It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we survive living with aliens?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Considering the instinctive human desire to protect it's own clan at the expense of others, and our inability to accept the differences among ourselves, could we survive a long term visit to an alien planet?

Aliens could be very, very different from us. Even if they're friendly, they could be very strange. Is the human animal capable of accepting that strangeness and survive an environment that would challenge our ideas of what's normal and what isn't?

Living on an alien world would be culture shock beyond anything a human has ever known. The question is - are we up to the challenge, or are we stuck on Earth forever because of our own psychological limitations?

Humans are known for adapting, but does adaptation go that far?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I think some of them are ALLREADY here, and so far we are living as fine with them as we do anybody else.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Wouldn't they have to train extensively first to blend in with human populations? They couldn't know our cultures if they came from another planet, so they would have to study us for some time to figure out our behavior so they could imitate us.

What I'm talking about is US imitating THEM. I'm not sure it's realistic to think that an alien from a completely different planet is going to be just like us.

Couldn't they be so different that they're based on some totally different kind of life that never evolved on Earth? How would we react to an intelligent being that looked like something we didn't understand or maybe even couldn't comprehend? Not all life is bipedal humanoid.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
Aliens could be very, very different from us.

You have nominated AWingAndSigh for "Quote of the Month". You have 3 votes remaining.

First off, congratulations.

I guess if we are to look at this seriously--I will try--assuming that aliens exist, we find them, everything's cool, they invite us over for a house party, the biggest problem would probably be language/communication. But if that worked out, and the party was good, sure, we could adapt.

[EDIT: Ya know, I just thought of something. I used to have a roommate in college who was sooooo messy. I mean, he would leave dishes in the sink until mold started to grow on them. Gross! I couldn't even clean up because there were so many dishes in there. Eww! That, and he was always late with his cable and ADSL bill, but always have enough to spend on PS2 games. So, if the aliens were like that, then I would have to change my vote and go with 'No'. I hope they aren't like that. It can be really annoying. Oh, and he used to cut his toenails in the livingroom on the couch! Gross! I didn't even want to sit there when he was done!]

[edit on 9-6-2005 by backtoreality]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Considering the instinctive human desire to protect it's own clan at the expense of others, and our inability to accept the differences among ourselves, could we survive a long term visit to an alien planet?

The way i think it would go down is, sure, things would be alright at first but you know us humans, we would not trust a single thing about them. I bet the government, most likely the U.S., that goes to this alien planet would set up some sort of spying program and as soon as those aliens discovered it, which they would because theyre so darn smart and crafty they would EXPLODE US INTO A BILLION PIECES. just my thought.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
The biggest challenge would be to try to find some common frame of reference to use to establish communication. If their world is really different from ours, then even if they spoke fluent English and understood our culture, they would have a hard time describing their world in ways we could understand.

Communication itself would be a major problem because of the same lack of a common reference. Despite our differences, humans are still remarkably alike and the human experience has vast similarities. Relating to an alien who doesn't share our instincts or our evolution, who has lived on another planet that could be quite different, who might be a physical form that has no relation whatsoever to what we think of as life - well, adaptation could become quite a challenge. Even if we learn to communicate, there would be constant misunderstandings due to the lack of a common frame of reference. We might say 'hi - how you doing' and wave and an alien might interpret that as an attack because in their culture they wave to frighten adversaries before they charge.

I see the whole thing as being fraught with difficulty that would require an enormous amount of patience to overcome. Something most humans lack, I might add.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
No, no, I agree with you blacktober! They are so darn smart and crafty. That's why I think they would blow us into 2 BILLION PIECES!!! Those aliens; always on the cutting edge.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
This is a very kool topic, but my question would be if Aliens did land and became excepted by humans wouldn't it be rude to automaticaly accept them as our neighbors and grant them freedom in a world where we have 3rd world countries suffering from starvation and wars?

So would we give these aliens welfare and free housing, or are they gonna work for food?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Please, please don't let the aliens see the comments on this board as their first indicator of what humans are like. Groan. LOL.

It's intergalactic war for sure. No wonder the government wants to keep everything quiet. The aliens could have bigger guns, but we'd be the ones to start something. That's certain.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:08 AM
link   

We might say 'hi - how you doing' and wave and an alien might interpret that as an attack because in their culture they wave to frighten adversaries before they charge.

Right, right. That's scarry. That's why if I ever meet an alien, I'm just going to give him the piece sign. I mean, that's sooo universal. EVERYONE knows what it means.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndSEED
This is a very kool topic, but my question would be if Aliens did land and became excepted by humans wouldn't it be rude to automaticaly accept them as our neighbors and grant them freedom in a world where we have 3rd world countries suffering from starvation and wars?

