It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officer runs from downed partner....why???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
NY Times Article

2 officers pulled over a car that was observed purchasing some marijuana. The police chased the car, and the driver shot the officer upon approaching the vehicle.Tthen got out and fired again as the downed officer emptied his magazine. The assailant escaped and was later found dead from a self inflicted wound. He was shot in the arm and hip by the officer. The second officer hid behind a car half a block away till a police van arrived, never firing a shot....

In the ranks of the department, the charge that a police officer deserted a partner under fire is among the most serious accusations that can be leveled. But several officials could not recall a case in which an officer's questionable behavior was caught on video.

Now, either this was a planned hit gone wrong, or the NYPD need to look at who is on the street.

Edit: Fixed link.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
well, i think he was just afraid of the gunman, maybe he didnt apply for the job to actually fight crime, maybe just to do all the little jobs- tickets and stuff
im not sure though

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
It is difficult to discern from the several descriptions of this incident I've seen (both here and elsewhere).......just what occurred.
If the officer fled and in fact deserted his downed fellow officer, that action is despicable. The NYPD is not an organization that will tolerate such an action. My Dad was a cop for 40 years in that city and I'm well aware of the close bond that knits together this find band of public servants.
However it is also just possible that the fleeing (retreating?) officer was unaware of the predicament in which the wounded officer found himself. They were I believe each on opposite sides of the suspects vehicle when the shooting began. Before condemning the fleeing officer, fuller information should come out. I strongly urge such caution because I know what villication this individual will suffer should it turn out that he in fact deserted his buddy.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Falling back and taking cover are both logical tactics when under fire. According to the article, Officer Marrero, remained hidden until backup arrived. Even this would seem to be proper procedure under certain circumstances. What seems amiss here is that Officer Marrero's partner was wounded and the perp had left the area and he still remained under cover until backup arrived.

It really doesn't look good for Officer Marrero.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I don't want swine like that "protecting" my streets.

I didn't catch it in the paper, but I hope people see it. People in a position of that magnitude and responsibility have to have integrity, and when they don't things happen. You don't mess around in that situation.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
i cannot understand this behavior. what in the hell happened. i dont believe he didn't know what happened to his partner. dont they have radio or some type of communication between each other? wouldn't he have been able to see or hear that something wasn't right, especially after hearing no communication from his partner? and as stated above after the perp took off what type of person could still stay hidden and not even run to his partners side? he needs to be kicked off the force before he GOES THROUGH MORE PARTNERS.

[edit on 6/22/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

new topics

top topics

join