It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Universe a Hologram?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have been very interested in physics lately even though this has not been by area of study, until now

I orginally ran into some mind-blowing concepts in Physics when doing research on connections between Hinduism and science; one theory that stayed with me was proposed by physicists. It has been suggested that the universe might be a hologram. In the August 2003 issue of "Scientific American" the front cover reads: Are you a Hologram?

Here is the overview they give:
-An astonishing theory called the holographic principle jholds that the universe is like a hologram: just as a trick of light allows a three-dimensional image to be recorded on a flat piece of film, our seemingly three-dimensional universe could be completely equivalent to alternative quantum fields and physical laws "painted" on a distant, vast surface.
-The physics of black holes - immenssely dense concentrations of mass - provides a hint that the principle might be true. Studies of black holes show that, although it defies common sense, the maximum entropy or information content of any region of space is defined not by its surface area.
-Physicists hope that this suprising finding is a clue to the ultimate thoery of reality.

If that sounds intriguing to you, check out the scientific american and the link here
www.earthportals.com...

I'd be interested in suggestions for further reading on the subject.

-JAH

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Lol, thats the most absurd theory ever! however it would'nt be the first time that a crazy idea happend to be true.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 06:59 PM
link   
That's a fascinating theory indeed... If you consider the possibility that "flat" universe has a thickness of say 500,000,000 miles or so it's possible isn't it?

Imagine a trillion million billion square miles by 500,000,000 thisck and you could have a heck of a hologram!

PEACE...
m...

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Now if I could only make an image of Seven of Nine appear in front of me.. then I'd be happy.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Well they say that DNA can be basically called a hologram too..somewhere i read that.

WE are more electromagnetic beings than chemical...

A hologram doesn't sound that far from the truth. WE could just be a projection of ourselves.

posted on Aug, 9 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
We are what the mind perceives.

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I would like to be a hologram... If we were just light... then wouldn't i be able to put my hand through my body... I mean, light can shine through light.. so far the only way I can stick my hand through my body involves my hand.... and a hacksaw.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
David Bohm came up with the holgraphic theory the same time KArl Pribram came up with the holographic brain theory. They did this independently of each other, but the theories fit together like a glove...

new topics

top topics

join