It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Muslims desecrate American flag

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

am a Christian AMERICAN. You have no respect for my faith.

So, some might say you are no better than those who desecrate the flag b/c you're a Godless heathen who has no respect for others.

I wont hate you for your faith I just don't believe in any religion, I would just as soon believe in Santa Clause then believe in god. Heathen? What is this the middle ages, and how does me not believing makes me disrespectful or put me in a level with people who burn the flag?

Maybe you won't want the world to watch your beheading 20 minutes later on the internet.

Ha, if they tried some BS like that her in the States but they know better.

But why exactly would burning a flag indicate the person should have their citizenship stripped?

Because it shows your lack of respect for this country and the American people, the flag represents both. And we don't need people like that in the U.S.

That's along the same lines as "if you badmouth the government here, we'll have you executed".

No its not, If you want to complain/protest the Government go ahead but the Flag doesn't only represent the govern its represents our Nation and what it embodies. What are you proving by burning the flag? Are you proving that you hate the country you live in?

[edit on 10-6-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

But they tried to fly 2 planes laden with passengers into a couple of buildings, and succeeded. I figure they'd be willing to cut your head off... just outside the windows of the Today show. Right behind Katie Curic, while some guy holds up a "HI MOM" sign.

Plus, people get beheaded all the time in the US.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by cargo]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo

Plus, people get beheaded all the time in the US.

What? :shk:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
So, some might say you are no better than those who desecrate the flag b/c you're a Godless heathen who has no respect for others.

How does being a godless heathen equate to having no respect for others?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus

Yeah and burning our flag should not only get your citizenship stripped...you outta get an a** beating to go with it.

The day that law passes is the day I start burning flags.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Moretti, to americans the US flag is sacred. Blood and sweat have been shed for it, it symbolizes our struggle for freedom, and our victory in obtaining that freedom, countless years are on that flag, countless lives,countless hardships, and countless triumphs. Do you realise for an american flag to touch the ground it must be nburned in an honor ceremony?

The Supreme Court pretty much took care of that issue. It is often dangerous to attach too much meaning to symbols, but at the same time, when a tangible thing (flag) represents a non-tangible thing (nation), it is only natural for people to become a little sentimental, especially when they have something invested in that which the symbol represents.

The problem today is that way too many Americans have nothing at all invested in the largesse they so freely negotiate. What is worse, they think that they owe nothing to those who gave up everything so they can wear jewelry on the tongue and wear their trousers below their butts. They live in a country that most of the world would risk death to enter and they feel it is too much to do their best, much less sacrifice something in return.

When the riots of the "anti-war" movement turned our streets and campuses into combat zones, my parents were aghast, wondering what levels of cowardice the next generation would be capable of. I, having just returned from Vietnam, could only think that such a nation doesn't deserve its freedom. That sentiment remains. I can only be responsible for myself. I can't depend, in my advancing age, on a generation of the young who will freely pay the only price freedom demands.

In the final analysis, I can only say that when my time comes to go, doing so with a rifle in my hands and a scumbag in my sights will be the best I could hope for.

[edit on 05/6/12 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
In what way did the Vietnam war make America stronger or safer?

Seems to me that the protesters were right after all: it was a bloody dumb idea.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
The war in Vietnam was a front in the global war against the communist expansionism. The Cold War was not so cold. There were hot wars in Central America, Africa, and Asia. Vietnam was one of those hot spots. We were not able to save S. Vietnam for a variety of reason, most notably, the "anti-war" movement, but militarily, we dominated the battlefields. Had the US stayed the course, North Vietnam could have been defeated. The most important thing however, given the outcome, is that the US demonstrated it's strategic and tactical adaptability to our adversaries and helped, in no small measure, in concert with other fronts to cripple communism expansion.

IBM

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
These muslims should be lucky to live in a country where freedom of speech exists in which one can criticse thier own government. What would have happend if they bured thier own flag in another muslim country. Shame on them and all the flag burners.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IBM
These muslims should be lucky to live in a country where freedom of speech exists in which one can criticse thier own government. What would have happend if they bured thier own flag in another muslim country. Shame on them and all the flag burners.

