It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

25% of americans mentally ill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

One-quarter of all Americans met the criteria for having a mental illness within the past year, and fully a quarter of those had a "serious" disorder that significantly disrupted their ability to function day to day, according to the largest and most detailed survey of the nation's mental health, published yesterday.

Although parallel studies in 27 other countries are not yet complete, the new numbers suggest that the United States is poised to rank No. 1 globally for mental illness, researchers said.

This is hot stuff. I suspect it's the 25% that vote Bush.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moretti

One-quarter of all Americans met the criteria for having a mental illness within the past year, and fully a quarter of those had a "serious" disorder that significantly disrupted their ability to function day to day, according to the largest and most detailed survey of the nation's mental health, published yesterday.

This is hot stuff. I suspect it's the 25% that vote Bush.

hahaha, I've know that for ages, hahaha... But it is interesting, I think a huge proportion of this 'mental-illness' could be attributed to the US media system, and the US governments mind-washing and all the other dirty tricks the government gets upto to make the populous more pliable...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Besides your reference to Bush voters, what does this have to do with US Politics. This post is nothing more than trolling.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Besides your reference to Bush voters, what does this have to do with US Politics. This post is nothing more than trolling.

The fact that you replied to this thread with basically one line of text - and almost no contribution to the topic - clearly idicates that it is you who is 'trolling', you are searching for points... How about reading the link he provided and discussing the actual issue raised...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for US Politics contributing to the mental illness in America... How about looking how the advertising in the Media and the Politics operates - it all operates on Fear, the fear of not being accepted... Now put this into context into the way the American populous reacted to the so called 'War on Terror'...

Politics and Mental Disease speak for themselves...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Statistical material being so dry, i thought i'd post some pictures to illustrate the topic :

MOD EDIT: Picture removal

[edit on 6/7/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
1.) I believe this survey to be complete B.S. What exactly are they using as Criteria!? I know far more than 8 people, FAR FAR more than 8 people in my life-time, and I can only really thing of 2 that are crazy, and only one of them that can't function well in society as a result of this. Funny how they don't mention what they use as criteria. And no, you can't take 9,000 out of 295,734,134 people, and say it represents our country. That's like (Roughly) taking 9 out of 295,734 people, surveying them, and saying that they represent the whole group.

2.) I know you're probably just joking, but it's dumb to suggest that the majority of these people are Bush supporters. Talk to any person considered "crazy" and "out-there" by society, and I'd bet they don't trust Bush....or any politician for that matter, but especially not Bush.

3.) No, this doesn't belong in politics. Why is it here?

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Herman]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Herman,

Originally posted by Herman
1.) I believe this survey to be complete B.S. What exactly are they using as Criteria!? I know far more than 8 people, FAR FAR more than 8 people in my life-time, and I can only really thing of 2 that are crazy, and only one of them that can't function well in society as a result of this. Funny how they don't mention what they use as criteria. And no, you can't take 9,000 out of 295,734,134 people, and say it represents our country. That's like (Roughly) taking 9 out of 295,734 people, surveying them, and saying that they represent the whole group.

What do you think polls are?

How do you think TV viewing figures are arrived at?

Do you not understand the concepts of statistics and averages?

Just because you have never met a mentally ill person does not mean the figures given are false. If they are right then it would mean that there should be approx. 73million mentally ill people in the US. Now what that means is that you could meet 221million US citizens without HAVING to meet a mentally ill one, since you could meet all those who are not classed as mentally ill. It still would make the figures correct.

As an aside have you considered that there is at least one more "crazy" in your group who is bringing the average up?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Of course we're all crazy, and we've all got our finger on the button so ya'll better start praying to whatever god you believe in real quick like because we're goin' to end your party soon! Mwahahaha!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
DJ,

Every new day is a bonus.

It has been since I was born.

Nothing lasts forever.

Enjoy life while you can.

Just some words I live by.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
We don't need any surveys to find that out :

In the past twelve hours, i got 23 "no:not right" and "no:bias" votes on this news submission : 100 new Abu Ghraib pictures and videos to be released of children and women raped , while it is being reported by the major newssources. Some people do live in a parallel universe.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Moretti,

As they say here in God's country, dinnae fret it laddie.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You usually get a lot of bias votes when you make statements and draw conclusions totally unsupported by your source article.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
The fact that you replied to this thread with basically one line of text - and almost no contribution to the topic - clearly idicates that it is you who is 'trolling', you are searching for points... How about reading the link he provided and discussing the actual issue raised...

Actually, GradyPhilpott is right. This thread was started by trolling... All the thread starter did was to post a segment of an article, and a link. Sure, there was a comment, but was it constructive? Nope, it was not! It was an out and out bash against those who voted for Bush, and entirely unnessecary.

Also, after reading the article, I have also failed to see the connection with politics.

Originally posted by Moretti
Statistical material being so dry, i thought i'd post some pictures to illustrate the topic :

I fail to see how those pictures did anything to "illustrate the topic." They're being removed.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules

What do you think polls are?

