It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Discovary of self

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
recently I've been exploring my mind and spirituality and I've found out many things about myself. Now what seems to be happening is that the more I discover about myself, I seem to get faster, stronger etc.

I seem to develop abilities or rather skills aswell as I discover more about myself, but that is understandable. Although could somebody please explain how discovering more about yourself, could result in physical changes in one's atributes?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Physical attributes (according to some sources) are somewhat governed by mental attitude and focus. I think of it this way, if you don't know yourself you can't possibly know what you are capable of. Take physical attributes for example. I've taken martial arts (Hapkido) for a number of years. I watched people get faster, stronger and break more boards as a result of greater mental awarness. I'm not sure about getting bigger due to self-exploration, although if it results in more self-confidence that would probably show on the outside through posture and the like.
I read a book on strength training by Pavel Tsatsouline and in that he related physical strength to be more of a neurological thing than a muscle-mass thing. Even in martial arts they stress unlocking hidden physical potential by tapping into the deep recesses of the mind. Interesting stuff! Keep at it.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
** My theory**

Well, humans use a very small portion of their brains. As you become self-aware and open up to the person that you are and your surroundings, you are "excersising" your brain. Whenever you excersise any muscle, it grows and expandes. Makes sense the same would happen to the brain. You stretch it and areas that are never used start to get used. This allows for enhanced abilities. After all, we dont really know what the rest of the brain is capable of.

Anyhow, that is how I see it.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ariande pretty much has it right, as you gain confidence in your expanded abilities you tend to go further.

The only real limits on human abilities are our own preconceptions, what we are taught. We all know that with time and practice a person can get better at anything but since we are somewhat single-minded we tend to believe that a person can only be great at a small number of things. Since we can only train/practice so much this makes some sense, but the potential is still there in everyone.

I know that when need arises I can move faster than most people can see, and I have done so more than once. I just trust that I can and the normal limits fall away.

But do realize this, as your abilities grow so does your responsibility. I know that is a little on the corny side, but it is true nonetheless. If you yourself decide deep down that you are not acting properly, the advanced abilities will just fail. Keep that in mind, there is no cheating here, no way to dodge or rationalize, your higher self will decide moment to moment and it is up to you to remain focused.

A.T
(-)

Oh, and hi Honey, glad you made it!

[edit on 6/9/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
With me, I began my path while in 7th or 8th grade, regarding questioning. By time I was in high school, I began to seach or study different religions or beliefs trying to find the one that best suited my views...

It was about this time that abilities (or talents) began to manifest; much like you, the more I delved into my inner being, more talents emerged, and the stronger they became.

But why you ask?

I see it like a mouse maze. With every corner we turn or with every door we open, more is naturally revealed. Our minds expand with the new knowledge. Since humans only use about 10% of their brains (and seeing how some act, that might even be too much), it is safe to assume that when we find a talent or two, more brain power is opened to us... the more we delve into that region, more will come. Almost like a domino effect.

For example... say you have the talent of seeing energy patterns; this is not the same as seeing auras. You can see each person's individual energy signature...

How long before you learn that you can track somebody? How long before you can learn to alter your pattern to match theirs to remain "hidden"? Or to absorb their energy to give yourself strength while they grow weak? Or, on the flip side, to give them strength?

Seeing energy patterns, you can also create threads of your energy, so that the farther they reach, they begin to change into the other person's energy... great to penetrate shields.

There is so much that can be done by the simple and basic first step: seeing energy patterns. This would be a good example of knowledge gaining.

Now, as far as physical changes...

What kind of changes? With me, the more I learned of my inner being, my spiritual self (or as I like to say, my other), the more I became like him. We are both the same person, granted, but...

I knew of my other much earlier then my spiritual (or arcane) search. I would draw him, write stories about him... now, however, I am beginning to take on his physical apperances and attributes. The only difference between "us" is our hair... I keep mine short; if I didn't, I'd look like a cotton bair or a blonde afro.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
Since humans only use about 10% of their brains (and seeing how some act, that might even be too much), it is safe to assume that when we find a talent or two, more brain power is opened to us... the more we delve into that region, more will come. Almost like a domino effect.

Wrong.

humans use 100% of their brains, 100% of the time. google it, and deny ignorance.

