It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 guys? - I'm a Commie, how do people feel about Communism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Who can name the 5 guys in my Avatar?

[edit on 7-6-2005 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
members of beard and moustache united?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Nah, they are more important than those people...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Guevera, and.... maybe Engels?

lol, lysector.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Marx, Lenin, Trotsky, Guevera, and.... maybe Engels?

Correct... hmmm, I was kinda hoping it would take a little longer to figure out... But thats cool that you did it parrhesia, what do you feel about those people and their political orientations?

Marx
Engels
Lenin
Trotsky
Guevara

Am I the only Commie here?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Communism sucks. You know how much my family and people had to suffer under Marshal Tito? You would be thrown in jail if you said anything bad against the govt. The prisons there were terrible. They would give you rotted meat to eat. They would evan throw ppl in jail for going to church. 1/3 of the croatian priests were murdered. They through my mom and grandma in jail when they tried to escape. Communism is an oppressive form of govt that will never work

[edit on 6/7/2005 by Croat56]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Communisum only works if there is no corruption. Sadly no one has been able to find out if it is really true. Democracy on the other hand, Is good becasue it limits and prevents corruption... too bad many countries are federal republics, and not democracies.

may I ask why you like communisum, ghostsoldier?

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 01:29 AM
link   
For a citizen I dont think communism is any good, but for a leader I think communism would be better than democracy. When I play the strategy game Civilization, I always choose to rule by communism since everybody is working for you and you can do anything you want without any protests, and you dont have to worry about any opposition. Having said that, im glad communism has died out.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Communisum only works if there is no corruption. Sadly no one has been able to find out if it is really true.

Yeah when i studied history- we were studying China, and it sounded like communism started as a nice idea- but like you have said their is too much corruption.
But in reality it just doesnt work...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
As long as humans are in charge there will be corruption.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by croatianguy
For a citizen I dont think communism is any good, but for a leader I think communism would be better than democracy.

Actually, on paper at least, communism is great for everyone once you get past the whole idea of working for everyone instead of just yourself. I'm going off of a very bad memory of what I learned in a Poli Sci or History class a few years ago, so I may well be wrong, but in Communisim everything you do goes towards the government and the government shells it back out in the basic needs for society. If I'm not mistaken, in "perfect" communism, there isn't even a need for money; everything you need or want is essentially free, and everything you do is for the advancement of the community as a whole instead of for your own good. Also if I'm not mistaken, eventually there isn't even a government per se; everyone is working towards the "common good" if you will and needs no leaders. (I'm really iffy on that reasoning, but I do remember the government is eventually supposed to back out of all affairs if I don't remember why.)

Again, if I remember correctly, there's various stages that Marx spelled out for communism. First off, there needs to be a revolution to overthrow the current regime. Then there's a period of dictatorship required to force the people to work together as a whole instead of as individuals. This is where the public eye generally sees communism, and this is where all of the current examples of communism have stopped, at the dictatorship. But theoretically, during the dictatorship, the economy is to undergo a transition to the communist ideal, as is the government control. After the necessary time it takes for this, the dictator steps down and Presto! you have a Utopia (in Marx's eyes anyways.)

Unfortunately, I personally think we'll never see the communist ideal ever realized. In my experience, people--myself most definitely included--are too self-centered to work without any kind of personal incentive. And we're also rather power hungry in general. As soon as someone becomes a dictator, they forget their other goals and just want to run the show. The whole absolute-power-corrupts-absolutely syndrome.

I'm sorry for what your family went through Croat, but try to keep in mind that's not what communism is supposed to be like, that's just the way it normally ends up. There is a big difference between the communist ideal and the way it's been realized in action.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. Hope it made things clearer than they might have been.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
"How do you feel about communism?"

Ok, but remember that you asked...

The biggest flaw in communism is the incorrect assumption that humans actually are created equal and that the work they do or what they contribute to society is equal as well. They (we) are not, although it satisfies our sense of ethics and fairness to act like we think all are equal.

If I am capable of working harder, better, or longer than the next person down, but am not rewarded in any way for that, then it is not to my benefit to continue out-producing that person if they get an equal share, even if they didn't do equal work. This is why production in a communist society is only as good as the least capable worker involved. The producers always end up carrying the non-producers and will eventually resent it, while never getting rewarded for it.

