It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars, Earth encounter coming soon.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkinWalker
Didn't this already happen in 2003 ?
I mean Mars and it's closest approach in a century?

Yes, this occurred in 2003. I remember checking the sky one night in August while on a break at work, looking for Mars. It was roughly as bright as a star, only it had a reddish tinge. I'd be interested in knowing if this is happening again, or whether this is referring to that previous event. I do know that in astronomy, some rare events like this do occur relatively close together, the transits of Venus being one example. (they occur in pairs about 7 years apart, then the pairs are like 100 years apart, or something like that)

[edit on 8-6-2005 by DragonsDemesne]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
SkinWalker and The Block,
Check out the link that I provided in my first post.
The event being discussed is this year.
Here is the link again.
science.nasa.gov...
Enjoy

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Ken, this is for you. "Come now little brother, having power is one thing, but knowing how to use it is another."-Rau the Conqueror

Anyway, the scientists DID say the same thing in '03. I was outside at night watching. It was brighter than Venus, but not the size of the moon.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
SkinWalker and The Block,
Check out the link that I provided in my first post.
The event being discussed is this year.
Here is the link again.
science.nasa.gov...
Enjoy

Lol I must be blind I didn't see the link the first time around. Thanks a lot
Hopefully we get some clear nights so I can see Mars well; being in the city, I don't get a good view of the heavens very often.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
That is awesome, if all goes well, that moves us 1 or 2 steps closer to colonizing mars!
WOOT

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Here you go...

"Mindful of that, NASA plans to launch the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) on August 10th, 2005. Because it takes 6+ months to reach Mars, the best time to start the trip is a month or so before closest approach--thus, August. MRO will arrive in March 2006, enter orbit, and begin a 2-year mission to map the red planet in greater detail than ever before.

The spacecraft's high-resolution cameras will be able to discern objects, such as rocks and rovers and crashed Mars landers, less than 1 meter across. A radar sounder will probe for underground water while spectrometers map the distribution of surface minerals. Other instruments will monitor the atmosphere, teaching researchers back on Earth how to forecast martian weather. These are key elements in NASA's plan to eventually send humans to Mars."

thank you...

that is very good news...

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
If all someone is going to need is a cheap telescope to get a really good view then I think i'll get one NOW. I was thinking today that when this hits the mainstream media a cheap telescope will be difficult to find. Every rugrat in the world is going to want one and since you can pick up a pretty good one for less then a hundred bucks, they will probably be scarce. Or worse, double in price.

Wupy

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
.........Doh!............

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Main deception here:

At a modest 75-power
magnification

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked
eye.

Whats with the space??? Any way, this is about as important as astrology, which is to say:
Some What.

Hmm, I predict more war. What do you think Mars?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I can't wait to see it. I wonder how it'll look over the skies of Tokyo Japan. Probably not any different than over the skies of New York City. Hmmm.... There will be a big giant red planet in the sky shining brighter and showing over bigger than ever before. More war indeed, that's what Mars told me.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
has anyone seen it yet? considering it should be pretty visible about now, i want to know when and where to look!

--Kit.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I live in Chicago, IL.( CITY LIGHTS ) but at night looking east Mars is amazing to see just w/ naked eye( today is october 3rd)! Its just amazing to see a planet so "big" compared to the stars in the sky, and reddish tinted!

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
From New Orleans, which way should i look and what should i look for?

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
KITSUNEGARI..... I'm no astronomer, so don't hold me to this ( never even looked thru a telescope) but look kind of east .. i've usually seen it past 9 pm (central time) from chicago

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Ok, thanks SHHCAGO. chicago's pretty much right above here, so your probably right on the dot!

thanks
--Kit.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
anyone else seen it? last night as i was driving across the lake, the harvest moon was coming up and mars was to the upper right of it, it was beautiful! truly an amazing sight to see!

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Pick your telescopes up and check out Mars... NOW! A major dust storm has just broken out on Mars. Perfect timing...

Space.com: Major Dust Storm on Mars Visible with Backyard Telescopes

28 October 2005

A major dust storm has just broken out on Mars and the event will be visible this weekend with good-sized backyard telescopes.

The timing is incredible. Amateur skywatchers around the world are planning to gaze at Mars Saturday night because it will be closer to Earth than anytime until the year 2018.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Where2Hide2006

I have heard of the mars event and am lookin g forward to it. Mars may be the god of war, however. I believe That there are new beginnings associated with this event. There will also be turmoil but not as horrific as some would think.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by peggyford56

you dug up a 4 year old thread, dusted it off, and propped its corpse up for the whole world to see. Nice.

The event that they are referring to happened last year some time. It was a misstatement by some astronomer.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join