It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The House just cut off half our payments to the UN ...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Will the UN retaliate?

See the story here:

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Do you think this is payback for the UN's opposition to the war in Iraq? Do you think the UN should go and this is just the first step to total annihilation of the UN? Do you think the UN is worth one red cent of American taxpayer money?

(I personally wouldn't mind seeing that useless monster ejected from the US to take up its subversive activities elsewhere ....)

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Sounds like a good idea to me.
If the US drops out completely it would be even better still.

I'd like to see the US isolate itself and have the rest of the world move on ahead without it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
We actually did that prior to WWII. We were so disgusted with Europe after WWI that we were VERY reluctant to join the war in WWII, although we were happy to ship war goods (some of which got sunk by Nazi subs).

Considering the League of Nations was started by us and went the way of the west, and now the United Nations that was started by us is so ineffective ... Well, it makes one wonder what's the point of it all.

League of Nations didn't stop WWII. UN didn't stop War on Terror (and in fact made it worse, imo). I guess they're good at humane relief, but they've been failing at that too, lately ....

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
LOL... but they can steal the heck out of some oil...

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I didn't say they weren't good at SOMETHING! LOL. What is it that makes an international body so ineffective, do you think? The US can get things done - why can't the UN? What's their problem?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Yes the US can get things done but only by 1 means WAR

I never really understood why you guys are letting your sons and daugters get slaugtered in a far away land for basically a pact of lies !

The UN's problem is they don't see things like the US admin and just go Gun ho !!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
The U.S. can get things done.............
Yeah they can blow the hell out of little black people.
The U.N. are ineffective global organisation........
Well they are not as effective as they could be, but insted of dropping out of it and giving less money to them etc... this is just making it even harder for the U.N. to do anything. Sorry that the U.N. are not war mongers like the U.S.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Too many cooks spoil the soup thats why the U.N. does not work.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
If the US doesn't get things done, then why are we handing over $500 some Million dollars to Africa to combat AIDS? If we don't get things done, why are Bush and Blair sitting around chatting about debt forgiveness? If we never get anything done, why does almost every test for bird flu get shipped to the CDC - the premier public health organization in the world? If we never get anything done, then why are you in all likelihood typing your posts on an American computer filled with American technology (although granted, now built in Asia since the work has been outsourced overseas)? If we don't get anything done, then why does the world watch American movies and American television? Why does the world buy American cars and American goods?

If all we ever do is start wars, then why did we intervene AT EUROPE'S REQUEST in Kosovo?

I think some here are a bit anti-american.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I would love for the US to turn its back on the world and for the world to turn tis back on the US in turn... We (the world) dont like you (the US), and you dont like us... no more trade, no more military help, nothing... Fine by me... Oh but if only we could find a way to ensure all the pollution and environmental damage you do to the world is isolated to your country.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
After reading posts like yours I would agree. Perhaps in time we can convince our governments to do it. Perhaps bird flu will make it happen. IMO, the US would be better off if they told you to piss off. I know I feel better when I say it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
If this news finally will shut up conservatives who continue to whine that many UN members didn't go along with the illegal Iraq invasion, I'm all for it.

I've never before witnessed people complaining that other people didn't join in on a killing spree like I have in the last three years.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Oddly enough, I think I agree with you. One thing the whole Iraq thing did for me, though, is reveal the wide divisions among the nations of the world. That's not something I ever saw prior to the Iraq debate. I never realized how despised we were around the world - sometimes justified, sometimes not. But definately never appreciated!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Wow, that became a "my country's cooler than your country" thread pretty darn quickly didn't it.

Geez.

It's rather sad actually. Only a small minded person believes that the world is better off divided rather than working together. But hey, if it makes anyone happy to babble about which country is better or nicer and what have you... to each their own.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Some days it rolls off my back, and some days I start a nuclear war. My apologies. I'll just go bang my head against the wall now.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Your replies were not what I was talking about.

I'm sure you know what I mean.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
seeing as the UN was described to me by a former employee as nothing but a useless paper factory (yes that is a direct quote) and we pay far more than our fair share. I have to give the house the first big
in a very long time.
Along with this though I must say I don't approve of my country's current policies or the various wars we have going. Nor do i think that some sort of international organization is not needed to avoid senseless wars. But lets face it the UN has been astoundingly ineffectual compared to private organizations at actually getting aid money to the people or stopping wars. All of this leads me to believe that while we need an international organization like the UN, we do NOT and should not keep the UN as it is currently.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
Oddly enough, I think I agree with you. One thing the whole Iraq thing did for me, though, is reveal the wide divisions among the nations of the world. That's not something I ever saw prior to the Iraq debate. I never realized how despised we were around the world - sometimes justified, sometimes not. But definately never appreciated!

That is simply untrue. If you noticed spots of anger brewing during the debate on Iraq maybe it was because there was no debate. Maybe the anger was because some people knew they were lying and were very angry when some people, who should know better, fell for complete BS that was so obvious any street kid past the age of 5 could spot it. Maybe if you sensed some people dispised America, it was because they were about to go and kill INNOCENT people - how exactly would you think people should act about that?

This crazy American BS that somehow there are two factions in this world AMerica and everyone else is nonses, stupid and a big reason why some are hesitent to get to know the individuals. It is a childish mind that beleives such tripe.. The divisions are in your mind.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   

This crazy American BS that somehow there are two factions in this world AMerica and everyone else is nonses, stupid and a big reason why some are hesitent to get to know the individuals. It is a childish mind that beleives such tripe.. The divisions are in your mind.

I think you just proved my point.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The U.S. should get out of the UN and kick the UN out of the U.S., it's a dinosaur operation which only perpetuates world suffering.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join