It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM to cut 25,000 jobs by 2008.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Just cant beat that 10 cents an hour slave labor over seas.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by ProphetOfYahweh]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is just another example of the "great sucking sound" of jobs going south, spoken of my Ross Perot during his presidential run.

Shameful action by GM.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Check out the back of DVD cases, it says "Made in Mexico" now, ah those dirty Mexicans steal our jobs here and companies screw us over by shutting down jobs in America and moving them down in that trash hole Mexico too.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Funny this subject comes up.

My brother just gave me a call yesterday telling me he had a service call at the GM plant in Linden NJ and that it is so large and nothing was going on that it gave him a weird feeling being there, like a ghost town.

He was telling me that the workers that remain there just go to work and hang out in the cafeteria and drink coffee all day because their contracts don't run out until 2007 but there is no more production.

Now thats the kinda job I want.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It takes GM $1,500 for every car sold just to cover retirement and health care cost. Unions are killing them and GM was too weak to stand up to the unions. Now look what has to happen, 25,000 people are going to lose their jobs. Thanks Unions.

BTW GM's new advertising "You pay what we pay" is pathetic.

Translation... No one wants our cars, and we over produced them, so we will give them away

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I would hate to be the people who losing their job. I'm glad I don't have stock in them right now.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
GM have been having problems for many years, even when I think they built good cars, their problems is that they specialized in trucks, taking in consideration the cost and prices of fuel, the sell of big vehicles has drop significantly.

I don't blame GM, I feel that they held as much as they could given the economical circumstances.

I have been hearing about their woes for over ten years, and it has escalated.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
I would hate to be the people who losing their job. I'm glad I don't have stock in them right now.

Actually GM's stock will most likely rise because of this. It is a sign to stockholders that GM is willing to do something to help out the bottom line.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Well, as a GM retiree, let me put in my two cents.
In the 1970's and before, GM was a Leader, Powerful and Dynamic. This was the time when it was said that "What's good for GM is good for the country."
In the 1980's something shifted. Yes, the company was still huge, but they "ran with the pack", not such a leader anymore.
In the 1990's they were struggling to find their way. It was like they were lost without a roadmap, and everybody wanted to go their own way.
In the 2000's reality is setting in. A combination of, among other things, the Economy, Corporate short-sightedness, and Unions is exposing vulnerability.
The Union has given concessions in the past, only to see experienced Management Personnel cast aside and replaced by College Grads who lack the needed experience for their jobs. As a former Assembly Line worker, I can tell you that this weakens worker morale. This adds to the downward spiral.
I am not sure what the answer is, but I suspect that respected, experienced leadership is needed and sorely lacking. It is good to see that not all of the experienced personnel are gone, but will those who remain be enough to do the needed things? Will they be in the position to do whatever they must?

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
well if the unions are holding GM to ransome they have two options.
1 They can play hard ball sack any workers that go on strike for not showing up to work.
2 Move the factoryies to China. China would offer cheape labour and no union troubles. I have to question if cheape labour that China would supply would have the skill level needed having said that we buy crap that is made in china all the time.

Im not sure what option I would choose.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
ah! GM

isnt this the comapny in 4 trillion billion quadrazillion dollars of debt?

a nice investment for sure

top topics

join