It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens, and colds...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This question is somewhat based off the ending of "war of the worlds"... the premise is just reversed.

The question...

Assuming that aliens exist, and are in regular contact with Humans...

1) Do you feel that aliens would be able to cause a world wide epidemic due to bacteria, and other pathogens that they bring with them from their home environment?

2) If yes, do you feel it has allready happened in the past?

3) Do you feel the human immune system has the ability to fight off new diseases caused from human / E.T. interaction?

----------------------------------------

I personally feel that the situation in question is entirely possible. Just look at the diseases that the pilgrims brought with them, when they landed on the "new world"... the indians immune systems were not used to fighting off new illnesses such as chicken pox. For example the 1619 Chicken Pox epidemic wiped out 90% of New Englands coastal indian population.... diseases that aliens bring could possibly wipe out small countries.

Allthough I do feel it is possible for aliens to spread disease, I do not believe it's happened in the past. Perhaps because I'm not to sure about the existance of aliens, or atleast... interstellar travelling aliens.

I honestly wouldn't know if the human immune system could develop immunities before it's to late though. I imagine after a long series of brief exposures you could possibly develop resistance to sickness... but even so.. it's hard to imagine just how strong alien pathogens may be.

This topic is now making me wonder if there are any reported cases of illnesses after reported abductions? I also wonder if aliens keep their probes sterile?

Anyhow... enjoy the topic, and feel free to include any, and all the info/comments you'ld like.

[edit on 6/8/05 by microcosm]

[edit on 6/8/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well if it is true about what they say about greys then that is why they are afraid to land. Think about all the diseases we have that even if they cured them they could of mutated into different strands that they have never seen before. Thus why i think the greys are actually wearing enviromental suits. Actually if you think about it you get weaker if you don't get exposed to virii. your not building up a resistance to it anymore so when a mutation happens then your caught off guard.

-Aza

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Azathoth]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   
everyone knows that the greys threatened humankind and gave us small pox and didn't give us the antidote until we gave them what they wanted. but yes that makes sense that they actually wear some sort of protective suit im sure if and when we get to travel to a new world with life on it, even if we can breath and dont need the space suits we will be very cautious to cover our faces

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Even if we could breathe, we would still probly wear suits too. You can still pick up plenty of "nasty stuff" through your skin.

So you're answers to questions both 1, and 2 is "yes". Aliens can give us diseases, and they have in the past.

-----------------

I'm totally interested in why you feel we we're purposely given small pox by aliens?

Do you feel that the "comeback" of viruses long thought gone are because of new demands the greys are making?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
everyone knows that the greys threatened humankind and gave us small pox and didn't give us the antidote until we gave them what they wanted.

Oh yeah, common knowledge indeed. I think it was BIO2034 in college. But yeah, everyone knows that!!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   

everyone knows that the greys threatened humankind and gave us small pox and didn't give us the antidote until we gave them what they wanted.

Do you have any evidence, links, or data to help support this statement. Unless I'm out of the "loop", I'm afraid this isn't as common knowledge as you make it out to be.

I'm not saying that aliens couldn't bring certain sicknesses with them, but I'm just saying that we have no reason to believe that they have as of yet.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by mpeake]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Just to add food for thought , imagine if you would a virus from space gets introduced to a planet inhabitated by primates. The virus only affects certain primates that carry a special genetic trait ( kinda like cicle cell anemia ) other primates remain uneffected. The virus attacks unborn fetuses during developement causing straigtening of the spine and ecsessive brain tissue growth as well as cranial enlargement. Additional genetic level mutations happen during this time of development as well. Now two colonies of the original species begin to exist, those affected with the virus and those who are not. The species affected with the virus spawns off spring with straight spines, larger cranial cavities, and larger brain tissue mass. The new offspring
remain carriers off the virus but it goes into a more so dormant stage , kinda like being hiv positive but still not having full blown aids.

As with most species mutations are generally killed or shunned by the rest of the group but given the mass of mutated offspring survival becomes possible. The two groups split as the mothers of the mutated offspring leave the colonies in order to protect thier young. The young offspring eventual begin to thrive and mate between themselves , a new generation is born from the mutations, with each generation born the mutations continue on a genetic level during fetal development additionally the body creates new antibodies in an attempt to overcome this virus. As the generations go by the geneticly mutated offspring continue and mate creating more infected offspring with stronger antibodies. The stronger antibodies eventually overcome the virus at earlier and earlier stages of devlopment until it is eventualy wiped out given it has no possible hosts or perhaps it just goes dormant. At this point in time there now exists two types of the same species those with the mutation and those without, The mutated side of the species now has 46 chomosomes and the non mutated side has 48 thus making interbreeding no longer possible. Both sides of the species continue to flourish in their respective ways those with a larger cranial cavity and larger brain tissue mass begin using tools those unneffected by the virus do not.............

you never know it could be possible

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Microcosm, that's pretty interesting. Could explain why abduction stories usually involve sterile rooms, medical procedures, etc. Could be they're trying to protect us from their viruses.

Minniescar, that's pretty interesting too. Viruses can cause genetic mutations, we even use them now in gene therapy and genetic mutation isn't always negative. Isn't that the basis of evolution theory? A genetic mutation that has survival advantages?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Considering we know little about thier internal biological composition I say its not completely out of the question. A first step would be to document the EBE's reaction to certain medicines/foods etc and to understand the complex relation between thier construction and ours, from there I assume we could identify things that would effect both our species.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This was the theme to Michael Crichton's novel 'The Andromeda Strain'. Except it came on a meteorite, not by aliens.

