It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK channel 4 Guantanamo Bay documentary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Hi all i'm brand new here, i've just spend a week reading all the valueable info in this site. big thumbs up from me

Last weekend my local TV station aired the UK's channel 4 "Guantanamo Handbook" documentary. I don't know if it has aired in the USA yet, i know it's been on UK television recently.

Two people vomited, two wet their pants, another suffered signs of hypothermia — all for the cameras — after volunteering to spend 48 hours locked up in cages and subjected to sexual humiliation, forced nudity and sleep deprivation allegedly like prisoners at Guantanamo Bay.

The show's producers say they have recreated some of the milder forms of alleged abuse they say were used at the U.S. Navy base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

I was wonderign how many of you have seen this, and if you were as repulsed about it as I was.

here's some info about it www.sundayherald.com...

*Sorry if i made spelling errors, English is not my first language.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by XyZeR]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
That's an inflammatory show, for sure.

From what I've read via Amnesty International, the media on both sides of the world and various sources inbetween, I'm pretty sure that what's happening to some (many? most?) Gitmo detainees would be classed as nothing less than horrifying, to most of us.

Having said that, the show is obviously not altogether objective, either - and it's being shown to generate outrage and shock. Not that these are bad things, but it needs to be considered.

Needless to say, nothing like this should be happening. At all. But I'm not sure polarising the audience with such an obvious "shock and awe" attempt is going to do much good, either.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Ok this sounds alot like boot camp to me. I read the artiticle and the only thing I can ask is were did the info that this news station obtained come from? I can say that unless they have been there they really can't talk about what is happening to those terrorists.

In the article it says declassified documents and leaked memos, and a bunch of other stuff but really who wrote them what country declassified something that would incriminate them? Really I can't beleive this propaganda stuff from the liberals or amnesty. I want pictures, videos anything that shows this actually happening. I don't trust a complete strangers word until they can prove it.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
To be fair, some of the information came from the lawyers representing certain Brits who are/were detained in Gitmo. They in turn were told of the conditions by their clients - the detainees themselves.

That's about as much proof as you can have, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Still what if those guys are terrorists and now they're planning a propaganda war. And they lied about all that stuff just to get people to protest or get angry at the US for the detainees and try to get them released to go fight for their jihad.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
To be fair, some of the information came from the lawyers representing certain Brits who are/were detained in Gitmo. They in turn were told of the conditions by their clients - the detainees themselves.

That's about as much proof as you can have, isn't it?

I dont claim to know what happens there, but if this whole story is based on some guys who were detained there for suspeceted terrorist ties then they are biased.

You drive down to your local prison and start asking inmates if they are guilty or innocent, and ask them how they are treated. How many will tell you: "Im 100% guilty and this place is like Disneyland..." Answer is almost none.

I wouldnt trust anything any of these detainies say. And I am a skeptic!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I read the artiticle and the only thing I can ask is were did the info that this news station obtained come from? I can say that unless they have been there they really can't talk about what is happening to those terrorists.

I can't say the documentary is completly objective. Then again which documentary is ?

British Channel 4 engaged the Team Delta Cadre to recreate the Guantanamo Bay interrogation experience. They used various witnesses and the rules of engagement approved by Secretary of State Rumsfeld for Guantanamo Bay.

cageprisoners.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
it has to be really realistic, for the guards have to be American and that they are military, the detainees have to be those who have committed violence and that they are Muslims, they also must have Korans and blankets, the area should be near the Equator. because Gitmo is warm. also they have to spend 4 years in there to make it really real. thats how a documentary works. and they should stay there until America has disbanned the Gitmo prison camp. that should take a couple of decades, if these guys are dedicated to helping prisoners being release then they should stay in this mock up prison till the prisoners in the real Gitmo is release. it makes it more real u know.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by demosthenes
Still what if those guys are terrorists and now they're planning a propaganda war. And they lied about all that stuff just to get people to protest or get angry at the US for the detainees and try to get them released to go fight for their jihad.

And what if they're innocent?

Most haven't even been charged with a crime, let alone convicted.

Does that make it "ok" to abuse them, or treat them as anything less than human?

Your analogy doesn't work - prisoners in the US prison system are arrested and charged, with "reasonable cause" (generally). Nothing like that has happened to the detainees.

new topics

top topics

join