Doesn't freedom of expression count then? Does it only count when we agree with the sentiment?

IBM

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Tinkleflower there is better way to criticise the government than flag burning, it is very offensive. Voting for instance is one method. When a person burns a flag he/she is buring all that the country represents, including freedom of speech. It is a shamefull mockery. What good will it accomplish excpet to gather negative attention.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There was a psychological study done of different nationalities by the BBC which I saw.

They had parties from different countries at a holiday resort and recorded their reactions to specific situations.

In one sitation a small flag of the groups nation was partly burned and they found it when they got up in the morning.

The british, Germans and one other nationality never bothered about it. Didn't attach much signifigence to it at all.

However the American group did, with one person taking the flag away to repair, and others being shocked.

The different reactions we see in this thread are reflections of different socialization processes.

What may be consdiered american overreactions to their flag being burned, is just a refelction of the importance that the flag is held in American society. Other nationalities attach less importance to their flags so therefore see the american reactions as over the top.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Marilyn Manson regularly wipes the US flag on his arse in concerts.

Is that art?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
flag burning is protected by the constitution its free speech.
i would not get upset about that bush dose way more to disgrace the usa.

thats is odd that that would not be on the new and also why non of the faces where shown the only one was a abar waving his fist.

i think that it is a fake.

the us is no longer free slowly but surely we are losing our freedom.
europe is more free then the us now

[edit on 12-6-2005 by INFOAGENT_X]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   

You have voted GradyPhilpott for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have one more vote left for this month.

Flag burning or desecration id wrong!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I haven't read the entire thread.......it's a doooooooozey.......but...

Who cares what anyone does with the American Flag? What does the flag(any flag for that matter), do? I know what it stands for and symbolizes, so what does it do?

Answer.......Absolutely Nothing!!!!! If a bunch of people who I will never encounter are going to burn a piece of cloth in the hopes of getting my ire, whoop de doo..........I mean.......no, stop, please don't do that....*sips martini*.....anything but that......

Come on, it's a flag........

BTW.....I'm American and would burn a flag in a second if I didn't have anything better to do..........does that mean I care less about my fellow man? Decidedly not......

[edit on 13-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
So because it doesn't do anything its ok to burn it? Maybe I should come to your house and take you old grandma picture or you family pictures and burn them, they do nothing so its ok.
Burning or desecrating the flag accomplishes only one thing, it shows the world that you're an A Hole with no respect and intelligence.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

So because it doesn't do anything its ok to burn it? Maybe I should come to your house and take you old grandma picture or you family pictures and burn them, they do nothing so its ok.
Burning or desecrating the flag accomplishes only one thing, it shows the world that you're an A Hole with no respect and intelligence.

That's exactly the point though - these things are ITEMS. As such, they only represent ideals put upon them by the owner of that item.

It's disrespectful to do such things to ANY personal item that is held dearly it's owner.

Whether it's a flag, a photograph, holy book, whatever - it's disrespectful either way, and no one item is better or more deserving than another; thus, there should be no greater penalty for destroying one, than the other.

Freedom of expression is a big thing in this country - and if it's going to exist, then it should exist fairly and objectively; that means it should be no greater crime to burn a flag, than it would be to burn a Bible, or anything else personally valued.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Come on guys, don't you know that everytime a US flag gets burnt a fairy falls down dead?

Seriously though, I do find it a rather disrespectful thing to do when living in the same country. Saying this I can imagine their reasons for doing it.

I also do find it strange that so many Americans worry do much about a flag, but as someone else mentioned above about a study, its a learned thing.

Last time I was in the US, me and my family noticed how flags are everywhere, we jokingly said it must be because they forget what country they are in.

Myself, I don't care who does what to my countrys flag, its just a cloth. In my opinion it is nothing but a symbol so people know which country you are from in sports or who not to shoot at in war. I don't see a flag as representing what my country is about, the people do that.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I always thought burning a U.S. Flag was the only legal way to destroy it? Or at least that was how my friend in the USAF explained it to me and how Manson gets away with in when he is on tour...

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join