why isn't G.W. Bush swinging from lamp-post with the rest of his administration? Why haven't you guys had a mutiny yet????

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Before everyone gets too spun up about this story, I will caution everyone that I have not been able to find more than one source for this story.

All the published reports seem to be quoting the same SA source, and just regurgitating it all over the place.

While debating the issues of mutiny in a modern seagoing environment my be interesting, I think it might be a wee bit premature to start nationalistic country bashing based on this story.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by Pyros]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
HowMuchIsTheDoggy,

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy

The chain of command should be respect, but not at all times. If your captain goes nuts I don't care about the chain command I’m not following that guy.

If that's the case, why isn't G.W. Bush swinging from lamp-post with the rest of his administration? Why haven't you guys had a mutiny yet????

Silence was the loud reply!!!

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I agree with the few who pointed out the streotyping. The ignorance it displays makes you just as harmful as what the sailors did. I have had some dealings with a French Navy Captain and came away from it with good memories and respect for him. I hope nationality was not the reason this event took place.

Having served as a sailor and a soldier I understand that sometimes, under extreme conditions, disobeying an order can be justified. (ie: kill those civilians....). But this is not a military vessel the crew must have had other options. Yes, the Captain is the boss, but harassement is never an option for any leader. A leader needs to earn the respect of his crew, not demand it. When a problem with authority arrises it was his duty to deal with it in a civilised manner.

No good can come of this. Let's just wait until all the facts are in before judging anyone.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
A perfect example of what this world has turned into.

A few years ago it would have been some unimportant story of mutiny against the captain. Period.

Today, in our dear polarised messed up world, it is the mutiny of american crew against the french captain and the replies to this story show just how important nationality and stereotypes have become.

Sad really.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   

The chain of command should be respect, but not at all times. If your caption goes nuts I don't care about the chain command I’m not following that guy.

The chain of command keeps people alive.
Relieving an officer of his command can be done but threatining to throw him off the ship into the sea IS not the same thing.

And if the crew mutinied him because he did have some sort of mental breakdown then they did nothing wrong.

He had the breakdown after the crew threatened to throw him off the ship and where starting to do it.

If they mutinied him for being an A hole then they broke the law. They should have just all told him to go... himself and that he could do everything himself if he did not like it.

So you wont be joining the military then WP?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Something tells me where not going to hear any more news about this...

It's been a full week since this happened (it happened last friday)... I would've expected a follow up on the ship, and crews status by now.

One thing I've come to realize is that most of the crew members in question were all experienced men, who most likely fully knew the penalties of what they were doing...

it was two senior drillers, a sub-seas engineer and a chief electrician. It's not like it was just some non-rates, having trouble on their first time underway.

Either way, I'm gonna take a guess, and say this ends up in:

1)A fine, and couple years of imprisonment for the crew... (It turns out they never actually touched the captain, and they never actually took command, or control of the ship. This is more of a insubordination, and breach of discipline case in my eyes... then again I'm no lawyer, so I won't pretend to know what the legalities are.)

2)A perfomance evaluation of the captain in which he may be found without fault.

Allthough I seriously question the captains ability to lead now. He apparently broke down crying, and fainted... 2 things I never want to see any captain of mine doing when things get rough.

[edit on 6/10/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
The Bell Has Rung, Commence Salivating

From the source article:
'At first we thought it was quite funny how the big burly Yanks intimidated the little Frenchman'

Those who have jumped at the nationalistic bait offered in this uncorroborated story may want to honestly ask themselves why they feel compelled to respond in the manner they have.

The answer may not please you.

Dogs aren't the only creatures which can be controlled by repeated stimulus/response conditioning.

Arf arf.

Good doggie.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Mutiny is a serious crime

Why were these men returned to the US? They should've been executed and dumped into the ocean no?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by microcosm
What makes this even more suspicious is that the rest of the (south african) crew allowed this to happen... most crew members would stick up for their captain in an event like this. The fact that the rest of the crew members turned a blind eye to the captains distress (some even thought it was quite funny) says to me, that theres alot of things not being mentioned here.

Like I said before, I'm not going to comment on the article until more information is released from the investigation.

This question immediately popped into my mind also. Why didn't the rest of the crew intervene? Too many unanswered questions remain to make any judgement in this matter.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

So you wont be joining the military then WP?

Only if there are French captains in it

Why were these men returned to the US? They should've been executed and dumped into the ocean no?

Thank you genius for your great solution .

Silence was the loud reply!!!

Yes it was, not answering a stupid post screams volumes.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wow, this whole thread is sad!
First thing I thought, was "geez, how is this court hearing going to sound?"

But then my focus went onto the different responses on Hellmutts replies!

How in all kajeebas can anyone start petty arguments of responsibility vs. nationality here?

It freaks me out to see, as the most people tend to say in their statements, as i read them: The US crew was in their right to go amuck and actually mutiny/pirateer a vessel of the seas.

The article says NOTHING about why the former captain was released of duty, it says NOTHING of their work being done, the only thing the article stated, was that the mutineers by their OWN statements, i.e. hearsays, is that the captain called them lazy... ...And for other infantile comments to that the Captain was airlifted off the platform, is that airlifting from a platform is actually one of the few ways to get off at all.
The most stupif thing happening onboard, was actually the mutineers that threw the Captains log overboard! If they originally had issues, they should have kept the book, so the book could be a record of previous episodes aboard! Who knows what the former Captain that was released actually did?!

Geez. Try spamming less with national harassment, please, will you not?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Only if there are French captains in it

Lol, ah I see not trusting US captains incase they shoot you instead....ah great thinking lol

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperclip
Today, in our dear polarised messed up world, it is the mutiny of american crew against the french captain and the replies to this story show just how important nationality and stereotypes have become.

Paperclip got it spot on. If it were an American captain or a French crew it wouldn't have made the news at all. Nationalism is becoming ever more prevalent. Aren't we supposed to be above all this crap by now?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join