[edit on 6-9-2005 by forsakenwayfarer]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I am just curious, How do you actually find yourself? I have been trying to do so for a number of years that i can no longer keep up with, I have delved into religion, and tried to find my way through spirituallity and all that. That was not very sucessful. It seems i never can find the time for meditation or the serenity, for i live in chicago, near a buisy street. None the less, I am just asking so i can possibly gain some information from you guys so i can better find my true self in a way my own soul works.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Sorry I have to disagree with you forsakenwayfarer but I think you are confusing activity which we can record with that which we understand.

All of the Brain is active of course, but most is doing things that we have no explaination for. Or rather, that science has no explaination for, I have a few.

We only understand a fraction of what goes on in our heads at the moment and are making progress slowly.

Forsaken Druid,

I think you stated the root of your problem quite well "It seems i never can find the time for meditation or the serenity". What that says to me is that you really do not want to discover more about yourself and find excuses to keep from doing so.

What it takes is seriousness of intent, keeping that spirit alive when other things get in the way. I have found that there is ALWAYS something to get in the way, mostly because if you are not serious about the search then you are not ready to handle any answers. So you protect yourself by distraction.

What you know, like everyone else, is that the answers you seek will change your life. They cannot be unlearned and usually call for even greater effort on your part than the search entailed. Once your eyes are really open they can never close again.

Are you really sure you wish to find out?

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Have to say, I am with Alexander on this:
Active and Use are two different things. Turn every electrical appliance and light in your house off and that doesn't mean there is no electricity, it just means it isn't being actively used. Turn on a single light and that doesn't mean that you are now using 100% of the electricity in your house. You are only using a fraction of it.
Additionally, with each light you turn on, you can see more of the house. With each appliance you turn on, you can do more with the house. But it takes some time to do each step. And if you have never play with a particular appliance (your new bread machine for example) it takes extra time to learn it, you may have a few failed attempts (my new bread machine, made a few bricks before I got the hang of it). If you don't take the time to learn it, you never use it fully. My Mother has had a DVD player for a year now, and when she was out visiting I jumped to a scene. She asked "How did you do that?" so I had to show her the scene selection screens. She hasn't taken time to learn how to use it and if she hasn't gotten that basic thing, obviously she isn't getting some of the fancier stuff like the Easter Eggs on some discs.

Same thing goes for mind and body. You have to take the time to learn the abilities in order to use them fully. Some things take more time than others to learn. Some things come easy, some stuff takes months or years to learn.

If at first you have to schedual time, then so be it. Treat it like a job, this time slot is occupied, cant go to the bar, or fishing or whatever else. Eventually, the time finds you rather than you finding the time. Keep in mind, even the greatest.. Mother Theresa and Dali Lama for example, all say the most important thing that you can do is make time for yourself. Set aside a portion of every day that is just for you with no one else but you.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Thank you for all the input here.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Well I did stop believing in a lot of what we were taught about limits and how certain things arn't possible a while ago. Although the funny thing about it is the few people who notice the changes now think think that it is abnormal, although it is normal as far as I'm concerned.

What kind of changes? With me, the more I learned of my inner being, my spiritual self (or as I like to say, my other), the more I became like him. We are both the same person, granted, but...

I knew of my other much earlier then my spiritual (or arcane) search. I would draw him, write stories about him... now, however, I am beginning to take on his physical apperances and attributes. The only difference between "us" is our hair... I keep mine short; if I didn't, I'd look like a cotton bair or a blonde afro.

Well it's more or less the same with me, there's only two differences between me and him though, that's the hair style and the eyes.

I would like to ask one more question though. A lot of people now ask for my advice and call me wise, but I don't see myself as wise. Is it something they notice subconciously or sense?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I would like to ask one more question though. A lot of people now ask for my advice and call me wise, but I don't see myself as wise. Is it something they notice subconciously or sense?

I believe a wise man once said that wisdom consists in knowing that you know nothing (or something to that effect, may have been Socrates?). In other words, a wise man would not call himself wise because he knows there are far greater things in the world that he (or she, of course!) knows nothing about.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Well said FreeThinking.

Killer 5,

Anyone with any sort of inner balance causes other people to react. It is still so rare that when someone like that is around people notice.

Most people are so conflicted, so in pain, so lost, that they will cling to anyone who offers even the least bit of hope.

