It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.62 milly PSS Silent Pistol

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Those canny Ivans have come up with a rather interesting little pistol known as the PSS - NATO reporting name - VuL.

It is a blowback operated pistol, similar to the Makarov. The PSS fires the SP-4 7.62 x 41 ww mm silent round. (Apparently it makes the same sound as an air rifle)

The pistol has no conventional suppressor, each cartridge containing a piston between the propelling charge and the cylindrically shaped bullet.

When fired, the propelling charge drives the internal piston and bullet forward where the piston is stopped by the cartridge's shoulder, where it 'obturates' the propelling the gases inside the cartridge case as the bullet is propelled forward.

Allegedly, the SP-4 round can penetrate 2 mm of verticle steel plate or standard battlefield helmets at a range of 25 m with enough energy to kill.

As you all know, there are 2 sounds when a weapon is fired, the loud 'bang' caused by the rapidly expanding gases and that of the round which travells at supersonic speed. Those cany Russians have solved the latter problem by developing the 'closed-circuit' round (as described above), by using less propellant and also by using the heavier 7.62 milly round.

Only drawback I can see, is the pathetic 6 round mag but, I think you'll all agree an otherwise neat little shooter.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Gotta love those Russian silenced rounds, i'm a big fan of those 9x39mm rounds, SP6 and such.

I love the VSS.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This weapon is reported as being 22 years old now. But this is the first I am hearing about it.

" The PSS was designed for the KGB in 1983 as a special silent pistol, useful primarily in assassination. It fires the silent SP-4 cartridge, which features an internal gas lock that essentially eliminates all sound without the need for a suppressor. The loudest noise is that of the weapon cycling, making it as stealthy as an airgun. All this can be achieved in a very small weapon, due to the lack of a suppressor. The subsonic SP-4 cartridge can also penetrate a steel helmet at 25 meters."
conspiracyx0.tripod.com...

Other sources say it went into service in 1981.
microbalrog.fuzioncentral.net...

[edit on 9-6-2005 by AZLS1]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
oops I quoted myself.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by AZLS1]

top topics

join