It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why would an alien come here?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Why would a woman spend months studying mountain gorillas?
Why does Steve Irwin enjoy grabbing crocs by the tail?

It's often puzzling why humans do what they do, so why should it be any less puzzling as to alien motivations....???

I guess mods can't get way-aboves, as there are no options for it.

Nope, we're exempt from that. Nor can we Applaud! each other (except for ATSNN for some reason...) Anyhoo, most of us have won WATS once or twice or more long, long ago...hehe...
back when members. I think I speak for most of us when I say that just kind words are worth more than such awards these days...

As for the topic...

Imagine if we found some little fuzzy critters (non-intelligent) roaming around Mars...

Do you think we'd be like..."nah, not worth investigating..." or do you think we'd be mounting scientific expeditions? Now imagine it if those same little critters were building things. Wouldn't WE go check it out? Why assume the aliens are different in this regard? We're the most advanced species on the planet (that we know of), and yet we have people who study the most primitive life forms, for a living. Surely the aliens likewise have such scholars...despite their general aims or tendancies....
Just something to think about.....

Or, maybe they just like our tv shows and movies...

We're dealing with motives that are, by definition, alien to human thought...we can only guess....

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I would think that once a highly intelligent civilization reaches a certain point they would almost be forced to explore. It just seems like a natural thing to want to explore, but hey I'm human.

That a civilization would just happen to find us, maybe we were just in their neck of the woods.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Imagine if we found some little fuzzy critters (non-intelligent) roaming around Mars...

Do you think we'd be like..."nah, not worth investigating..." or do you think we'd be mounting scientific expeditions? Now imagine it if those same little critters were building things. Wouldn't WE go check it out? Why assume the aliens are different in this regard? We're the most advanced species on the planet (that we know of), and yet we have people who study the most primitive life forms, for a living. Surely the aliens likewise have such scholars...despite their general aims or tendancies....
Just something to think about.....

mars is VERY close compared to any plantes that might actually have intelligent life on it. what i don't understand is why don't the aliens study planets that are less than 40000 years away? they would have to travel AT LEAST that far just to watch a tiny little planet that is already killing itself because it feels like it. and thats the CLOSEST solar system to us. if they could travel that far with ease would they not go a little farther to reach a more deserving planet?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by midgetstar
they would have to travel AT LEAST that far just to watch a tiny little planet that is already killing itself because it feels like it.

But we have no clue as to their transportation factor. A trip such as you speak may take them but only 40 minutes.

and thats the CLOSEST solar system to us. if they could travel that far with ease would they not go a little farther to reach a more deserving planet?

What's to say they do not?

Misfit

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Where are you getting your info?

The closest Solar system is Alfa Centauri , which is 4.22 LY's away from Earth. That’s about 10,000 times closer than you stated.

Why would Aliens share your pessimistic view of Earth?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   

mars is VERY close compared to any plantes that might actually have intelligent life on it. what i don't understand is why don't the aliens study planets that are less than 40000 years away? they would have to travel AT LEAST that far just to watch a tiny little planet that is already killing itself because it feels like it. and thats the CLOSEST solar system to us. if they could travel that far with ease would they not go a little farther to reach a more deserving planet?

Kind of along the lines of Gazrok's explanation.. ok so say we discover some new life form on mars, and they are building little structures, and they have split into different 'races' or what not, and they are fighting each other over things and killing and making little motorized vehicles that pollute. It just makes things that much more interesting, were not going to say 'oh my these creatures are killing and polluting, lets go somewhere else to find another life form more deserving to be studied'

[edit on 13-6-2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman

The closest Solar system is Alfa Centauri , which is 4.22 LY's away from Earth. That’s about 10,000 times closer than you stated.

nobody ever said anything about light years....

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
But, who is really to say that they act that differently than us? The same physical laws apply. They have the same basic need to survive. Whether you believe in God or evolution, the same force created them. We have all the same basic needs and junk

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Yeah, we really should not be expecting any certain thing when it comes to aliens. For all we know it could just be alien nature to obliterate anything thats not them. They could come here to rape our cows or to confiscate every B string off of our guitars. The point is as comforting as it is to think that aliens are not too different from ourselves in appearance and motives, we have no idea and we wont until we finally come into contact with them.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by xxblackoctoberxx]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Two reasons.....

