It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Precognition - how common is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Have you ever had that instant of knowledge before something actually happens?

For example, many years ago I was at a party where door prizes were given out. I never win anything, and there were oceans of people there. And yet I stood there for a about two minutes before the prize was given out knowing that I'd win it. Not thinking, KNOWING.

How many of you have had instants of knowledge like this? How common is it? I wish I could say it happens all the time with me, but it doesn't. It happens very seldom, and usually with things that aren't all that important. But it makes me curious about how common an experience it is.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Being intuitive happens to everybody at least once. Maybe it's just self confidence, or maybe a psychic burst. Who knows? However it does happen to everyone once in a while.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I had a skeptic describe it to me once as the mind evaluating clues subconsciously and making a determination - thus, the instant of knowledge. But that doesn't really make sense to me since not enough data is known to make that kind of determination with certainty.

It does make me wonder, however, if the psychic experiences of others might have some truth to them. If I can have my moment of psychic clarity, why can't John Edwards, for example? Don't know if he's a fake, but what he does is downright odd.

Yet, on the other hand, if psychic experience were an actual occurrence, wouldn't someone be able to come up with scientific proof that the phenomenon exists?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have one question.

You said you knew you were going to win. Did you win? Because it's kind of confusing.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How many of you have had instants of knowledge like this? How common is it? I wish I could say it happens all the time with me, but it doesn't. It happens very seldom, and usually with things that aren't all that important. But it makes me curious about how common an experience it is.

I think everyone has it, many just don't 'listen'. And others like to call it coincodence. I think the more aware you are of ALL of reality around you (meaning not just 3d), the more perceptive you are of these 'helpers'.

It's natural and instinktive, but man today has tried very hard to replace his instinkt with technology.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You said you knew you were going to win. Did you win? Because it's kind of confusing.

I'm sorry - I did a post to answer this question yesterday, but it seems I forgot to press a button.

Yes, I won the door prize, exactly as I KNEW I would. The whole thing was pretty odd.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Doesn't seem that uncommon.

People do that all the time. You probally predict in your brain what may happen and then if it happens you take notice to it.

I think it's just the brain processing events on what you think may happen, and somehow, randomly if you might notice your thinking about it, and then when it happens you take notice.

"I knew it."
Is a very common expression.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
My GF amazes me about once a week by knowing who's on the other end of the ringing phone. Once she commented on an 18 wheeler going in the opposite direction. "oh no! something's not right" on the return trip the truck had missed a curve, overturned, killed the occupants and scattered its contents all over the place. This is the most dramatic of her precog skills. Other subtle things amaze me too. She passes it off as just being sensitive.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ksnazdnzon,

I don't think I can concur with the idea that your brain predicts what may happen, and if the prediction is correct you take notice. I have only had two instances of an important precognition in my life and both occurred within a week of each other when I was eight years old. Neither of these two could have been predicted as they were both very strange things to happen, and my imagination just wasn't that good!

I do, however, agree that many instances of people believing they have had a precognition could be due to your explanation. I think our brains are capable of much more interpretation of our environmental variables than they have been given credit for.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
I think it's all coincedence. compare how many times have you thought(or 'known') in your mind that something was going to happen the way it did to how many times it didnt happen. I bet the times the things didnt happen were alot more. It just seems like wishful thinking of what you really want to happen and when it does, as mentioned before, your brain takes special notice to it and you're like 'wow, did i do that?'

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I used to have precognition a lot when I was younger. The visions were usually of things that would happen years later, but I would remember them when I got Deja Vu. The visions always came to me in my sleep, and I still get them occasionally, but not like I used to. If I learned one thing from precognition is that freewill is an illusion, all things have already been determined and thus there is no escaping your destiny(atleast probably not).

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:50 AM
link   
"It just seems like wishful thinking of what you really want to happen and when it does, as mentioned before, your brain takes special notice to it and you're like 'wow, did i do that?'"

The only problem I have with this theory is that more times than not, the precognition is not of something anyone would wish for. The death of a loved one for example. In my case both times probably saved my life.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I don't really post alot, but have been interested in this sybject for awhile
and would like to give a abstract point of view on it.

