It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kill the Middle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I've always held the middle ground in politics. I'm not way right, I'm not way left. It used to be that the middle ground was mainstream American - everyone was in the middle. Now both parties are way right or way left, and the middle ground seems to be disappearing.

Is there still a middle ground, do you think, or will we end up with just extreme right and extreme left, and we the voters will have to decide which extreme we can tolerate for 4 years?

Or has everyone picked a side that's moved way away from me and I'm the only one left in the center? Does middle ground in politics still exist?

I'd be interested in hearing your views, and where you consider yourself to be in relation to the middle.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The current political climate has made the "middle ground" an uncool place to be. The polarization of the political spectrum is IMHO due to a phenomenon that I can only describe as binaryism ("with us or against us", "all or nothing", 1's or 0's). It has completely shattered any national unity that resulted from 9/11 and now its threatening to tear this country apart. This is becoming more and more evident in government, for example good bills being thrown out just because it was submited by a democrat or vise-versa.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
Or has everyone picked a side that's moved way away from me and I'm the only one left in the center? Does middle ground in politics still exist?

I'd be interested in hearing your views, and where you consider yourself to be in relation to the middle.

Speaking as a former right-winger I"ll say this.. the middle ground does still exist. For the majority of the USA's history, our policies (in general - at least in foreign policy) have mainly stuck to the views hammered out between sides IN THE MIDDLE. It's usually the only way to actually get anything done in politics. Our nation seriously needs to get back to that and to leave the fanatics on both sides howling in their respective outskirts. Their voice should be heard, but moderation should win the day.

I have just been selected to represent you all at PTS as a council member. I believe it is b/c I have grown more tolerant and moderate in my views in the last several years. And more willing to see things from all angles. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I would love some middle ground in Washington, I have great respect for 'moderate' politics. It's the only way to get anything accomplished it seems, but what I see happening is not moderation or extreme leftism.

I honestly try not to be one of those raving extremists but it's hard when I see what is happening to our country. It's especially hard when no one seems to notice or care...

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Republicans used to be sensible. Now, the GOP has given itself over right-wing fanatics of the worst sort (NeoCons & religious fundamentalists). I'm a Christian, but I do agree with the idea of separation of church and state. I'm also one they used to call a hawk on defense. The policies pursued and implemented by the Neo Cons has been a disasterous path to take. It's past time for the GOP to get its head straight, remember what it used to stand for and move back toward sanity (which I call the middle ground - in Republican politics).

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The problem is americans are a victim of the political divide that they created the world isnt black and white despite the way american politics potrays it. For example when it comes to many social issues Im a radical liberal (excluding illegal drugs) but when it comes to econmic issues Im a consertive. There certainly isnt a place for me on the american political spectrum.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well, there once was... pre-2000. Before that you would have been known as a moderate or liberal Republican. Remember, there was once such a political animal. Jim Jeffords was one and he bailed and went independent when he saw the writing on the wall. It's funny. At first, I disapproved and saw in him weakness. Now, I commend him for taking that stand. It took me a couple years for me to understand why he took such an extreme step. There was nothing else the man could do essentially.

new topics

top topics

join