1) Everyone loves to go slummin' every once in a while!

2) Come here, record our lives, and take back their finding to show their own people. This gives their people an automatic boost in morale and self-esteem.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Lets see, Our TOTAL reckless use of nuclear energy, totally un renewable consumption of naturals resources, The fact that now we are polluting space, If i was them i would just finish the job where trying to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Let's see why would an alien come here? Maybe it's for pizza, beer, or the hot women. Perhaps they intercepted a Star Wars broadcast and have come to investigate where our Death Star is hiding at. We obviously are a very devious and conspiring species to build such an object and then to publicly broadcast it out into space for all to see. However no alien can find any trace of it. We must be extremely devious and good at hiding things and definitely are getting watched now.

Perhaps we are being watched because our species was simply genetically engineered as a lab experiment on a planet in the middle of nowhere. We are totally out of control now and the alien scientists are debating what to do about this problem. You are being monitored.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I like the betting explanation. (not that I believe it)
How entertaining would we be from an advanced ETI perspective.
I trully believe if you are a advanced space fairing race - distance means nothing (very old school unit of measure). So coming here isn't so much of an issue. I don't think you could pass by this blue rock unless we are just so insignificant/boring that stopping here is a waste of 'time'.

Who knows, life harbouring planets may just be intergalactic zoo's for the primitive species.............. and to the left we have a primative planet filled with a wide variety life, of particular interest is the humanoid, this meat sack has potential for wonderful things however is caught in a oppresive, monetary social environment ruled by warlords and mass murderers which no doubt will end in self destruction. Now onto the next planet..............

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
quartz crystals are useful, authentic ones that is

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   

nobody ever said anything about light years....

O.K. your not talking light years here ? What are you talking about ?

What do you mean 40,000 years away if your not talking about light years?

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

maybe u should look around, ive found many different websites with this info, here is one

click here

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   

maybe u should look around, ive found many different websites with this info, here is one
click here

I see the one instance of this term on that page.

But it still does not give answer to the question by lost_shaman, which is quite valid. The factor of or variance of velocity is missing.

I could say it takes me 12 hours to get to the west side of my state, but that implies nothing of how far it is, as I don't say how fast I am travelling.

It may be a relative implication within an astronomical community (such as, this to you: "got a ticket for 45 in a 30", the variable is implied and accepted), but not for average joe that likes space.

Misfit

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
O.K. fine after reading two and a half pages , I see that you mean at a speed of 30km/s, it would take a man-made spacecraft 40,000 years to get to Alfa Centauri.

How does this have any relation to an Alien visitation?

You would have to assume that they (Aliens) can only travel at the speed of a man-made spacecraft. ( I personally think speeds much , much higher than this can be achieved.)

Also keep in mind that the faster you travel the slower time passes. ( This effect becomes more pronounced the closer to ( c ) light speed that you get.)

30 km/s seems like a lot , until you realize that is only 70,647 m/p/h . We have SCAM jet engines that cruise at 7,500 m/p/h , roughly 1/10th that speed in the atmosphere, and we are talking about space , where there is no resistance from the air in the atmosphere. If you accelerated at one G for one year, you would be traveling , much , much faster than this.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

O.K. fine after reading two and a half pages , I see that you mean at a speed of 30km/s, it would take a man-made spacecraft 40,000 years to get to Alfa Centauri.

Do you understand it to be that it is "the" accepted number, always to be used in this scenario?

Would rather ask ya than go read the 2 1/2 pages of something that would probly baffel me anyway, lol (do you feel used now? lmao).

Thanx

Misfit

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

From Midget star's Link

Current spacecraft can get up to about 30 km/sec. At that speed it will take them 10,000 years to travel one light year. About 40,000 years to get to the nearest star, maybe 100,000 years to get to the nearest Earth-like planet, even if they are not rare.
We would have to travel 1000 times faster to get to the nearest star in a human lifetime. This requires 1,000,000 times more energy to get the spacecraft going that fast (remember energy goes like speed squared!).

This reminds me of something Seth Shostek (SETI), would say , when trying to make a point that Aliens can't be here. I , however, tend to side with Stanton Friedman on these issuses.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join