It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Replica Guns To Be Banned?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
One of my above articles on this thread or the other shows Britain having a higher prison population(per-100,00) then China, we're one of the worst Nations in the world for Crime and it is being kept from us. I adore this country, I love living here but the whole change in the society over the last ten years is a major problem which needs to be fixed and "banning" things left and right won't fix it nor even help it in the long term.

This ban will result in a majority of people who enjoy air guns as a joke, to mess around with in their back gardens (shooting beer cans, etc) to not be able to do those things anymore and move to only criminals having guns and real guns at that. After all, what will they import? Fakes or the real thing if they have the choice?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
One of my above articles on this thread or the other shows Britain having a higher prison population(per-100,00) then China, we're one of the worst Nations in the world for Crime and it is being kept from us.

It is slightly higher than China but it's barely in the top 100 world wide.

China has 118 prisoners per 100,000 population (number 111 on the list)
UK has 143 prisoners per 100,000 population (number 92 on the list)
Russia has 550 prisoners per 100,000 population (number 2 on the list)
US has 714 prisoners per 100,000 population (number 1 on the list)

Prison Brief - Highest to Lowest Rates

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Sorry that I put world, I was meant to put "Western Europe". Here's the article, I found it for you.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Also like the post that got you a warning; you'll be one of us soon enough.
Then we can go shoot folk.
j/k

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Sorry that I put world, I was meant to put "Western Europe". Here's the article, I found it for you.

www.guardian.co.uk...

I'll never understand this bit here:
The average cost of keeping a prisoner inside has now reached £36,000 a year.

How could it possibly cost that much?
You can put someone up in a nice apartment for that much money so how does a 10 foot cell cost that much?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Guards, they work on 8 hour shifts, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and are under staffed so of course they get paid over time. Double money and it's good money.

Mix that with the cost of building a prison, food, the way in which prisoners are kept, which is stupidly good. Then you have prison inspectors, list goes on. The prison not far from me, every cell has an X-Box and T.V. :| And most of them are pedophiles. Friends dad works there. It's sickening.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Originally posted by AgentSmith
Very few people have ever met someone that has been threatened with a gun.

There are very few places in the UK that are "rough" enough that gun crime is a regular occurence, it is so rare. In fact I can't think of one town or city that it happens even once per day on average.

Then you really need to get out more and not just stick around in the nice bits of town. Like someone else said, areas of London, Birmingham, etc.
Only a small percentage of occurances are even reported for gods sake, if you got off the computer for 5 minutes and went out and talked to a variety of people, especially the sort of people you would not normally talk too then you would know the truth.

I must say, I find your idea that there are no real rough areas in Britain hilarious, I'd love to take you too a few places and see the look on your face.
Even Bristol is notiously bad in areas, why don't you go visit St Pauls and drop in the black and white cafe, especially at night.. Don't 'look it up' GO THERE!. Why not hang around the back of club Loco and see what you make of that... and I've heard of numerous incidents that never make it to the police station let alone any statistics. I assure you, you will very quickly change your mind.

One of the main reasons this country is in so much trouble is because the majority of people in positiuons of power have spent years away from real life in colleges/universities, staying in relatively nice areas and have no idea whatsoever of what the real world is like. All they have to go on is a load of inaccurate statistics.

I've personally been held at knife point and gun point in the past and I'm not even from a particularly rough area.
I still don't think they need to be banned and I didn't then, it's a childish and narrowminded way to approach the situation with no hope of improvement and all the chance of escalating the situation.
Huh, I've even been held a knife point with a 3" kitchen knife, and let me tell you, you are still just as scared as when it's a 'long pointy one', but that's a different subject.

Open you eyes, ears and minds... I keep saying it, stop hiding behind stats and get out there and experience life, talk to a variety of people, stop and talk to homeless people, go to rough areas and see what it's like, if you dare!
I've only been to areas that don't really register on 'rough' and they were bad enough.

You can hide behind your figures all day long, but all the analysis in the world won't make the problem go away or change I'm afraid.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by AgentSmith]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
more police, less guns, less knives, owning a knife at 18 instead of 16, banning fake guns will not make less crime. educating more people is the way. lets face it rich people dont rob convenience stores, mug people etc etc...it's the lower class of people, hence those are the ones who need help. im not stereotyping everyone who isn't well off, but in general you won't find a lawyer robbing some girl in the street with a knife or gun.

it's about educating people enough when they are young so when they are older they have no need to steal, murder etc. no matter how much you try and avoid it, it is certain classes of people who are more likely to break the law using a knife or gun. it's not a coincidence that many attacks, muggins, robberys take place in inner cities where youths have nothing better to do than to f**k up other people's lives.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by shaunybaby
it's about educating people enough when they are young so when they are older they have no need to steal, murder etc. no matter how much you try and avoid it, it is certain classes of people who are more likely to break the law using a knife or gun. it's not a coincidence that many attacks, muggins, robberys take place in inner cities where youths have nothing better to do than to f**k up other people's lives.

Shaunbaby! Where did you EVER get so much uncommon sense?

Keep up the good work and you could have my vote in an election.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Actually he is right, crime has a direct link with poverty and unemployment. It has been shown over and over again by book after book, I don't see many "experts" saying otherwise.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join