It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Muslims desecrate American flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
religion. Too many lives have been wasted throughout the past on 'religious' wars. All people need to let others worship whomever/whatever they want. It's really pathetic that so many people put their 'faith' in material which was written so long ago by so many different people. Actually when one looks into different religions; they all seem to have the same answers and it's humans that twist these for their own selfish gains.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman
religion. Too many lives have been wasted throughout the past on 'religious' wars. All people need to let others worship whomever/whatever they want. It's really pathetic that so many people put their 'faith' in material which was written so long ago by so many different people. Actually when one looks into different religions; they all seem to have the same answers and it's humans that twist these for their own selfish gains.

wow, one couldn't have said that better! THe USA has an amendment that frees all religon and seperates it from state. Still, there are people that think they are better than others and still condem other religons. Although that attitude is slowly dying out, any religous intolerance of any kind can set a spark that starts a forest fire.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They are both symbols of something that someone believes in. How about burning the old union Jack, or does that not matter?

If there are Americans in the street pissing on and burning Muslim Holy books, then start an arguement. If there are some overzealous soldiers who do something out of line, blame them not the nation. I am tired of the anti-US rhetoric, real tired.

When I see a group burning the flag, should I blame the group, or Muslims as a whole?

Remember, the flag is a symbol of freedom, and alot of people sure seemed patriotic after 9/11. What happened to the flags?

Let them have at it, it is better than strapping C-4 to their chest and going to a playground..

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Who gets arrested 1st, the flag burners or the koran burners?

Well, since burning the flag is not against the law...

That's kind of a no-brainer.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Who said it was acceptable to desocrate the Koran? What group of US citizen demonstrators are doing this??????

Someone PLEASE show me one instance where a group of US citizens publicly burned or flushed a Koran in a demonstration. Don't bring up the Guantanamo incident or any other military related story. I'm talking about an instance where the American citizens were doing this.

I have not heard of any. And I guarantee you if it were happening it would be FRONT PAGE news!

So please don't let me see anyone try and justify a group of US muslims burning the flag because of the "alleged" Koran flushing incident. It just doesn't work.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake
So please don't let me see anyone try and justify a group of US muslims burning the flag because of the "alleged" Koran flushing incident. It just doesn't work.

I don't think anyone on this thread has tried to justify American Muslims burning the flag.

What this thread does highlight, however, is the hypocrisy of those who scream bloody murder when our flag is burned - but don't share the outrage when someone's holy book is mishandled.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

What this thread does highlight, however, is the hypocrisy of those who scream bloody murder when our flag is burned - but don't share the outrage when someone's holy book is mishandled.

True, but this thread also highlights the hypocrasy of those who burn flags or burn bibles..whatever and scream freedom of speech but get pissed whenever someone desecrates the Koran.

It works both ways....

[edit on 9/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

I don't think anyone on this thread has tried to justify American Muslims burning the flag.

Sure there has...perhaps not outright, but in a roundabout way there have been several posts justifying the burning of the flag because it is thought that US citizens try to justify the desocration of the Koran. It's just not the case...people are not justifying the burning, flushing, or destroying of the koran.

Desecrate Holy Qu'Ran? YES.

Burn American Flag? NO.

Hmmmmm....

Burn the flag!
What a waste of time,
why not just flush it down the toilet, afterall it worked well at Guantanamo, oh, don't forget to deny it afterwards.

There's a hell of a difference between a piece of cloth made in china and a holy book whether that book is the koran, the bible or whatever holy book.

If you're are asking me why is is ok to burn the flag but not the book you should also be asking the fundamentalist christians on this site why is is ok to desecrate the koran but it not ok to let an american flag even touch the ground.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

[edit on 9-6-2005 by mpeake]

Citizens are exactly that, citizens. The government has a set of rules in place in order to ensure the safety of its civilians, and those rules are called laws. Now, when a representative of the government (i.e. a soldier) commits a crime, they are a personified representation OF our government. I would expect a government employee to act and present themselves a tad more responsibly than the citizens. Big difference dude, BIG difference...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm not arguiing that at all...and I completely agree with your point.

