It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vampire Motherland?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
because of movies like van helsing and others, to some it seems as if vampires come from london (just like every other mythical beast, it seems). but i feel like ive heard (not in a movie, more like a website) that vampires originate from germany. im not saying i believe in vampires, but i was just wondering. what do you think?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by bubble boy
because of movies like van helsing and others, to some it seems as if vampires come from london (just like every other mythical beast, it seems). but i feel like ive heard (not in a movie, more like a website) that vampires originate from germany. im not saying i believe in vampires, but i was just wondering. what do you think?

Old movies..and the original book Dracula written by Bram Stoker...suggests that Vampires originate from the area of Transylvania in the country of Romania!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Erm, I suggest you watch Van Helsing again, its pritty clear that vampires come from Transylvania in that movie too.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Actually, there are MANY different cultures with their own version of the origin of vampires folklore.

Carribean Islands
Egypt
Germany
Romania
Austria
Turkey
Greece
Croatia
Hungary
Yugoslavia
Serbia
Estonia
Russia

I guess it just depends on which bedtime story you like the best.

Ethymology
The word 'vampire' derives from the Slavic word 'vampir' or 'vampyr', first appearing in the 1600s in the Eastern European region in the Balkans.

'vampir' is derived from 'upir', which first appeared in print in an Old Russian manuscript from 1047 AC in which a Novgorodian prince is referred to as 'Upir Lichyj' (Wicked Vampire).

But the origin of 'upir' is even more controversial. Franz Miklosich suggested that 'upir' is derived from 'uber', a Turkish word for 'witch' whereas Andre Vaillant suggests just the opposite. Kazimierz Moszynski suggests that 'u-pir' is from a Serbo-Croatian word 'pirati' (to blow). Aleksandr Afanasev points to the Slavic 'pij' (to drink), which may have entered the Slavic language from the Greek, via Old Church Slavonic. A. Bruckner proposes Russian 'netopyr' (bat).
vampires.monstrous.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Actually, there are MANY different cultures with their own version of the origin of vampires folklore.

Yup yup. Even though you are probably only familiar with the classical western vampire. It is true that just about every country has a story about a vampire like creature.

I know this does not help identify a motherland, but thats the way it goes sometimes.

Vampire Origins

A Timeline of Significant Events in Vampire History

Universal Vampire

google vampire history

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Most of the Slavic countries are the home to the old, more familiar versions of vampires and werewolves, etc.

Of course, these are also the same regions that had intense flooding of wheat crops, on which a hallucinigenic mold grew, during the same time period, so draw your own conclusions...
Basically they were all eating PCP bread, hehe... No wonder they saw monsters.

I think most vampire legends grew from an inability to understand the processes of death. Corpses still grow fingernails (claws), sometimes get flushed with blood and expel it through openings (so on the lips, etc), and gasses expand the body (making it seem "full"). It's doubtful that the common man knew the processes behind these "symptoms" and when there is an unknown, man comes up with his own explanation (often the wrong one). So, when faced with a corpse that still mimics life, has blood on it's lips, and seems bloated, obviously it must be coming back and feeding on the blood of the living! Egads! Kill it again!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wouldn't this be more of a topic for Cryptology?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I know this really does'nt have to do with there motherland, but;

Maybe vampires, atleast what we percieve them to be, were origonaly a creature that inhabited most of the world.

Perhaps even, dare I say, Chupacobra.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:00 AM
link   
What a great name for a Death Metal group - VAMPIRE MOTHERLAND.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Don't forget about Japanese Vampire mythology, they have a number of beasts that could be akin to Vampires ...

Gaki: Walining corpses who thirst for blood. They have the traditional pale skin, hollow features and lack of body temperature. They have spectacular shapeshifting abilities and can change into not only animals, but also look like other humans. They can even impersonate a living person.

from watcherszone.deadtime.net...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Every religion, race, culture has their own different stories about vampires abd how they became known.......truthfully I don't believe in any of it, yes it's fun to listen to their STORIES, but it would be even more fun if they were REAL!!!

Originally posted by iori_komei
Maybe vampires, atleast what we percieve them to be, were origonaly a creature that inhabited most of the world.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'm just saying, that it is likely that once something could of existed, though I dont believe in the vampires like what we percieve today, its like the saying, "In every legend there is a shred of truth".

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
With all the unsolved, unexplained, murders and mysteries in the world it would make sense that many beasts deemed mythical are actually real. I mean really,....... who decided it was myth??

Anything is possible

new topics

top topics

join