It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if the aliens are so advanced.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
The next time anyone gets abducted or is in contact with aliens, ask the aliens to provide a short proof of Fermats last Theorem or the Goldbach Conjecture and if the aliens do not know what it is then I will write out the simple equation with the exponents, so you can have it handy next time you see one. Also please provide video so that we can be sure you didn't cheat

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Great, as long as they can then prove that it is indeed aliens and not a gov't agency mind trick making that person think it was aliens.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   

The next time anyone gets abducted or is in contact with aliens, ask the aliens to provide a short proof of Fermats last Theorem or the Goldbach Conjecture and if the aliens do not know what it is then I will write out the simple equation with the exponents, so you can have it handy next time you see one. Also please provide video so that we can be sure you didn't cheat

What makes you think that the aliens would have heard of Fermat or Goldbach? For them it may be Zerbo's Theorem or the Griznak Conjecture...
Not to mention, I doubt most of us could write out the chemical formula for gasoline, but oddly enough, I never found it as a requirement when turning the key and getting around...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Math is universal. We did not create it. I am sure if they can figure out how to defy gravity and read minds then they can surely understand what 1-9 represents. Assuming they can count. Oh and by the way the chemical formula for gasoline is C6 H18, Maybe you should learn that, among other things, before you drive or make a post. Knowledge without experience is just information. We don't want you getting in a wreck.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kleversdad
Math is universal. We did not create it. I am sure if they can figure out how to defy gravity and read minds then they can surely understand what 1-9 represents. Assuming they can count. Oh and by the way the chemical formula for gasoline is C6 H18, Maybe you should learn that, among other things, before you drive or make a post. Knowledge without experience is just information. We don't want you getting in a wreck.

Well, yes we did create it. It isn't created. Their numbering system could be totally different, their thinking could be as well. I would think it weird if they knew what 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 were.

Should you understand exactly how a computer works before using one? You should have a nice idea, but understanding how the motherboard is designed doesn't really help you browse your favorite blogs. And I especially don't see how that affects one's ability to post.

And, to be honest, there's a large range of hydrocarbons that constitute fuel. Propane, butane, etc.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
One is one no matter what you call it. It is nothing more than the human brain being able to seperate and then calculate. Koko the Gorilla could identify solo objects and seperate accordingly. It didn't matter if they said one was glook. It was nothing more than site recognition. Could the gorrila do complex math? No but it could regonize the seperation of several objects without grouping them into one all without an understanding of numbers. So to say that an alien can build an antigravity machine but not recognize one as unit of measure is just plain ignorant. I am not trying to bash you but please at least make your argument based on fact not semantics. numbers existed before we ever gave them a name. It is like the old saying goes, did God invent math or did math invent God. oh and yes I am aware of the different formulas for gasoline, not fuel which was the topic of debate, but for the sake of the post I generalized, which is the accepted "average" formula.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Kleversdad]

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Kleversdad]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Kleversdad assumes far too much on ET capabilities. Not only is it possible that they may not be able to communicate with you if you ever see one, you can't assume that these beings would want to honor such a request.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Your assuming the aliens evolved in a exact environement with all the same varibles. To even get the idea to create a unit of measurement or even get an idea in the first place requires human knowledge, not alien knowledge. It is inconvceivable for you to try to understand, unless your thrown in the shoes of an alien, even then, who knows?

Math is not universal, we created it. You understand everything we say or do in our languages is all of HUMAN idea, all of HUMAN origin. Even the entire idea of science, we just can use that to help explain and predict things that will happen.

Assuming that math explains/and is everything is a very unlogical, close-minded and even depressing way of thought.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Ksnazdnzon]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Seriously, we should stop assuming so much about something that we don't know anything about.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
Kleversdad assumes far too much on ET capabilities. Not only is it possible that they may not be able to communicate with you if you ever see one, you can't assume that these beings would want to honor such a request.

What E.T.'s?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Seriously, we should stop assuming so much about something that we don't know anything about.

how can we know anything about nothing?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Let's give them a real test...

See if they can dial a cell phone with one hand while sipping a super hot double mocha latte with the other while driving in rush hour traffic at 70 MPH and shaving or applying makeup at the same time.

Remember -- in 1947 they couldn't avoid hitting the ground in the middle of a big empty desert.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   

What E.T.'s?

You're the one asking for somebody to ask for E.T.s to solve a math problem. Shouldn't you know?

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Frith]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Ya! Geese! Gosh! Freekin ----- Everyone should know that!
And before you drive, know the Formula for oil, or you could blow up, and stearing weal, and brakes, and headlights, or you could blow up, and that drink your drinking, or you could choke, and die, and then that would be bad... So know it!

But ya, Math is supposed to be a 'perfection'.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
'If Alians are so advanced', then why cant they open door knobs?
Hmm... A true consperacy before us

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
kleversdad, your an idiot, aliens aret gunna automatically know those theories. they could have a completely different math sequence, and of course probably different characters. your a new person(id call you newbie but i hate that word and im still a newbie) thats just trying to make yourself sound smart, anyone can copy the formula for gasoline off of google. think your so smart? i know the chmicle fomula for water, its hijklmno, h to o. simple

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
It is such narrow, unscientific thinking that the Church once held. Now "science" holds the same ridiculous notions.

Math is a human concept that we use to measure things. Do stars add one and one? Meteors? No, math is not universal. We cannot fathom what another species from another plant might think. How they might percieve or measure. They might have a completely different system, or percieve things differently from ours.

It is ignorance to assume that our artifically created theories are the end of all knowledge. We havent even scratched the surface of the answers for our own existance. Who the hell are we to assume what answers lie beyond this ball of rock?

1+1 is not universal, only to the human mind or those with similar perception/function. Its all based on how the human mind percieves and catalouges.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   

The Surrealist wrote
'If Alians are so advanced'

LOL!

TheBandit795 wrote

Ding, ding, ding! And TheBandit wins the battle of the thread.

What are you still doing here? It's over.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Oh and by the way the chemical formula for gasoline is C6 H18, Maybe you should learn that, among other things, before you drive or make a post. Knowledge without experience is just information. We don't want you getting in a wreck.

Perhaps you'd like to try attacking my points versus hurling insults?
Just a thought....

Oh, and by the way, the formula for gasoline varies between C6H14 and C12H26, but a good average octane compound is about C8H18.

My point is that if an abductee is chatting with an alien, the alien may have no idea of "our" names for such math problems, so demanding this as proof isn't very realistic.

Personally, I've seen hoax after hoax, misidentification after misidentification, etc. etc. However, there are also those that defy conventional explanation and logic, and if even ONE of those cases are real...then the implications are incredible.

Still waiting on that logical idea of what crashed at Roswell...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yeah!
There is finally other posters argueing on my side of the discussion.

It really all does come down to that we are just human and should understand the limatations of this, and look at everything through the eyes of how it should be looked through, beyond our understanding.

We can't think they'd think like us, we just have to find out if they are here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join