Same result though. It wiped out a small town, then the good guys figured out how to kill it.

The story line involves a secret underground government lab. It should fit right in with this web site.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

1) Do you feel that aliens would be able to cause a world wide epidemic due to bacteria, and other pathogens that they bring with them from their home environment?

Certainly, it's the entire reason for that NASA law against ET contact...still on the books btw....

2) If yes, do you feel it has allready happened in the past?

Well, we're still here, so that's a good sign. I know of no solid evidence of such a contamination...

3) Do you feel the human immune system has the ability to fight off new diseases caused from human / E.T. interaction?

Impossible to know. A foreign pathogen may even be completely unique, i.e. not a bacterium or virus, but something else, and we may simply be unable to cope with it. We don't have enough info to say one way or the other, would be sheer speculation.

'The Andromeda Strain'

Excellent old movie too....and a good comparison...

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar
Just to add food for thought , imagine if you would a virus from space gets introduced to a planet inhabitated by primates. The virus only affects certain primates that carry a special genetic trait ( kinda like cicle cell anemia ) other primates remain uneffected. The virus attacks unborn fetuses during developement causing straigtening of the spine and ecsessive brain tissue growth as well as cranial enlargement. Additional genetic level mutations happen during this time of development as well. Now two colonies of the original species begin to exist, those affected with the virus and those who are not. The species affected with the virus spawns off spring with straight spines, larger cranial cavities, and larger brain tissue mass. The new offspring
remain carriers off the virus but it goes into a more so dormant stage , kinda like being hiv positive but still not having full blown aids.

As with most species mutations are generally killed or shunned by the rest of the group but given the mass of mutated offspring survival becomes possible. The two groups split as the mothers of the mutated offspring leave the colonies in order to protect thier young. The young offspring eventual begin to thrive and mate between themselves , a new generation is born from the mutations, with each generation born the mutations continue on a genetic level during fetal development additionally the body creates new antibodies in an attempt to overcome this virus. As the generations go by the geneticly mutated offspring continue and mate creating more infected offspring with stronger antibodies. The stronger antibodies eventually overcome the virus at earlier and earlier stages of devlopment until it is eventualy wiped out given it has no possible hosts or perhaps it just goes dormant. At this point in time there now exists two types of the same species those with the mutation and those without, The mutated side of the species now has 46 chomosomes and the non mutated side has 48 thus making interbreeding no longer possible. Both sides of the species continue to flourish in their respective ways those with a larger cranial cavity and larger brain tissue mass begin using tools those unneffected by the virus do not.............

evolution is a disease... brilliant

thats the best theory i've heard all day.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by minniescar

evolution is a disease... brilliant

thats the best theory i've heard all day.

Way to go ! Think out of the box!

That reminds me of symbiosis too, how some life on earth becomes so dependent on another form of life ,they evolve into one new form of life . i.e. Chlorophyl and plants used to be two separate living things , and now we think of Chlorophyl as a complex structure of plants , in reality it is a symbient relationship in which neither of them , the plant or the Chlorophyl can survive independent of each other.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Microcosm, that's pretty interesting. Could explain why abduction stories usually involve sterile rooms, medical procedures, etc. Could be they're trying to protect us from their viruses.

I'd imagine the same too [It could possibly be kept sterile to protect us.]. Once again though, I'd be interested in any reoccuring claims of sicknesses after abduction. Not only that but I'd wonder if Aliens wear masks, or suits during abduction cases. From what I understand, most people see the aliens face (the big almond eyes, grey skin, slit for a mouth, and small indents/holes for a nostril/ear cavity). This would sorta indicate that they don't.

Gazrok, as far as speculation in question 3 goes; feel free to speculate all you'ld like. I'm interested in hearing everyones ideas, and theories.

I personally feel that the human immune system is flexible, and adaptive enough to overcome anything... but it all depends on rate of exposure, and time overall. Being exposed to the illness briefly over a long period of time, would work out much better than a full scale epidemic in a matter of a day.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well there's the theory that the Greys are biological robots...maybe they wouldn't have anything to worry about and vice versa. Also, it could be possible that extraterrestrial viruses and bacteria have no compatibility with our biology (I don't really believe this). I think it's likely that these aliens have been here long enough to deal with possible spread of disease to and from humanity.

On the other hand...remember that during the Varginia, Brazil case a man supposedly died from an unknown illness after coming into physical contact with one of the captured aliens....

P.S.-Wasn't the evolution as a disease thing in a Greg Bear novel? Darwin's Radio and Darwin's Children. I don't think it was exactly the same, but similar.

[edit on 6/9/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I remember reading a long time ago that Grey biology is actually very close to plants. Now with that in mind... I'd think that the genetic gap between plants, and humans is so far apart, that maybe they'd pose no risk at all...

I'm trying to find a link to that article, being that it was an old HTML article here on this site.

[Edit]http://aliens.monstrous.com/greys.htm

It's an offsite link, that I found pretty informative about alien races. Scroll down to the biology area. It speaks of how they use photosynthesis, and chlorophyll. Anyhow, I'm gonna try to keep this topic on track with the illness/bacteria question. This thread is sorta taking me all over the place now.

[edit on 6/9/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Cross check the vegan abduction with encouters with greys. If they are evolved plants then they would definately abduct more vegans.

-Aza

new topics

top topics

join