It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some concepts for a HUMVEE replacement(photos and pics)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Somebody asked for survivability in battlefield.. NAMERA
An APC made from Merkava hull

As for a hummer replacement maybe some RAMs

or

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The first one and the Shadow look good but the others are either two ugly or can be taken out with a pistol.

Funny! In NI the Paras and RMs cruised Belfast in unarmoured, open-tpped Land Rovers. The perfect vehicle for a rapid response to terrorist ambushes in urban areas.

If you want to replace the Humvee then buy Land Rover Defender Wolves.

After Desert Storm the British Army tested the Humvees. From memory the only test it outperformed the Landie in was its max-load carrying ability. The Humvee is a purpose-built military vehicle, the Land Rover Wolf is an adaptation of a purpose-built civilian vehicle and yet it has better cross-country ability, better mud/slush/snow/sand ability, more adaptability, more stability at top speed, more passenger space...aaand the four by four and six by six are completely compatible in every department for spares swapping. (except the SAS' six by sixes which have a different, more powerful engine).

I've never driven a Humvee, but the only 4-wheel drive I've driven that outperformed the various Landies I've driven was the...Lada Niva!

Just look at 22ASAS' Land Rover Perentie six by sixes. All tooled up for a Saturday night out in Taliban country!

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Niva rocks... not
but try the good old UAZ, it outperforms Defenders easily (in anything but comfort) Finnish army still uses and UAZs that russians gave us during the '80s (buy a SAM and get UAZ for free
)
But to be honest it's only a old ww2 Jeep reverse enginered and simplified

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I'm serious. And it was in the desert! Coil springs on all four corners, five speeds, locking central diff, full-time 4-wheel drive, high range/low range (yes, yes, they've all got that!), could do 150 down the highway with only a 1400 petrol engine!
Plus it went through the once-in-a-decade rains, I mean floods, and spent two weeks pulling bogged Toyotas out of the mud!
After that I understood how they could place 9 in the top 10 at Dakar.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PBscientist
Are you proposing they take the turret off of a tank and give it some passenger room? RPG's are designed to take out tanks, and some of the IEDs will obliterate any tank out there if it gets a direct hit.

If IEDs are obliterating tanks and rpgs are punching thru them.....then simply abandon them. Their sole purpose is to withstand hits. If IEDs are knocking them off the road, then they loose their purpose no?

Also, I am aware that rpgs are causing problems for bradelys and hummers, but I havent' heard about tanks getting obliterating over there.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
yeah, I'd go for the first one too... It look good, safe and it might go very fast...

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   

NWguy83
Hummer is designing a new Humvee, I wonder what it will look like.

Are you talking about the H3? Which is basically a smaller version of the H2.

[edit on 26-8-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

northwolf
Somebody asked for survivability in battlefield.. NAMERA

They want wheels not tracks, and they want it to be quick, and designed for todays urban battlefields.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
An ATS EXCLUSIVE!!! The Pentagon just released the replacement for the Hummer. Its a "cost effective" design with mobility and tranportation as a key feature. And at a cost of only $1440 per copy (thats right) how can they go wrong?

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MurcielagoAre you talking about the H3? Which is basically a smaller version of the H2.

No, I think they were talking about a new military vehicle.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by grunt2
dont search for more, you have the solution...

like a french would say.............viva le france

[edit on 25-8-2005 by grunt2]

That looks smaller and faster then the what we have right now, which is exactly what FCS vehicles are all about. Better mobility because they are smaller and faster.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I like the armoered patrol concept and the Cobra for smaller vehicles, the Ding II looks like a good mid size choice and I think they should make a heavily armoered version of the Oshkosh M1070 as a heavy weight bruiser.

they need to developed a unmanned turret weapons system so the gunner isn't exposed to taking from rooftops and what not.

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Here is a smaller Mowag Eagle, not as huge as the IV.

Smaller Eagle

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I just heard about this a couple of months ago...they move quickly.

The Ultra Armored Patrol Vehicle is built.

This site shows some high-res shots of it.
Ultra Armored Patrol Vehicle

the link
a concept vehicle that illustrates design and technology options for increased survivability and mobility for future vehicles. It features an innovative survivable crew capsule, which would utilize a new combination of armor materials; a commercial truck chassis; and faceted crew capsule geometries that would provide better deflection of pressure waves from blasts, when compared with current configurations. The Ultra is slightly larger than the HMMWV and is diesel powered.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Many thanks to NASCAR for their contributions to that one, jetsetter.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PBscientist
Are you proposing they take the turret off of a tank and give it some passenger room? RPG's are designed to take out tanks, and some of the IEDs will obliterate any tank out there if it gets a direct hit.

Things like this would be nice if they were feasible, but I can't see it realistically happening.

There are many things wrong with your statement. For one that the M1A2SEP Abrams tank can certaintly take multiple RPG hits to the hull and still be in combat shape, perhaps not the M1A1, but M1A2SEP sure as hell can, and so can the new Challenger 2 tank, in fact, the Challenger 2 has a higher survivability than the M1A2SEP thanks to a new innovative armor that the British are not telling anyone about.(Like how the armor is made)

As far as IEDs go, a well placed IED on any vehice, can take it out. The M1A2SEP has UD armor, c'mon, you'd need a HEAT or Sabot, or even UD round to pierce the armor of one of America's MBT's. They aren't anything to mess with, and certainly not that suspectable to insurgent firearms. Perhaps IEDs, like I said, place an IED in a weak spot, and boom it all goes to hell, but that's different from RPGs.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

yes the american workers would get paid by irsal but the u.s. government would give them the money to buy them

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join