It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the US back Turkish EU membership to destroy the EU?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
After reading the article below I started thinking about a possible conspiracy theory. Perhaps the US has ulterior motives for backing Turkey.

US maintains support for Turkey's membership of EU

The United States supports Turkey's membership of the European Union despite the crisis caused by the rejection of the European constitution in two key countries, the White House said Wednesday.

Speaking ahead of talks between US President George W. Bush and Turkey's Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, White House spokesman Scott McClellan said "we have not changed our views" about Turkey's hopes to join the EU.

Bush expressed his support for Turkey's candidacy last year, drawing criticism from France's President Jacques Chirac who said the US leader should not get involved in European affairs.

One of the problems the Dutch and other nations had with the EU was the possible inclusion of Turkey and the fear of Turkish immigration into their countries. Is it possible that this was the reason behind US support of Turkish membership all along? Did they hope that Turkish entrance into the EU would create dissent in the EU? What does the US have to gain if Turkey gains membership?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   
no it had nothing to do with U.S. support for the Turkey's entry to the EU, just Europeans who refuse to allow Turkey in because of their racial discrimination. as long as they are discrimating Turkey, EU will not be destroy

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The US protecting it own interest? I don't see the problem.

The dollar is getting stronger because of this, so maybe knocking the EU down a notch is a good thing.

Plus if it is something that is bad for Jacques Chirac, that would be a good thing!

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The US backed Turkey's entrance into the EU because Turkey is the US's bridge to the Muslim world. If it succeeds as a democracy then it shows conclusively that democracy and Islam can coexist peacefully and could bridge the current cultural divide between the US and the Middle-East.

I would def say we did it for political reasons, but not the ones you are thinking. The EU never really, and never will represent much of a threat to the US, the UN and WTO both (in actuality) wield more power and influence over the US than the EU, especially since France and now the Dutch are seemingly doing it from the inside-out.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Yeah, I don't think there's a conspiracy here. The U.S. has been using its weight with Europe to help Turkey as a tit-for-tat for their help in the Islamic world.

Nothing to see here, carry on. (really
)

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The U.S. endorsement of any country into the EU doesn't matter because they don't get a say in any of it. I have to say that they didn't plan or get any of this to happen.

The dissatisfaction caused in places like Germany and Holland, stems from overcrowding cities and the disregard for their cultures by immigrants who refuse to become typically Dutch. Not to mention, after Van Gogh's grandson was brutally murdered by Islamic radicals the Dutch people felt justifiably restrained in opening their borders to a wave of these types of people.

Most of Europe is worried that the inclusion of Turkey will mean a wave of unemployment for their nationals as streams of cheaper labour will rush from Turkey to European cities. Also the E.U. system at the moment bases its power structure to some degree on population. Turkey would have the biggest population of the member states and therefore the most say in the EU, this would be unacceptable as they would also be the least contributing economically.

I am sure there are many more reasons that Euros are wary of allowing Turkish membership into the EU, but I can guarantee that the US backing of Turkey is not one of them. The US has long backed the Turkish people and government, they have allowed the US to use military bases there and more historically Turkey was to be Russia's 'cuba' in the cold war where the US could have short range nuclear weapons pointed at the major Russsian cities.

top topics

join