It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dean's mouth that wont stop roaring.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2005/06/08/MNGVND590S1.DTL

Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, unapologetic in the face of recent criticism that he has been too tough on his political opposition, said in San Francisco this week that Republicans "all behave the same, and they all look the same. ... It's pretty much a white Christian party. "

"We're more welcoming to different folks, because that's the kind of people we are,'' Dean said Monday, responding to a question about diversity during a forum with minority leaders and journalists. "But that's not enough. We do have to deliver on things: jobs and housing and business opportunities and college opportunities.''

Dean's remarks are an example of why the former Vermont governor, who remains popular with the party's grass roots, has been a lightning rod for criticism since being elected to head the Democratic National Committee in February. His comments last week that Republicans "never made an honest living in their lives," which he later clarified to say Republican "leaders," were disavowed by such leading Democrats as Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware and New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson.

Dean's latest remarks -- made as he trolled California this week, stoking his party's coffers and meeting with grassroots activists as part of a nationwide trip -- could ignite more controversy and reaction from his own party.

"You know, the Republicans are not very friendly to different kinds of people. They're a pretty monolithic party. Pretty much, they all behave the same, and they all look the same. ... It's pretty much a white Christian party, '' the former Vermont governor told a San Francisco roundtable Monday in reaction to a question about the lack of outreach to minority communities by political parties.

"Our folks have got to spend time in the communities,'' he said. "We want a very diverse group of people running for office -- African Americans, Asian Americans, Latinos.''

//ed to shorten lengthy article//

[edit on 8-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
As a white Christian, I just wanted to than Howard "Scream" Dean for reminding me who to vote for! Republicans obviously. Thanks Howard!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The Republicans who have a majority in DC are all White Christian Males: Bush at the Exec branch, Congress = Tom DeLay in the House & Bill Frist in the Senate, Supreme Court is run by Tony 'Fat Boy' Scalia.
The head of the Republican National Comittee , Ed Gillespie, is a White Christian Male. Ralph Reed, who headed the Christian Coalition, is a shoe in to be the next RNC chair.
Republicans account for how many Congressional seats to people of color? Once JC Watts left, that was it.

So come on boys, you really should sniff your fingers before you try to shake hands!!

As to clear up another propaganda point: On Deans "scream" = what was sent to the MMS was a sample that snuffed the crowd noise; look at the tape with the sound in real time - real audio.....you can barely hear him above the vociferous crowd.
But this was covered on ATS......guess it doesn't fit the agenda to STOP trying to make propaganda fact, huh?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This, just from Bush's top cabinet members:
Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierez
Labor Secretary Elaine Chao
Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta
HUD Secretary Alphonso Jackson
Secretary of State Colin Powell
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

All white, Christian males, right? Again, that's just the top levels of the cabinet.

As for Dean, when he first got the chair of the DNC, I looked into him. I wasn't buying the hype being put forward about him being an extremist. I did, and his voting record is shockingly moderate. So, as a result, just recently I had to change my mind about John Kerry. Kerry's voting record was extremely liberal, but he came across as a moderate during the election. I now believe that Kerry could have been a moderate after listening to the "moderate" Dean make his enlightened statements.

As many said before, which I used to disagree with, Howard Dean is the best thing that could have happened to the Republican party. Thanks, Democrats!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
THe Democrats making "tempering" remarks ( Joe Biden) to Dean's observations, are the very same Democrats who sold out the party; and in effect by virtue of not mounting a ballz to the wall opposition, the country, allowing further manipulation via the Bush regime.

"We're more welcoming to different folks, because that's the kind of people we are,'' Dean said Monday, responding to a question about diversity during a forum with minority leaders and journalists. "But that's not enough. We do have to deliver on things: jobs and housing and business opportunities and college opportunities.''

We are, meaning, the rank & file is reflected in the elected officials.
Where are the Republican people of color that were elected to office? *cricket*

Bush's selection of ethnic millionaires to cabinet posts means what, exactly? That Republicans value diversity? Where are the Congressmen?

But hey, at a time when people should be looking to hang Bush, DeLay, Biden, Liberman for colusion & selling out America, some are getting their first party cards....

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As of September, 2004, 97% of the senate was white. The other three consisted of two asians and one Native American. I'm having trouble tracking down who these three individuals are and which party the represent because, and I'm just guessing here, in many people's minds their works far outweigh their race.

However, Howard Dean has made it clear that race is a top consideration, and that the Democrats are more progressive with this. 97 out of 100 people are white, and one group is calling the other racist for the race of its elected officials? Those who live in glass houses...

