It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Shuttle Can Make Emergency Landing In France

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Photo: AP/Scanpix - Click for norwegian article (if you can read norwegian...)

In the event of an emergency the Space Shuttles can make emergency landings in France. Space Shuttles are now authorized to enter and overfly the French airspace and they can land at the 125 Air Base of Istres Le Tubé. French authorities will ensure the security of the shuttles and their crews. They just signed an agreement.

SpaceRef: France to assist NASA with the future launches of the Space Shuttle

June 7, 2005

France and the United States signed today an agreement for the "use of Istres Le Tubé 125 Air Base as a transoceanic abort landing site" for the Space Shuttle from the Return to Flight onward.

The Agreement was signed by His Excellency Jean-David Levitte, Ambassador of France to the United States, and the Honorable Michael Griffin, NASA Administrator, during a ceremony at NASA Headquarters in Washington D.C. It was concluded with an exceptional cooperation mindset and the French Air Force made their best effort to ease the implementation of all required technical and human resources.

Through this Agreement, the Space Shuttles assigned to the International Space Station may land at the 125 Air Base of Istres Le Tubé in the event of an emergency. Therefore, the Space Shuttles are authorized to enter and overfly the French airspace. Further, the French authorities will take all the necessary measures to ensure the security of the spacecrafts and their crews.

This is good. I hope they will never need to perform an emergency landing. But this will make it easier for them if such event should occure.

Related links:
NASA: U.S. and France Agree To Establish NASA Shuttle Landing Site

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Very nice of the french to offer the US such an agreement after the ridiculous behaviour of the US media and the right in the US demonizing the french

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 8-6-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Good find!
I can see it now...

France this is shuttle..umm over
oui oui..over
we need an emergency landing...umm over
non non...over
why...umm, over

Yeah this is good....anyways what country would turn away a shuttle needing to make an emergency landing? OK don't answer that

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It doesn't have to ...Turn left a little bit and it's in it best friends own back yard...Jolly old England.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Yeah the space shuttle can also emergency land in Japan too. Soon I'll be conducting an execercise on a fake emergency space shuttle landing, which is far from standard protocol. I don't know when that'll be nor can I really disclose ALL TOO MUCH. Only certain things, and even then that could very well be misinformation, not on my part, but their's.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
The Shuttle Orbiter is authorized to make emergency landing in many countries. There are certified facilities in countries including Morocco, Spain, Gambia, Australia, Sweden, Turkey, the Canary Islands, French Polynesia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Zaire, Germany, Crete, the UK, Liberia, Algeria and Deigo Garcia.

[edit on 8-6-2005 by nataylor]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nataylor
The Shuttle Orbiter is authorized to make emergency landing in many countries. There are certified facilities in countries including Morocco, Spain, Gambia, Australia, Sweden, Turkey, the Canary Islands, French Polynesia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Zaire, Germany, Crete, the UK, Liberia, Algeria and Deigo Garcia.

Are you sure?

Do half of these countries even have an airstrip big enough to cope with an emergency shuttle landing?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee

Originally posted by nataylor

Are you sure?

Do half of these countries even have an airstrip big enough to cope with an emergency shuttle landing?

Here's a list I found: link.

All you need is a not-extraordinarily long runway. The main one at Kennedy Space Center is 15,000 feet. NASA describes it as "longer and wider than those found in most commercial airports, yet comparable in size to runways designed for research and development facilities." And remember, that's the optimal runway. A smaller runway may be adequate in the event of an emergency landing where survivability of the crew is primary and survivability of the vehicle is secondary.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
On my little island, Diego Garcia, the airship was made for emergency landings for the shuttle. Of course Diego Garcia is a British island, and houses a fleet of B-2's, but the air strip is very long!

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The space shuttle can land at any runway where the Concorde Jet took off from. THe Condorde needs 11778 ft on runway at takeoff (those high-bleed delta wings are the main reason) and the Space shuttle typically needs 10000 feet of runway to land. but could do with as little as 7000.

The only other consideration is the wieght of the space shuttle at 230,000 pounds, and if the runway it is using can withstand the weight. I belive the one that is normally used is about 16 inches thick

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Basically for a Emergency Landing of the Space Shuttle to happen, the runway must be 200 feet or more in width and nearly 13,000 feet long. If the width of the runway is smaller than 200 feet there is no physical possibility the Space Shuttle could land on that runway. Also what plays a factor for a runway to be approved for the Space Shuttle to make an emergency landing is if it the runway has a barrier arresting cable unit. Like what you see on a Aircraft carrier when an aircraft lands and gets hooked on the cable to stop/slow. Other than that, thats about all I know for now in terms of my own knowledge about this.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Are all space shuttle vehicles assigned to the space station or does it depend on the launch mission? It seems this would exclude all launches other than space station activities from using the landing strip if I understand the first press quote from Hellmutt.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josekinuc
Are all space shuttle vehicles assigned to the space station or does it depend on the launch mission? It seems this would exclude all launches other than space station activities from using the landing strip if I understand the first press quote from Hellmutt.

I didn´t notice that. You are right.

NASA: U.S. and France Agree to Establish NASA Shuttle Landing Site

The agreement covers Space Shuttle missions supporting the International Space Station.

top topics

join