When asked for advice the most important thing you can do is keep yourself out of it. By that I mean what you say has to be right for the person you are talking to, and has nothing to do with you. You should not do it so they will rely on you, or so they will tell their friends how wise you are, or anything like that at all.

Those things will happen anyway if you do what you are supposed to so. It is ok to enjoy the attention, or have pride in what you have done to help someone, but it is not ok to let those things influence what you say.

Listen, use everything you know about them, ask questions (this is a big part of the Art here, ask things to understand who they are not just about what they tell you the problem is. Do not be surprised if you ask things that they think have nothing to do with the problem at hand. You need to ask enough to allow your Intuition to figure out the problem).

Then you just let the answers come out, do not overly think about what you say, just say it. Later, review everything you said and consider the implications. Many times I find that with a little time to ponder some new elements will come to my attention. Usually having to do with deeper issues that the person is struggling with. Then when they return, and they will believe me, you will be ready to talk in more detail.

9 times out of 10 the real problem is not what they ask about. You have to dig deeper and usually solve more than one to really help. This is part of how problems 'protect' themselves, they hide under some side-effect. You can help them to fix what they think is wrong, but if you only do that then tomorrow they will have a new problem.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
How does somebody discover things about themselves, prayer?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Listen, use everything you know about them, ask questions (this is a big part of the Art here, ask things to understand who they are not just about what they tell you the problem is. Do not be surprised if you ask things that they think have nothing to do with the problem at hand. You need to ask enough to allow your Intuition to figure out the problem).

Then you just let the answers come out, do not overly think about what you say, just say it. Later, review everything you said and consider the implications. Many times I find that with a little time to ponder some new elements will come to my attention. Usually having to do with deeper issues that the person is struggling with. Then when they return, and they will believe me, you will be ready to talk in more detail.

9 times out of 10 the real problem is not what they ask about. You have to dig deeper and usually solve more than one to really help. This is part of how problems 'protect' themselves, they hide under some side-effect. You can help them to fix what they think is wrong, but if you only do that then tomorrow they will have a new problem.

AT, what I've found is nine out of ten times they know what to do but what confirmation of it. I usually just ask them what they wanted to do and what they think is best and well they take it as advice. Although it was their idea.

Everybody finds themselves a different way when they are ready to look.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Killer 5

AT, what I've found is nine out of ten times they know what to do but what confirmation of it. I usually just ask them what they wanted to do and what they think is best and well they take it as advice. Although it was their idea.

I think though that the problem is, the surface problem isn't actually the one that is the problem. People don't want to tell you about things that make them look bad.

They tell you their boyfriend is insanely jealous, but don't tell you that they are going out every night until 1-2 am and coming home drunk driven by a different guy every night.
Or they tell you how uptight their wife is because they forgot to take their shoes off when they came in the house, and "forget" to mention that they had been digging up the backed up septic tank and went across the fresh shampooed white rug. (My dad did that to my mom once). The fact is, most people temper their story to suit their needs.

They don't want to do the right thing, they want justification for what they want to do. The woman wants someone to say "he is a jerk, dump him" not to say "why don't you try staying at home." or the guy wants someone to say "what a pain, how do you live with it?" instead of "you better buy her flowers and say sorry fast"

Be brutally honest with yourself. Look at the worst traits you have and figure out why you are like that. Don't hide yourself from the truth because it is ugly. When you know why, you can decide not to be that way. Are you a loudmouth (just and example, not a statement) because you have to be the center of attention? Then TELL yourself not to demand attention. And tell yourself every day, twice a day. First thing in the morning and last thing at night. After a while you will stop being that way because you will convince yourself you aren't. But only do one thing at a time, too many can be depressing.

//ed BB code for quote//

[edit on 10-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   

For most people I suggest they take a look at the religions and teachings that exist across the world. Most religions (outside of Christanity, sorry) contain wisdom that has been accumulated over the ages. Keep looking until you find something that speaks to you and then dig in.

You do not have to join anything, or become a member of anything to learn. Nothing wrong with joining a group AFTER you have really looked into it and are certain the total experience is right for you.

I have been a member of at least a half-dozen groups over the years, but in the end I realized that what I believe is both too complex, and too personal, to mix smoothly with any other system. I still have a fondness for Wicca (embodied in the person of my wife, Ariande) but truthfully I am different even from them.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Thanks for the suggestions pplz, I'll keep all of them in mind.

top topics

join