It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mutiny By American Crew Against Their French Captain On Oil Rig

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
A French Captain had to be airlifted to safety after his American Crew threatened to throw him overboard in a high seas mutiny drama on board an oil rig heading for South Africa. They had already lobbed the Captain's log book and other personal items into the water.

IOL: Alleged mutiny averted on oil rig

June 08 2005

An oil rig heading for Cape Town erupted in mutiny by American crew against their French captain, who had to be airlifted to safety after they threatened to throw him overboard. The drama brought two Cape Town helicopters carrying private detectives to the rig after a 140-mile rescue dash at midday on Friday. They negotiated to end the drama and eventually five crew were taken off at Cape Town and sent back to the United States.

A South African marine technician aboard the oil rig said the American sailors had lobbed the captain's briefcase containing his log book, travel documents and other personal items into the water, threatening that "he would be next". The Frenchman suffered a nervous collapse, the technician said.

The Pride South Sea had left the Gulf of Mexico under the command of an American captain, but when it docked at Recife on the Brazil coast in March, it acquired a French captain for the leg of the voyage to Cape Town.

The American sailors accused the captain of picking on them, and he was gunning for them because they were lazy and undisciplined.

News of mutiny on the oil rig spread quickly among Cape Town harbour officials and people in local shipping circles. They said it was "the first time in 100 years" that a captain had had to be saved from his mutinous crew.

The captain was taken to City Park hospital on Sunday where he stayed overnight before leaving for France on Monday.

A Captain is a Captain, French or not. He was picking on them for being "lazy and undisciplined", no kidding? What is wrong with the discipline here? Mutiny is a serious crime.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
we have to hear wat the American side of the story before we judge as to wat happened. who knows maybe the French croaked too much and too loud

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
we have to hear wat the American side of the story before we judge as to wat happened. who knows maybe the French croaked too much and too loud

He was in his full right to croak as much as he wanted to. He was their Captain. These Americans should listen to him, follow orders and behave. What gives them the right to act like they are superior to their French Captain? Because they were Americans?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What gives them the right to act like they are superior to their French Captain? Because they were Americans?

I would have thought it was there god given right seems he was French

TPL

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The chain of command should be respected regardless of nationality. Unless of course the Captain went insane, in which case the medical officer should relieve him of command.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Sounds like the Captain had the typical French reaction and tucked tail and ran.

The Frenchman suffered a nervous collapse, the technician said.

A captain of a ship shouldn't have a nervous breakdown, they need to be courageous enough to stand up to any adversity.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm rethinking my position on gun control.
This captain should have had one and he should have used it to kill those men.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This story is so funny the Captain had to be airlifted of the oil rig. Seems to me he should have treated his crew with more respect just because your the captain doesn't men you should treat your crew like S***. Hope he learned a lesson.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I'm putting my money on captains fault...

The ship left under an american captain, and switched captains after pulling into Brazil. Chances are the frenchie came aboard the ship full of criticism, and stereotypes about americans, and started nit picking EVERYTHING they did. This will drive a crew mad.

From my experiance working aboard ships (I worked aboard 2 ships for a very popular cruise company) I can tell you as an American, that when you work under a french captain, there is nothing you can do right... they will find something to complain about in ANYTHING you do. No matter how right it is.

I was told the following by a chief engineer (he was a former USCG dude, If I remember correctly I think he was a rated DC onboard a WHEC), aboard my first ship...
If he's French he'll complain about everything. (turned out to be true.)
If he's Italian he won't care about anything, until it's life or death situation. (turned out to be true.)
If he's American, don't give him a reason to hate you, and you're good. (I never worked under an American so I don't know.)
If he's Norweigan he's a godsend. (turned out to be very true.)

[edit on 6/9/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Some captains get you out to sea and think you are a slave instead of a sailor, or crewperson. They believe the isolation of being at sea combined with threats of withholding your pay and bonus money will be enough to intimidate you. I have seen this behavior on Alaskan fishing boats. I have seen first mates incite the crew to haze injured crewmen who could not work and could not get out of their bunks. I have seen first mates threaten physical harm to crewmen who do not comply with the company line.

Hooooray for mutineers!!!! Down with tyranny!!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well its good to see the captain layed down and took it like a frenchman. It just wouldn't do for him to have somehow put on a display of backbone. It would have ruined his fellow countrymens reputation.

