It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing your Social Security Number on checks, How safe is it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I live on a Navy Base on a small island in the middle of nowhere. There are no ATMs, so the only way to pay for anything is to go to the bank and get cash, or write a check. I work 12-hour midnight shifts, and going to the bank is a huge pain. I find it easier to write checks. One of the pieces of info you have to put on the check is your Social Security Number. Since identity theft is a big problem these days, how safe is it? Or is it just as safe as giving your credit card info to the sales clerk. I mean, they could take your credit card info and go home and clean you out! Should I just suffer the inconvenience and go to the bank and get cash, just to be one the safe side? Or I'm I being paranoid about writing my SSN on a check?

EDIT: I forgot to add that the store's here doesn't take debit or credit cards, cash or checks only!

[edit on 7-6-2005 by curme]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Well, I for one would never put my SSN on my checks. You are giving out all the information for someone to open up a "online payment" facility from your account (your name, bank routing no., a/c no. and SSN). And as of date identity theft is not a priority crime for the law enforcement.

When you hand over your credit card to the cashier and s/he swipes it, MOST of the times the receipt has only the last 4 digits of your credit card no. Unless the cashier has a photographic memory, you are safe. Also most credit cards offer you free fraud protection and you are just liable for $50 if you report the fraud within 60 days.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Quake]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I've never heard of putting your SSN on checks. Usually, it's just your Driver's License....

Personally, I just use checks to mail in bills....I can't stand them.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
The banks do offer to put your SSN on the checks (ummm....no thanks). Personally, I never needed to put my SSN to use them.

On a side note, does having your SSN on your drivers license hurt?

top topics

join