The House is slightly more diverse, only 86% consisted of whites. I'm sure the contention would be that the other 14% are all democrats, but I've had the same luck with the house on tracking these individuals down as I did the senate. If you're going to claim the 14% are all Democrats, please, share with me the 63 names so I can look into them and confirm it for myself.

So, either we have the pot calling the kettle black here, or there's more to this issue than "Republicans hate minorities".

Again, Dean is great for the Republican party. Especially if you believe the GOP runs the Main Stream Media. That being the case, Dean is giving us sound bite after sound bite to play over and over, allowing America to see the Democrats as the solution-free finger-pointers they've become.

There's something wrong with the system.
Oh yeah? There's always something wrong with the system, what's your solution to fix it?
Get rid of George Bush!
How is that going to help it?
We won't have George Bush in power!
And what will you do when you're in power which will fix the system?
George Bush won't be in power! He's a bad, bad man!
But what's the plan?
To get George Bush out of office!
After that, I mean.
To celebrate George Bush being out of office!
And after that? What will you do to fix the system?
We need to get George Bush out of power!
etc, etc, etc.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
[

"
.Where are the Republican people of color that were elected to office? *cricket*

Bush's selection of ethnic millionaires to cabinet posts means what, exactly? That Republicans value diversity? Where are the Congressmen?

Hmmm people out making $$$ actually working or elected Congressmen. Who would you rather in top positions in Government?

Hope that answers your questions.

Clinton had 8 years, who where his top minority picks? Joycelyn Elders for "Surgeon General". What about murdered Clinton informant, Ron Brown for Transportation Secretary, both are minor positions.

Just compare Clinton to Bush and it is obvious as to who treats minorities better.

[edit on 9-6-2005 by Carseller4]

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
As a white Christian, I just wanted to than Howard "Scream" Dean for reminding me who to vote for! Republicans obviously. Thanks Howard!

You only vote for white christians? You just proved Dean's point.

[edit on 6/9/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Maybe just maybe there is a hidden message here that we are not hearing. Could it be a warning.Could he be trying to get across a messageto everyone. Because he more than likely know's things that could put him in grave danger? But he is somehow hoping someone will catch on. I'm not saying this as a fact just a different point of view that's all.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Dean got it wrong anyway...

...it's white Christians with guns.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecky

You only vote for white christians? You just proved Dean's point.

[edit on 6/9/2005 by Lecky]

You don't get it do you? You think there are no White Christians in the democrat party? Of course there is. How many do you think will turn to Republicans, after getting slammed by Dean? Plenty.

You do know that "Scream" Dean is a Republican party operative? We controlled McAulliffe now we control Dean. It's simply genius!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Women and Minorities are better represented in Congress via the Democrats; that's irrefutable. That Whites are disproportionately represented by all parties in Washington is also irrefutable - but that's the same in Corp. America as well.
What Dean is saying resonates, Jake, except you keep inching ( ok, jumping
) to be Carseller lite!! The entire text: he's saying that in order for that party to prosper, they need to focus on the issues that only they've addressed, which is opportunity developement for minorities, parity of the sexes and anti-descrimination initiatives to protect everyone.

Caresalesman: Clinton had 8 years, who where his top minority picks?

It's used cars you're selling, right?

Facts - go out & get ya some , son!!

Appointed the Most Diverse Administration in History

THEN: Few women and minorities in the top levels of government.

The impressive strides made by women and minorities had not been fully reflected in the top levels of government. When President Clinton came to office, there were just two women and two minorities in the cabinet. Between 1976 and 1992, there were just 57 African Americans appointed to federal judgeships, and in 1992, just 10 percent of the federal bench were minorities and only 11 percent were women. Comparatively, in 1990, women made up 51.3 percent of the population while minorities made up 25.1 percent of the U.S. population.

AFTER CLINTON: Appointed the most diverse cabinet in history.

President Clinton appointed the most diverse Cabinet in history. Over the past eight years, he has appointed seven African American Cabinet Secretaries, and women make up 44 percent of Clinton Administration appointees, including the first woman to serve as Secretary of State, Madeline Albright, and the first to serve as Attorney General, Janet Reno. The President also appointed the first Asian American to serve in a Cabinet, Commerce Secretary Norman Mineta. The President has appointed more African Americans to federal judgeships than were appointed during the last sixteen years combined and 14 percent of all Clinton Administration appointees are African American, twice as many as in any previous Administration. President Clinton appointed three times as many female judges as the two previous administrations and the most Hispanic judicial nominees of any President. Record numbers of people with disabilities are also serving in the White House and throughout the Clinton Administration.