Still, allot of good peoples reputations and careers are probably going to be seriously hurt over this. Mutiny IS a serious crime and having done it once, its hard to get another ship to sign you on. Especially if your in the pokey.

Ofcourse, this is just my humble opinion.

Wupy

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
That's despicable. Mutiny really is a terrible thing to do, for a whole slew of reasons, the least of which being it usurps the very methods in which our safety is secured and our military operates. Threatening that, nay assaulting that, deserves the fullest punishment available.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
This is just going to be another Anti-French thread isn't it?

Honestly.....You guys will be the first to moan if anyone dares criticise (rightly or wrongly) the good Ol' US of A, but the moment you get the chance, the same tired old lines against the French are bleated out...

Well its good to see the captain layed down and took it like a frenchman. It just wouldn't do for him to have somehow put on a display of backbone. It would have ruined his fellow countrymens reputation.

Grow up.

[edit on 9/6/05 by stumason]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I do not think this thread should turn into another "bash the French free for all". I like to think that the captain's nationality had nothing to do with the behavior of the crew. It would be really sad if they just despised him for his Frenchness.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
One question I have to ask is, do these crews know what "chain of command" is?
I mean the captain might be an absolute idiot but at the end of the day he IS the captain.
Until you take his job you CANT judge him, personally I hope they do get tried.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Indeed, DW, it's called the Law of the Sea where the captain is King. What he says goes, if you don't like it then you can always quit! To mutiny is a crime. Imagine doing this in your office job or whatever? Threatening to throw your manager of the balcony just because he is an arsehole! Same thing.....

There are ways the crew could have remedied the situation, the first being to talk to the Captain like adults, secondly they could use the companies grievance procedure.

The only reason people on here are cheering them on is because he is French and the Mutineers where American, had it been the other way round we would hear a completely different story!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think it's pretty telling, the sort of responses generated by this article. It's really unfortunate that some people can't control their nationalistic snobbery..on both sides of the pond. I've heard some blatantly false (by that I mean unsupported stereotypes and bigotry) anti-American drivel, but for some reason the sort I hear most often is the reverse, Americans picking on the French.

They practically delivered this country of ours on a silver platter, and this is the thanks they get?

Disgraceful.

Mutiny is mutiny, plain and simple, I don't care if your captain is from Mars, you listen to him and obey him, because it's life or death out on the ocean.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If the crew mutinied just because they didn't like the captain, that's definitely wrong and they should be prosecuted by whatever government has jurisdiction.

However, I don't think we have all the facts here, the captain could have flipped or out or somehting and started giving irrational, crazy orders. I think everyone should cool down the rhetoric too.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I think theres alot of missing parts to this story too... so I'm waiting for more news to become public before I comment on this again.

Anyhow, What I posted wasn't meant to be anti-french rhetoric either. What I said comes from first hand experiance... I'm sure others who have worked under french captains would back me up... or perhaps I was just unlucky and got the 2 worst frenchmen in the fleet. (Doesn't seem to be the case though according to other people I've spoken too from different ships, and companies.)

Anyhow the french are mostly good, hard working people... nothing I said was meant to be "anti-french" because I can trace a large portion of my heritage back to france. I've got great grandparents that came here straight from paris... so I really don't have that much animosity towards frenchmen. (I'm honest enough to say I do have some issues with some of them, but nothing so much to say "I hate the french" as a whole.)

Anyhow... before I leave it at that, let me just say this...

Good captains don't let mutinies happen. Good captains know how to read their crew, and "the writings on the wall". They also know how to keep them inline, and in working order.

Mutinies occur after a series of events... the crew doesn't just wake up one day, and say "Hey guys, lets throw the CO overboard". Anyhow... without knowing what the series of events were that led to the mutiny... it's hard to comment on it. Apparently things went afoul on the ship; 2 days after leaving port.

What makes this even more suspicious is that the rest of the (south african) crew allowed this to happen... most crew members would stick up for their captain in an event like this. The fact that the rest of the crew members turned a blind eye to the captains distress (some even thought it was quite funny) says to me, that theres alot of things not being mentioned here.

Like I said before, I'm not going to comment on the article until more information is released from the investigation.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Sounds like they need a few things to resolve this mutiny:

1. Steven Segal as the Cook but also a martial arts expert.
2. A Cake with Erika Eleniak in it.
3. Some loud speakers playing 'All Along The Watchtower'.

The rest should sort itself out, might need to send in a clean up crew thou.

<<   2  3 >>

join