So would we give these aliens welfare and free housing, or are they gonna work for food?

so what? we kick them out and hang a big do not disturb sign on the earth?
i think we would be obligated to let them in, but then again it all depends, if they were really advanced with big weapons of terrible power i would definately let them sleep here any night.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Heck no! The aliens better pick up the Wanted Ads on their way through the atmosphere. But it might be difficult for them to find a job. I mean, sure, they could stand in the window for a comic book store or be one of those guys who stand by the street in a costume holding a sign for some restaurant, but those jobs are limited. Then what happens when they get their GFs pregnant?? Earth condoms aren't going to work for them. They'll be down there in line at the welfare office lying about having had a job interview last week, but actually they sitting on the porch drinking kool-aid. I'm telling you, we need to be careful with these aliens. And they are so crafty too!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

That's why if I ever meet an alien, I'm just going to give him the piece sign. I mean, that's sooo universal. EVERYONE knows what it means.

Yes, it means 'take me home and eat me for supper. Yum.' LOL.

WRT aliens coming to America to live off welfare, well... Somehow I don't think they'd fly 50 billion miles for food stamps! Heck, they could trade their technology for half the US Gov't budget - they'd be richer than Bill Gates!

Don't worry - when they have all their money, they won't clutter up your neighborhood - the gov't will put them in a gated community. LOL.

so what? we kick them out and hang a big do not disturb sign on the earth?
i think we would be obligated to let them in, but then again it all depends, if they were really advanced with big weapons of terrible power i would definately let them sleep here any night.

I'd like to see humans try to keep out an alien that has that kind of technology. Who knows - perhaps they're among us now, but they're using their invisibility tool. (I wondered where my groceries keep disappearing to!) LOL.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
also, obviously the aliens dont need our money, and i doubt they need our food unless of course thats why they came here, but on the subject of them being different from humans, who says they even eat the same things? they could eat black holes for all we know.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by backtoreality

Heck no! The aliens better pick up the Wanted Ads on their way through the atmosphere. But it might be difficult for them to find a job. I mean, sure, they could stand in the window for a comic book store or be one of those guys who stand by the street in a costume holding a sign for some restaurant, but those jobs are limited. Then what happens when they get their GFs pregnant?? Earth condoms aren't going to work for them. They'll be down there in line at the welfare office lying about having had a job interview last week, but actually they sitting on the porch drinking kool-aid. I'm telling you, we need to be careful with these aliens. And they are so crafty too!

Oh...my, LMAO you got me rolling...
Seriously it's one thing to say alright you can visit us but come on we can't live next door to an Alien, besides wouldn't that make them illegal Aliens if they snuck into our neighborhoods and chose to live amongst humans?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Seriously it's one thing to say alright you can visit us but come on we can't live next door to an Alien, besides wouldn't that make them illegal Aliens if they snuck into our neighborhoods and chose to live amongst humans?

Actually, it would make them illegal alien aliens. Just immagine how confusing that is going to be. And you know that they are going to come in here illegally--they'll pack those UFOs full of aliens, land, and they will scatter like roaches. Have you ever seen roaches when you turn on the lights?? Ewww!! They'll come into your neighborhood, 15 of them will buy a 2 bedroom house and the real estate will plummet. They won't be able to speak your language, but get mad if you can't speak theirs. And their cooking stinks too. 15 people, but 25 broken UFOs littering the driveway. *sigh* I'm not racist, but enough is enough. Their only true hope is to find good employment, but we have been over this. Hey, have you ever seen miget wrestling? I think alien wrestling could really catch on. All I know is the first time I see them trying to tow home a broken UFO, I'm going over there and raising a rudkus.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Does anyone else see an Oprah or Dr. Phil show coming from this?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by cargo
Does anyone else see an Oprah or Dr. Phil show coming from this?

Yes I do

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Sometimes I don't think so, there still alot of people who really need to clean alot of baggage, issue and emotional wise. We'd end up hating them for no reason. Or we would let our beliefs or emotions get the best of us. In particular one does not need a weapon, because we are the weapons, and deadly at that. But in all honesty there's been so many shooting and stabbing deaths, they'll have to get there shoes up our butts. The cavilians and our friends running the government, the world, and corporate. There's alot to clean up. There's already been almost 200 shooting/stabbing/ etc near my area. There's something definately wrong.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think that over time we would be able to except aliens, even if they were extremely strange,
just imagine, 1,500 years ago, people would have found it unfathomable how we could live with asians, or blacks in unity.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join