Whitehouse.gov

Also, President Clinton is the first President to appoint an openly gay or lesbian person to an Administration post. The President had nominated more than 150 openly gay and lesbian appointees.

I'm not homophobic, so maybe that's a strike against him, in your book.

Back on Dean, The Republicans bleeted like sheep incessintly, from Bush to Senators to Congressmen to Televangelists....about how they were more holy and were more representative of people of faith ( Did anyone really think they meant devout Muslims? ) in their non-stop campaign from 2000 to 2004 - the main stream media offered countless feature articles on it....NOW......Dean calls a spade a spade & your panties are all in a bunch!?!?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
Women and Minorities are better represented in Congress via the Democrats; that's irrefutable. That Whites are disproportionately represented by all parties in Washington is also irrefutable...

Yes, it is. It all depends on how you believe those minorities and women can best be served by the government. If you believe that they have been oppressed, and as a result of that have psychological issues which can only be dealt with by putting them on a higher playing field to work through those problems and also cause white males to become more accepting of having them in positions of power and influence, then yes, the democratic party represents them better.

However, if you believe, like me, that those policies are going to cause women and minorities to feel that they are owed something and that they are entitled to the same rewards for shoddier quality of work, if you believe that by giving them a higher playing field it's only going to increase the racial divide due to white males feeling resentment towards them and them feeling anger towards white males for putting them into the position they're in, then the Democratic party's representation of these people is awful.

CarSeller Lite? Dang, I was hoping to be my own person, but I'll take that. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
However, if you believe, like me, that those policies are going to cause women and minorities to feel that they are owed something and that they are entitled to the same rewards for shoddier quality of work, if you believe that by giving them a higher playing field it's only going to increase the racial divide due to white males feeling resentment towards them and them feeling anger towards white males for putting them into the position they're in, then the Democratic party's representation of these people is awful.

And this is clearly one subject where age & experience of application trump out over academic postulating & theorizing. I've been in the professional workforce for over 20 years. I've attended countless meeting with 'C' level executives, VP's & Presidents. I've worked for huge multi-nationals that are extremely progressive with diversity initiatives, as well as having the same as clients.
Any & all people I've encountered that have been women or minorities have gotten to their lofty positions through talent, initiative and determination - suggesting that skin tone or ethnic background gave them a "pass" to proffer half-azz work is an illustration of both a lack of real world expereince and how young folks getting into political awareness are co-opted via broad based propaganda & willful misconceptions.
The cruel reality of the real world of corporate America is this: Affirmitive Action is lip service. It always gets lip service, sometimes extremely eloquent lip service. But at the end of the day, people hire who they want to hire, they promote who they want to promote, and any type of federal EEO data that gets turned up always has the "hires" there to illustrate compliance.....but look at most all companie's executive staff.....it won't even come close to representing the demographics of the population....you'll see mostly White male faces.
Stupid White males feeling disenfranchised? So be it. There are stupid Black/Latino/Asian's as well, who spend more time complaining than doing like that Latina down in the next cubicle getting her Masters degree at night while raising 3 kids, or that White man who went into the military straight out of HS - got his degree & a profession - went to work for a contractor in his same field & now has his own company.
In Spanish there's a phrase that describes it....it's called 'crabs in a barrel' ( = jealousy & envy )

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You don't get it do you? You think there are no White Christians in the democrat party? Of course there is. How many do you think will turn to Republicans, after getting slammed by Dean? Plenty.

That's where you are wrong, please don't insult my intelligence by stating the obvious...of course there are white Christian democrats, but we don't throw religion into the political race to get votes, while Republicans are known to scream "WE ARE CHRISTIANS LOOK AT US...CHRISTIAN MORALS BLAH BLAH BLAH". What Dean was implying is that Republicans only cater to their own interests (white Christians) while Democrats look out for others.

By the way...Dean is a white Christian.

[edit on 6/10/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Yes, it is. It all depends on how you believe those minorities and women can best be served by the government. If you believe that they have been oppressed, and as a result of that have psychological issues which can only be dealt with by putting them on a higher playing field to work through those problems and also cause white males to become more accepting of having them in positions of power and influence, then yes, the democratic party represents them better.

