It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanks In The Streets Of New York

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
After Spet. 11 they increased security at high profile locations through out the city. These areas require 'troop' trransports which are Police owned. The 'military' one if you actually saw them a couple of weeks ago, were part of Fleet Week. Security is still high downtown in the Financial district and in Times Square with roving heavy weapons policemen.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So overall, we can agree this is done to either;

A) Moving bases

B) Exercise

C) Security reasons

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Well, after much googling, I managed to find a relevant article that probably explains the photos taken. While the author did not give an exact date, a recent anti-terrorism/disaster response exercise took place in NYC (June 1st and 2nd, not the weekend, unless it was postponed, the below article is pre-exercise). I was surprised, actually, most of the google results I found were the article that started this post and not the explanation for the pictures. Anyway, for all you folks, it was just an exercise, and a fanciful waste of more tax payer dollars. God Bless America!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

A) Moving bases

B) Exercise

C) Security reasons

I'd agree with that assessment.

---------------

Anyway, for all you folks, it was just an exercise, and a fanciful waste of more tax payer dollars. God Bless America!

I would'nt agree with that however... It was Hackworth that said "Prior planning prevents poor performance."

In the event of an emergency many agencies have to work together as one solid unit. NYPD, National Guard, NYFD, Secret Service, USCG, and TONS of other agencies need to work together fluidly. Periodicly testing the machine, keeps the gears warm, and ready to move when they have too.

[edit on 6/10/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

A) Moving bases

B) Exercise

C) Security reasons

I say promotional value, as part of the recruitment drive. Of course I can't be certain, but I think its the most likely explanation. Army vehicles of this type don't use Manhattan for transport from base to base. They would be seen much more frequently if they were, and it makes zero sense for them to do so from a traffic point of view. That said, the times they are a changin', so maybe we'll start seeing more of these vehicles in the city.

Security reasons are unlikely also in my opinion, because the National Guard and Army have armored vehicles aplenty in the two or three armories scattered around Manhattan, but of a different type than the pictured ones. I don't see why they'd need these particular vehicles when they have a "heavy vehicle" contingency in place.

As for exercises, it's certainly possible, but again I think it unlikely because usually the rags like the Post and Daily News are chock full of stories about any little military or police special activities going on in the city, and I haven't read anything about exercises lately. Of course, it's possible I missed it, but has anyone read anything?

What I HAVE seen is glossy painted army Humvees in many central locations (Union Square and Penn Station) with soldiers hanging around trying to sign people up. Personally, I think they don't need those kind of flashy gimmicks, and should send the Humvees to Iraq where they are apparently needed.

You know, aside from asking, the best way to find out what these vehicles were up to would be to scan their coms.

EDIT: Just read Simons post above. I guess it was an exercise after all, heh...

-koji K.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 10-6-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Sorry about that, I messed up and didn't put in the link....

Here you go, it's the 4th article down on the page...

www.cshs-us.org...

Not that they needed tanks, necessarily, for "effectively obtaining and distributing medicine to citizens in the aftermath of a chemical or biological attack," but hey, that's what makes America so cool...We go all out on everything!

[edit on 6/12/2005 by SimonColynAdrian]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Source: Curtis L. Taylor, “City preps for bioterrorism; Will test warning system and multi-agency procedures beginning today in areas of Queens, sponsored by Homeland Security Department,” Newsday (New York), 1 June 2005: A18

Solved, well done Simon.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I've seen them surround the Federal building in Atlanta with tanks on several occassions. Don't know if it's routine training or a response to something, but this is the age we live in.

And that is exactly what they are hoping you'll say. They keep telling us that we are not safe and that we need further protection, so we let them institute "security measures" that will actually do very little to prevent a real attack. But as long as there are no attacks it must be working, right? So when armored vehicles roll down a New York street people feel that it's just our government protecting us from the big bad terrorists. And of course we cheer them when they roll by because it would be un-American not to. They have everyone so brain washed right now and it's getting worse every day. It's to the point that nobody cares that they are routinely disregarding rules of conduct in formal Congressional meetings and erasing the idea of States Rights. That's ok. Everyone else can stand and wave at the great "protectors of our freedom" while I find high ground to stand on when the wave comes crashing down on our nation.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I've lived in New York City my entre life and I know exactly where those photos were taken, that street happens to be between the national guard armory on the east side and the Intrepid floating museum on the far west side. I've never personally seen armored vehicles roaming the streets of New York, but I have seen the Ghostbusters car, the Batmobile and an NYPD Mobile Command Center parked in front of a Krispy Kreme. My point? This is New York City, armored vehicles would be far from the strangest thing I've seen.

The next time you're here in my neck of the woods I would suggest a trip to Grand Central Station, there you will find the whole area under military control, granted there are uniformed NYPD officers, but the soldiers are armed with M-16s, who do you think is in charge?

I must say, it is a strange site to see fully equipped soldiers loitering around the train station. Or SWAT decked to the gills hanging on the corner. In fact much of that is simply for window dressing, the NYPD recently instituted a policy where officers can earn time and a half for hanging around in their uniform on their off hours. They're technically off duty and don't have to arrest or help anyone if they don't feel like it.

I think New York City is a major shock to most people who aren't from here. The Intrepid floating museum happens to be an aircraft carrier of considerable size, on the main flight deck you can find helicopters, fighter jets from all eras and even an SR-71 blackbird. There's also a submarine with a ready to launch cruise missle, I actually took the tour of the sub many years ago, we were strictly informed not to touch anything as the sub is still active.

Perhaps it seemed I digressed severly but it's 5 in the morning so I beg leniancy. My point is this, if you're looking for an NWO conspiracy for military control of New York City you're a little too late. It's been this way since 9/11.

In fact, it can be rather amussing. I would suggest, upon your next trip to the city, that you go up to one of the SWAT members (who in my opinion look much akin to turtles in all that armor) and ask them about what they're there for etc. Last time someone asked that the poor guy was at a loss for an answer. "Uuuuh, yeah, we uhhhhh, fight the terrorists.......if they come around" They're quite friendly and you can have your picture taken with them.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join