Sometimes I wonder if we all aren't programmed at birth with certain events in our life that are supposed to take place. And when we come to the point when they do, we remember.

Maybe some people remember the way the "story" goes better then others, and therefore, they have stronger precognitive skills.

Just a thought,

Blend56

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I know that in quantum physics, it's possible for a particle or a photon to travel back in time. They do a lot of really freaky stuff.

Could it be possible in precognition that somehow multiple particles in our brain go back in time and thus we know what will happen when it hasn't happened yet?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
"Precognition - how common is it?"

perhaps it is not precognition, but your consciousness when it is not bound by time that has already cognitionized everything and is venturing back here to help you help yourself (literally), and make some connections in order to make some corrections.

of course that is assuming even one has cognitive before one has cognitive.

can one have cognitive abilities before one has cognitive abilities?

if not this thread topic would not ever have been.

chicken or egg.

maybe the kitchen came first.
kcichhen

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I don't think it is wishful thinking...One Monday morning the phone rang at 6AM and I knew it and told my husband that was my Sister calling to say my Mother had died. She wasn't ill or anything and lived 1000 miles away-she was only 63 and had sudden heart death. I never usually voice what I am thinking but have started doing it lately. Also, sometimes in streaks when I was younger, I would know who was calling on the phone, even people we hadn't heard from in years...My mother could do that also. My mother was psychic about many things.--actually I have only recently concluded this because of summing up things she had said in the past and examining whatI was going through with the precognition stuff.

I was having a series of vivid dreams and started to tell my husband about them..(without saying what they were about) and he had the same dream....he had remembered probably 2 dreams total in his whole life..and says he doesn't dream..Course I told him he did!!!

I also think people have already died (that are alive) that end up dying within 2 months...This happens to me all the time and 1/2 the time I don't know if I am coming or going...

I am also overly empathic and it has created alot of stress/illness types of things in my life...it's hard to shut off..

[edit on 6/14/2005 by mercury19]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I think it's a very common occurance on a day to day level but usually of the mediocre variety, some people have it often and others once in a blue moon. Everynow and again something big is sensed and these are the ones that stay in your memory but more often than not they are random and not at all useful in any sense. For instance I just knew my boss would not be into work one day as something had happened to her, (turns out she broke her leg) but I never sensed anything the day I was knocked down by a car. The latter would have been a far more useful bit of knowledge to me but that seems to be how it works. This is why science has such trouble accepting such untestable, numinous areas, although ESP is one thing I believe exists.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I get that all the time.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Every death, on my MOms side of the family, I had a dream of it the night before....in detail. Right down to who told me the sad news, how they said it, where I was, when they said it, what they were wearing etc. EXACT. I have tried changing fate, by avoiding , the place in the dream, I was told the bad news at, ... etc... never failed, my dream, would become reality, no matter, how hard ,I tried to change fate, never even came close. So then, I took ,this exam on esp. MY score in precognitation: 99/100. I kid you not, I got 99 out of 100 right. (which is kinda weird, because I certainley didn't think I was gonna score THAT well, but I did....you would think, I would of known.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xavieria
Every death, on my MOms side of the family, I had a dream of it the night before....in detail. Right down to who told me the sad news, how they said it, where I was, when they said it, what they were wearing etc. EXACT. I have tried changing fate, by avoiding , the place in the dream, I was told the bad news at, ... etc... never failed, my dream, would become reality, no matter, how hard ,I tried to change fate, never even came close. So then, I took ,this exam on esp. MY score in precognitation: 99/100. I kid you not, I got 99 out of 100 right. (which is kinda weird, because I certainley didn't think I was gonna score THAT well, but I did....you would think, I would of known.

How could you possibly not avoid the situation? I find that extremely hard to believe. Were any of the deaths from accidents and if they were did you do anything to try and stop them?

It's just so implausible that you wouldn't be able to avoid these places. Say in your dream you got the news at walmart.. just don't go to walmart, what chain of events could possibly bring you to walmart against your will?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join