I love it when republicans like to pretend that racism and sexism never existed and still do not exist today...like its some crazy myth that the left made up.

Trust me as a woman I AM THANKFUL for those policies...you are so out of touch it's not even funny...actually it sort of is funny, and oh so typical of the Repub mentality! There's tons of republican women and minorities taking advantage of those benefits while at the same time complaining about others who get them.
If white males feel any resentment towards me for being considered a human being deserving of the same rights as them...that's THEIR problem. I'm happy with my rights thank you very much.

How come the only people I see complaining about minority rights are white men? Why are they always republican?

[edit on 6/10/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
It's not the same rights which is causing the problem, but rather more rights. Perhaps you've read about the University of Oregon's new take on the first come first serve for selecting classes. Noww, classes can be designated "minority" and white students can't sign up. Same rights, or more rights?

I really don't see how the quote you quoted says racism and sexism never existed. I haven't said so on this thread, but have in the past that affirmative action was absloutly necessary when it was enacted. However, we are no longer living in the mentality of the 50s and 60s. Civil rights are no longer dirty words. For the most part, and I know there are exceptions, but for the most part people in the business world are now being evaluated on their abilities, not their race or gender.

Finally, in closing, I guess I'm happy I'm out of touch with your reality, and I'm glad I sort of amused you

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Lets take a look at elected minorities in the Senate!

How many Republican Senators are a minority? Four.
How many Republican Representitives are minority? 20-30.

You see, it is easy to say republicans don't hate blacks, look at Condi. But she wasn't voted for, neither was Mr. Torture, I mean the hispanic guy who ordered torture and got a promotion for it.

While Dems, well, we have several minorities in the Seante, in fact we have 350% more!(easy to do when republicans have Four!!!!)

Barack Obama ring a bell?
Daniel Akaka, an Islander.
Barbara Boxer, woman.
Maria Cantwell, woman.
Hillary Clinton, a woman, I think.
Russ Feingold, Jew.
Dianne Feinstein, woman and a Jew.
Daniel Inouye, Islander.
Mary Landrieu, woman.
Frank Lautenberg, Jew.
Blanche Lincoln, woman.
Barbara Mikulski, woman.
Patty Murray, woman.
Debbie Stabenow, woman.

So, 14-4. And there are less then 50 democrat senators, so like 30.4% of democrat Senators are minorites, and 7.2% of republican senators are minorities.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

It's not the same rights which is causing the problem, but rather more rights. Perhaps you've read about the University of Oregon's new take on the first come first serve for selecting classes. Noww, classes can be designated "minority" and white students can't sign up. Same rights, or more rights?

Well it's hard for me to identify with that since I've never felt oppressed because of my race. I'll say a prayer for those poor white people before I go to bed tonight

I really don't see how the quote you quoted says racism and sexism never existed. I haven't said so on this thread, but have in the past that affirmative action was absloutly necessary when it was enacted. However, we are no longer living in the mentality of the 50s and 60s. Civil rights are no longer dirty words. For the most part, and I know there are exceptions, but for the most part people in the business world are now being evaluated on their abilities, not their race or gender.

I'd love to believe that as well...trust me.

Finally, in closing, I guess I'm happy I'm out of touch with your reality, and I'm glad I sort of amused you

Thanks
Those were good times we shared.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Lets take a look at elected minorities in the Senate!

How many Republican Senators are a minority? Four.
How many Republican Representitives are minority? 20-30.

You see, it is easy to say republicans don't hate blacks, look at Condi. But she wasn't voted for, neither was Mr. Torture, I mean the hispanic guy who ordered torture and got a promotion for it.

While Dems, well, we have several minorities in the Seante, in fact we have 350% more!(easy to do when republicans have Four!!!!)

So, 14-4. And there are less then 50 democrat senators, so like 30.4% of democrat Senators are minorites, and 7.2% of republican senators are minorities.

Then why weren't all these elected representatives never given the opportunity to serve in top leadership positions? Remember Maynard Jackson, he was ready to take control of the DNC, but was stabbed in the back by the Clinton's and was made to take a back seat to Terry McAulliffe. (Who BTW, did a great job working as a Republican operative, just like Dean is now) shhhhhh.

I'll ask again who do you want in top leadership positions. A politician or someone who makes it in the real world? ie. Condi Rice, Clarence Thomas, or Colin Powell (you don't get elected General you earn it).

Oh BTW again....I do sell used cars! I make alot more money that way! I'd hate to be a GM salesman right now. "You pay what we pay" is pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join