Human nature and animal nature as well, are all formed off of cause and effect, action and reward, from the day almost any living creature leaves the womb, egg, or whatever. To try to govern (i.e.: organize) humans with a system that does not take the natural competitive and power-seeking nature of humans into account is not only foolish and futile, but it's also dangerous, as we've seen with the failed or failing communist states in existence now.

Communism is contrary to human nature.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Communism is contrary to human nature.

Exactly, and the communist ideal will never be realized because of that. Everyone wants their own reward for the work they do and to hell with everyone else. And as humans are at the moment, maybe it's better that communism fails all the time. Nobody would ever try to better themselves. I mean, how many people do you know who are going to college just because they want to learn more versus how many are going so they can get a better job?

No, as far as performing tasks goes, we're not created equal. Far from it. But just because I'm standing on a factory line next to you and you're out pacing me does not necessarily mean I'm worth less to society than you. I may just not be that great at putting together those widgets, but if you put me in a kitchen or something I might make you look like you're standing still (that's just an example--I burn water, cooking is definitely not my forte.)

IMO, it's rather unfortunate that we're so competitive. I truly think this world would be a much better place if we weren't always trying to be better than the next guy and just trying to be better than what we were yesterday. But I really don't see that happening anytime in the near--or even distant--future.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by misspickle

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Communisum only works if there is no corruption. Sadly no one has been able to find out if it is really true.

Yeah when i studied history- we were studying China, and it sounded like communism started as a nice idea- but like you have said their is too much corruption.
But in reality it just doesnt work...

Do you like...secretly go to my school or something? We're studying China...well my group did a class teaching on it, and the other groups did other countries.

Now we're watching a movie about China

Your right tho, Communism started off as a good idea I think, the government owning all buinesses, treating everyone as equals...but then there was corruption and it became a bad thing...couldn't say your opinion on it without being killed...

All depends on how you see it...some Chinese think of communism as a good thing...others dont...

I dont really like it but thats my opinion

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reikuro

Do you like...secretly go to my school or something? We're studying China...well my group did a class teaching on it, and the other groups did other countries.

I dont really like it but thats my opinion

lol i doubt it- the whole of britains teaching system is the same- you in yr 10? if so in yr11 you will be doing the american west- which is pretty good!

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
You have 2 types of communism. You have the old russian type with rule of an iron fist, then you have the type that everyone wants...a kibbutz in israel. Look up how those operate. An old GF of mine wound up on one for almost a year. She loved it.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by misspickle
lol i doubt it- the whole of britains teaching system is the same- you in yr 10? if so in yr11 you will be doing the american west- which is pretty good!

Depends on the school:

In years 10 and 11 I did:

- The sixties
- Jack the Ripper
- WW1 and WW2
- Korea
- Vietnam
- Cold War (including Cuban missle crisis)
- Russia (the start of communism)

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
This is where the public eye generally sees communism, and this is where all of the current examples of communism have stopped, at the dictatorship.

Yeah, I agree.

What we had were all communist dictatorships that never transitioned into Utopia.

A communist utopia would be something like Star Trek society ( trekkie here
), where people work for the benefit of society.

I disagree with what some said, that Utopia is contrary to human nature. It is only contrary to the society we have now and it is contrary to what we are taught in life.
We are all born with a blank mind. The concept of competition, earning money, is taught, not inherited. In our society it is neccessary, the competitive spirit is what motivates us to be better and to achieve more... and also it is what keeps us alive, what brings food on the table.

I think that the desire to learn, to create, IS human nature, we are the ones that choose WHY we learn, why we create, why we achieve more.

Are we ever going to live in Utopia?
hmmm
Who knows....
From all we can read about Jesus, he is a true communist ( an anti-materialistic altruist working for benefit of others ), so upon his return he might create the Utopia for us

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Communism is, like all systems, flawed. But Communism can work but it would take a profound change in basic human nature. If everyone involved in communism can actually put aside their basic personal desires and work for the state or the common good, well, it could work but that would require an evolutionary leap. Perhaps communism is the system that they use in the Star Trek's Federation.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Society should begin to move toward systems like The Venus Project.

new topics

top topics

join