It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with a hacker?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Um yeah I'm a moderator over on another forum and a guy who hacked us earlier this year is back. Anyhow the problem is he's practically holding the forum hostage, stating that if we mention his last hacking he'll delete our forum.

Ok the problem is he's not posting under my juristiction so I can't get his IP, the guy that moderates that forum is gone and the administrator is on vacation.

So I was wondering if anybody here has any advice on how to deal with a hacker situation like the one we're in?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Report it.

www.dhs.gov...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I hate people like that, but all i can say is HACK the planet. - A quote from the movie HACKERS.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, what's the site?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Um yeah I'm a moderator over on another forum and a guy who hacked us earlier this year is back. Anyhow the problem is he's practically holding the forum hostage, stating that if we mention his last hacking he'll delete our forum.

Ok the problem is he's not posting under my juristiction so I can't get his IP, the guy that moderates that forum is gone and the administrator is on vacation.

So I was wondering if anybody here has any advice on how to deal with a hacker situation like the one we're in?

I would backup the forum and let him go at it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Tell him your IP is 127.0.0.1 and he'll go away for a while.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   
How exactly is he holding you hostage? Has he rooted the box that your server is running off or what?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
If you've got the ability to backup the database and forums code, do it though I get the feeling as a moderator you dont have that kind of privileges. An important thing now is to collect as much information about the person as possible, every post, log, or other electronic scrap of information.

If it comes to handing info over to the authorities its much better to have a pile than none. As for turning in a simple forum hijacker to DHS, don't expect them to help you unfortunately, they only deal with threats to national security or where lives can be lost, so I doubt they are going to be all over this.

The best thing to do is get ahold of the administrator and/or anyone with that level of power on the server. Depending on the hosting setup they can block IP addresses or even entire ranges to keep this llama out.

top topics

join