It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Masonic journey begins...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
... in July. I had petitioned my local lodge in April, and received a letter yesterday telling me when I am to receive the first degree. I'm a little surprised, because when the investigation committee came to my house, they said I would probably not find anything out until August.

In any case, thanks to a couple of you here in the forum for answering some of my questions.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Congratulations and a very well meant welcome to a new brother[or soon to be new brother
]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Very cool! You can feel very comfortable in knowing that, no matter how pointless some thing seem at times in Freemasonry, know that every brother in history has travelled the same path that you will now travel. Please keep us updated on your journey

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustMe74
... in July. I had petitioned my local lodge in April, and received a letter yesterday telling me when I am to receive the first degree. I'm a little surprised, because when the investigation committee came to my house, they said I would probably not find anything out until August.

In any case, thanks to a couple of you here in the forum for answering some of my questions.

Congratulations, it's a choice you will not regret.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Well yesterday evening I received the first degree... what an experience. I'm glad I didn't "cheat" and look it up on the Internet!

I'm a little dissapointed that I wasn't drugged, my toilet hasn't been bombed, and I'm not in control of the world now, but hey, it was still cool!

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
yeah the 1st degree initiation is fun and has its surprises. welcome to the brotherhood.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Congrats JustMe.

I'm looking to put my petition in within the next two months.
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting, but I think it's just time to bite the bullet and do it. I'm not getting any younger. It's getting hard to be patient.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Welcome to the fraternity, brother. If you thought your 1st degree was great, well... you ain't seen nuthin yet.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by moonchild
yeah the 1st degree initiation is fun and has its surprises. welcome to the brotherhood.

Please describe the "fun" and "surprises," I've never heard it quite put that way before...

JustMe74, congratulations on your first step in Freemasonry, I look forward to your updates regarding your journey to Light.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Axeman
Congrats JustMe.

I'm looking to put my petition in within the next two months.
I've been waiting and waiting and waiting, but I think it's just time to bite the bullet and do it. I'm not getting any younger. It's getting hard to be patient.

Honestly, I wish I had done this sooner... not sure why I didn't. If you've decided it's something you want to do, I suggest you don't wait, just go ahead and do it. I know I was really worried about the "investigation" process, but it ended up being pretty relaxed (indeed, I might even say "pleasant") so I really didn't have anything to worry about.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Please describe the "fun" and "surprises," I've never heard it quite put that way before...

JustMe74,

fun : the rope around the neck, walking around the temple simulating the cleansing through the elements while you have a piece of cloth to cover your eyes.

surprises : the glass of saltwater, the dagger on your chest, the candle in your back.

thats what i meant

[edit on 7-8-2005 by moonchild]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Where are your obligations? have you forgoten them?

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiggy
Where are your obligations? have you forgoten them?

no i didnt, i will never reveal the means of recognition, or the material that my lodge handed to me. I am however free to discuss anything else. I have my grandmaster approval on this. I didnt disclose any secrets, just type first degree initiation in google and youll get way more information than i just gave you. My strategy is to go ''border line'' so i can stir some interest.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
JustMe,

I would suggest (after you're a MM) attending each of the ceremonies as a spectator. It's not only facinating watching someone traverse the steps that you once traveled, but also helps reinforce the lessons learned. It's hard to take it all in the first time around with your nerves and anticipation of it all.

Again, I don't think you'll ever regret making this journey.

Moonchild: Just because we can say them...doesn't mean we should
You never know another "initiate in waiting" (like Axeman) may be reading this board and we don't want to spoil the experience for them.

Respectively, I would say that when a Mason approaches the "border-line", they should be prepared for some Brothers to remind them of their obligation. Especially since the "private" things can vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Edit: Titles of respect must be earned.

[edit on 7-8-2005 by Golfie]

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
yea i know, and this is exactly my goal. there is a lot of material that i am forbidden to share, and i know exactly what. However, my grandmaster allows me to speak openly about delicate subjects purpusefully to create interests.

Dont worry brothers, im not here to reveal your secrets or expose the practices fully.

Moonchild: Brother...Just because we can say them...doesn't mean we should

I beg to differ. If i can say them, i will say them if the circumstances are right.
keeping that kind of stuff secret is elitism, and i believe this goes against the spirit of freemasonry. Because we do not only have a oath toward our brothers, we have an obligation toward the whole humanity now.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't consider it elitism at all. It a matter of keeping private things private (note private not secret).

For example....

There are no oaths or obligations from you divulging your personal finance information....but you choose not to. Because it is private. Not because your an elitist....just because it's nobody elses business. In my humble opinion there are somethings in Masonry that are that way too....

But, I digress.....to each their own. Remember that when the borders aren't clearly marked....it's easy to cross them.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
you are totally right golfie.

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

fun : the rope around the neck, walking around the temple simulating the cleansing through the elements while you have a piece of cloth to cover your eyes.

Perhaps you mean a Cable Tow, followed by Circumambulation-being conducted about the Lodge to the three Obstructions, and maybe you were referring to a Hoodwink?

Your profane terminology betrays you Cowan, no Mason would so clumsily refer to a Cable Tow, or a Hoodwink as you have, nor would they refer to the Circumambulation about the Lodge as some form of cleansing, it serves a much different purpose.

surprises : the glass of saltwater, the dagger on your chest, the candle in your back.

I have seen the Entered Apprentice Degree in several Grand Lodge Jurisdictions, and I have never seen a "glass of saltwater," nor a "candle in your back" during any Section (I have seen a glass of water get a lot of attention during the lecture, it's pretty long). I won't claim it doesn't figure into some Grand Lodge's Ritual, but I somehow doubt there's anything Regular about it.

thats what i meant

I'm sure it was...

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golfie
JustMe,

I would suggest (after you're a MM) attending each of the ceremonies as a spectator.

Thanks for the advice. Actually a couple of the guys in my lodge told me that if they hear of any EA degrees being conferred locally they are going to let me know so I can go visit that lodge. I hope that happens, I think it would be interesting.

Cug

posted on Aug, 7 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

Your profane terminology betrays you Cowan, no Mason would so clumsily refer to a Cable Tow, or a Hoodwink as you have, nor would they refer to the Circumambulation about the Lodge as some form of cleansing, it serves a much different purpose.

Well in another post he did say he was part of the rites of Memphis and Mizraim, and I'm sure they have diffrent rites, rules etc..

Oh when your in a forum, where profane people can read it kinda makes sense speaking in a profane way. Or maybe he wanted to keep the correct terms private?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join