My point was that some of the posters here are implying that it is a common idea that among the general US pop, it's ok to desocrate the Koran, but it is wrong to burn the flag. I say that those opinions are wrong. I say that the general pop feels that both are wrong. Like I said, please show me where there has been public demonstrations (like the US muslims buring the US flag) where the Koran has been desocrated. It just doesn't happen, so it's not a valid arguing point.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
To tell you the truth, I don't think many non-Muslims even know it is possible to desecrate the Koran. The Koran is held in MUCH higher regard than we Christians usually hold the Bible, and I didn't even know all the rules and regulations tied up with the Koran before I started to read more about Islam. Absent flushing or peeing on it, which are obvious forms of desecration, you shouldn't ever hold your feet above it (like putting your feet on a table which is at a higher elevation than the Koran) it should never touch the floor, you should never touch it after eating (unless you have washed) etc etc.

Also, acting out is not really an American trait which is acceptable in our culture. Whether it be in hate or love, it is much more acceptable in the Middle-East to chant and sing in the streets than it would be here, so perhaps these public displays of raw emotion exist less in the US not out of respect, but instead in observance of cultural norms.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Right or wrong is not the issue here. Soldiers have gone off to die defending our right to burn that flag if you or I choose to do so. Silencing dissent is the current trend, unless of course you fit a certain profile or advance an agenda.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
True, but this thread also highlights the hypocrasy of those who burn flags or burn bibles..whatever and scream freedom of speech but get pissed whenever someone desecrates the Koran.
It works both ways....

Who has done that? I, for one, have stated both of those actions are abhorent to me. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over someone burning a flag, though. A flag is a symbol, albeit a powerful one. The Koran is another matter altogether. Can you imagine if the radical Muslims started pissing on or burning Bibles in protest? All hell would break loose with Christian fundamentalists. I don't think the Muslims would do that, though; b/c they (at least the moderates) see that book also as sacred text.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Who has done that? I, for one, have stated both of those actions are abhorent to me. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over someone burning a flag, though.

*quote from another ECK post*

I agree...in my first post I said the samething as you....I really don't care if people piss, kick or flush the bible, flag or Koran....it's thier freedom of speech, let them have it. I don't think Soldiers should do it....it's very unprofessional and disrespectful. Especially to burn the Koran in a Muslim country....just wrong. IMO.

Who? arnold_vosloo, that's who. It's all good. he brought up some good points...but his post clearly show that he did not condone the US flushing Korans....but he's cool with buring flags.

It works both ways....I think both acts are childish, unprofessional and disrespectful, but does that make them any worse than the other? No it does not. Some hold the Koran sacred, other do not. Some hold the US flag sacred, other do not.

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo

makes me feel good inside

www.esquilax.com...

Originally posted by arnold_vosloo
Me myself I will continue to support the burning of the US flag, the constitution, Union Jack, Israeli flag or whatever for as long as you sheep continue to blindly follow and believe the lies spewed out by the Bush/blair rogue regimes.

[edit on 9/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Do you realise for an american flag to touch the ground it must be nburned in an honor ceremony?

That's an urban legend.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
I think both acts are childish, unprofessional and disrespectful, but does that make them any worse than the other? No it does not

No arguments, mate.

If folks are so pissed off over flagburning, I say they should throw themselves into the political process and try and get a law passed against it. Otherwise they're just blowing hot air.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
First of all I wonder if these were really Muslims, not another group trying to defame Muslims?

Second if you have a choice, do you "desecrate," a slave labor Chinese facsimile of a US flag, or do you desecrate the Constitution as our Congress appears to do while our leaders call it "quaint?"

Third, did you notice how all the press is about enraged people reacting to flag burning which is extremely rare, while the same people seem to care dirt about what has become an almost daily usurpation of the Constitution?

[edit on 9-6-2005 by SkipShipman]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

If folks are so pissed off over flagburning, I say they should throw themselves into the political process and try and get a law passed against it. Otherwise they're just blowing hot air.

Yup you got it, hot air. People should know by now that change is not gonna happen just by protesting, unless you have like 50,000,000 people....but I doubt that's ever gonna happen. And if they do start a political process it will not make it that far with this case. Banning the burning of American flags is a violation of FOS. So all they really can do is huff and puff hot air. I don't see why they waste thier time....but it's thier time, not mine.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
There have been movements to make burning the flag illegal. It never goes anywhere, though, b/c the right to free speech always trumps it in court.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
i dont really give a dam about who burns the American flag as long as they aint burning my flag hanging on my door, so they can burn their own flag they buy with their own money. in ani case if these Muslim Americans believe that they helped conquer America by burning the flag they have alot more to learn than the action they made.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join