It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanks In The Streets Of New York

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
its just one step closer to marshall law

and from what you say most people cheer them on lol

i wont get all paranoid about it; but i certainly disagree with this...

theres no reason us military men should be patrolling the streets in a light armored vehicle

they already have enough police there

in fact why arent these soliders patrolling the boarders???

the illegal aliens pouring in is a far bigger threat to US Security than anything going down in NYC...

just my opinion

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I remember the first time I saw a tank on the streets of London.

It would have been sometime around 1978..........

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
hey all well get this, I work for the tollway in illinois and i just got out of a mandatory class involving homeland security the MADE us give out our personal info or if we didnt they would get it anyway from our higher-ups
they say that they were training us for suspicious activities. what a bunch of B.S, when we got hired pre 9-11 we all had been trained on stuff like that just because its our job to keep the road safe, Maybe i'm being paranoid, i dont know. anybody else have anything like that go on with their jobs?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
this is really interesting...

...and pretty odd at the same time, still seems weird to me

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah_John
Those are Marine Corps LAVs. They are rated for road use and have been on American streets for years and years going either to maneuvers, or to static displays (when military gear goes on display in a park, etc.) Instead of carrying them on the back of a semi truck they simply drive them. Paranoid types always get a big kick out of them though. ^^

Ok that's good to know; hopefully that's all it was. I was really wondering what the heck tanks were doing in the streets of NYC. I was also wondering "wouldn't that completely ruin the roads?" Then I scrolled down and found your reply, JJ. Maybe the people are used to seeing this sort of thing; even if it is totally harmless, I am surprised people weren't freaking out, unless they all know what JJ posted above. If I saw tanks driving around my city, I'd probably think the Americans were invading us!

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In line with what one poster stated above, the important issue here is whether they were patrolling/stationed there, or were en route to somewhere, be it an exhibition of military equipment or whatever. It's highly unlikely that they were sent to patrol the streets of the city. In that case the paranoia is unfounded.

If the frequency of this kind of thing steadily increases, and the vehicles appear to be patrolling rather than traveling, then there might be something to be concerned about, whether it's deliberate conditioning of the people to accept troops in the streets, or placing troops and armored vehicles in the city to ensure "security". Until then it's just needless fretting.

Also, the vehicle is not a tank. It is a Light Armored Vehicle or Armored Personnel Carrier. Huge difference.

[edit on 2005/6/8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
TheSaneOne, being that you are in the unique position of seeing every single car that is travelling on a particular roadway I don't find it very suspicious that you'd be given training on what to look for etc.

You know how sometimes you hear advertisements or advisories telling people to "look out for things that don't look right." In a position like yours you can see a whole lot that doesn't look right. Highway, bridge, tunnel etc... all of those would be places where you'd want people qualified to be on the lookout for possible threats.

About the tank itself... I remember that a week prior to this article I think it was Fleet Week. They were having lots of ceremonies with armed services members. Perhaps it was related to that?

[edit on 6-8-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i can understand that but for 1: 3 1/2 years later and 2:why did they demand my personal info?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Good question. I wouldn't have bothered to ask for it. You're on record with H.R. at your main office anyways. They could've gotten it straight from them much more easily and faster... That is definitely strange that they would pose the question to you like that.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I couldnt find anything (Links)...
But I could find GTA 3 (Rockstar)...
Figure

[edit on 8-6-2005 by The Surrealist]

[edit on 8-6-2005 by The Surrealist]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I seem to remember back when I was about 11 or 12 years of age, and living in St. Louis, that I saw a couple of large tanks going up the road in the middle of the city. Rated for road? I don't know. I do know what I saw, and that would have been about 1959ish or so...

If, in fact, there is something happening, it appears to be very slow in coming.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It's pretty obvious what there doing!

There preparing for martial law, meaning there cooking up a terrorist attack or some sort fo disaster to bring on this martial law.

Anyone agree?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by thesaneone
i can understand that but for 1: 3 1/2 years later and 2:why did they demand my personal info?

1. The DHS wasn't around 3.5 years ago, they also had to create that class which I'm sure took at least some time. Plus there are thousands of tolls in the US, how many people at DHS are working toll duty?

2. Have you ever been to a program or know of one like that where they didn't or don't ask you for personal info?
I'm pretty sure they ask for that stuff to make sure there are no corrupt toll workers purposly letting known criminals/terrorists through....

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

There preparing for martial law, meaning there cooking up a terrorist attack or some sort fo disaster to bring on this martial law.

Anyone agree?

If you could explain what the heck rolling a big personnel vehicle up one of the busiest streets of Manhattan in full public view has to do with secretly bringing on martial law, then yeah I could agree.

I notice everyone disregarded that it was Fleet Week when the author took his picture... The possibility of a presentation or show doesn't occur to anyone.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by aelphaeis_mangarae

Anyone agree?

So, one or two tanks riding down the street enough to prepare for martial law?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

If you could explain what the heck rolling a big personnel vehicle up one of the busiest streets of Manhattan in full public view has to do with secretly bringing on martial law, then yeah I could agree.

I notice everyone disregarded that it was Fleet Week when the author took his picture... The possibility of a presentation or show doesn't occur to anyone.

Im from NYC and yeah last week i saw alot of army personell walking all over downtown! They must be preparing to take over the city. Oh wait it was fleet week recently and there were tons of AF personell all over our beautiful city. lol streets rated for tanks? Sometimes i wonder if our streets are rated for cars... theyre bad enough as it is. But as far as the regularity of tanks rolling down the streets.. ive only seen it once. Martial Law gripping NYC
sorry guys.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh, I can't waith for this summer when the National Guard units start their training schedules and those long convoys of trucks start traversing the highways.

Will the paranoia be as thick then?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
the first time post 9/11 I saw military types in grand central with automatic machine guns, it was creepy. NYC is a gigantic traget. There is constant 24/7 protection of squadrons of f-15's, you just can't see them.

new yorkers wave at the tank, give a thimbs up get on with thier day. if you haven't worked or lived in NYC, you just don't get it.

they very well could have been on their way to the intrepid museum or to some sort of patriotic display.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Sometimes i wonder if our streets are rated for cars... theyre bad enough as it is.

Perhaps it was a group of people who finally got sick of the planet sized craters in the street destroying their wheels!

Seriously speaking though, as a New Yorker, I wouldn't even pay attention to this. There were so many presentations and parties going on for Fleet Week. Even when it's not Fleet Week, literally every other day there is something out of the ordinary going on here. It's part of why I couldn't live anywhere else.

My point is, if someone were preparing some sort of takeover plan or martial law etc they would not do it up 7th avenue waving to people. That does not make sense. You bring the stuff in quietly when you're planning on surprising people. Not one vehicle by its lonesome on parade.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Nobody took the time to say, “why the hell are armed soldiers and tanks rolling down the middle of the street?!”

If I had to deal with New York traffic, I'd want a tank too...........

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join