How do you think TV viewing figures are arrived at?

Do you not understand the concepts of statistics and averages?

Just because you have never met a mentally ill person does not mean the figures given are false. If they are right then it would mean that there should be approx. 73million mentally ill people in the US. Now what that means is that you could meet 221million US citizens without HAVING to meet a mentally ill one, since you could meet all those who are not classed as mentally ill. It still would make the figures correct.

As an aside have you considered that there is at least one more "crazy" in your group who is bringing the average up?

Cheers

BHR

I've never believed in polls. The opinion of our country can't be decided like that; it's just not accurate. There were polls that predicted Kerry winning the presidency... We all know how that one turned out.

You lectured me on not understanding the concept of statistics and averages. Yes, it is POSSIBLE for me to meet 221 million people who are mentally ill, but hypothetically saying the figures are correct here, that would be the most possible people you could meet without meeting one who's mentally ill. 25% implies 1 out of 4 people are mentally ill. If these statistics were correct, it would mean that roughtly 1 out of every 4 people we see or meet would be mentally ill; 1 out of 8 being unable to function out of society. Does this sound right to you? I know we're probably both a little rusty in our math, so I'll give an easier example:

There are 100 jelly beans in a jar. 25% of these jelly beans are black, and the rest are white. If you completely mix them up, close your eyes, and make random selections, what is the probability of you drawing a black jelly bean?

One out of four; you would not keep choosing white ones until all that are left are a bunch of black ones. Do you see what I mean here?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have no doubt this survey is true, although I don't agree with the original posters cheap shot about republican voters. I'd even venture out to say that it's an even higher percentage in this country because schizophrenia, autism, and some other severe and relatively common disorders were not included.

“The survey focused on four major categories of mental illness: anxiety disorders (such as panic and post-traumatic stress disorders); mood disorders (such as major depression and bipolar disease); impulse control disorders (such as attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder); and substance abuse.”

I think you may be surprised as to how many people in the United States are prescribed anti-depressants as well as stimulants (for ADD/ADHD). Depression seems to be linked in families, making it somewhat of a genetic issue, but I think "nurture" plays a role as well.

The United States is a non-collectivist nation, even with all the social welfare programs we are still a strong "do it yourself" nation. I do believe that this contributes to high levels of depression.

That said, it's still not as simple...even though I do believe depression and ADD/ADHD to be disorders to be taken seriously. I feel as it is often misdiagnosed and drugs are too often prescribed. I believe that many doctors are unfortunately $$ driven, as well as our society wanting a quick fix to everything. The way our society works promotes that ideal. Keep in mind I am not knocking psychiatric drugs AT ALL, they have successfully helped millions...but why is depression so prevalent in this country and not so much in other nations?

[edit on 6/7/2005 by Lecky]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Herman,

I know we're probably both a little rusty in our math, so I'll give an easier example:

There are 100 jelly beans in a jar. 25% of these jelly beans are black, and the rest are white. If you completely mix them up, close your eyes, and make random selections, what is the probability of you drawing a black jelly bean?

One out of four; you would not keep choosing white ones until all that are left are a bunch of black ones. Do you see what I mean here?

I think your maths is a bit rustier than you think.

Using your bean analogy what it the minimum number of beans you need to draw out to guarantee a black bean?

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Herman,

I know we're probably both a little rusty in our math, so I'll give an easier example:

Using your bean analogy what it the minimum number of beans you need to draw out to guarantee a black bean?

Cheers

BHR

Well, technically you could get a black bean on the first try. The minimum number you would need to draw before you can 100% GUARANTEE a black bean would be 76. But I've already brought that up... It's would be very unlikely that would draw 76 before getting a black bean. Chances are, if they were completely mixed up, roughtly one in four would be black.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Percentages and data can be fabricated.

There is no such thing as "mental illness," it is not a illness, nor a condition, it is completely natural. The only thing that separates my brain from the brain of a "mentally ill" person, is that my thoghts are in a format that can be comprehended by most people who i communicate with.

You know those times when you are trying to explain something to a friend and you just cannot get them to "see it" or understand your idea? Now imagine if nobody was able to understand you. Every time you tried to communicate with them through what you saw as a logical pattern, they would look at you funny or walk away. This is how it is for a "mentally ill" person.

They are prescribed drugs in order to alter thier mindstate (as somebody who does drugs would do to alter thier mindstate) to some thought pattern that matches up with so-called, "normal behavior."

The things that define "mental ilness" are societal norms, and certain behavioral restrictions that we live with everyday. This "civilized" behavior separates us from a "mentally ill" person, because they don't act like we do, and there is nothing we can do...

The truth is that scientists know very little about how the brain actually works, and how to treat it in the event of abnormality. It is simply that SCIENCE cannot UNDERSTAND ot EXPLAIN the condition these people have. Therefore they all are admitted to mental institutions in order the get help. The rarely recieve help, and in fact certain anti-progressive methods such as shock therapy toe achieve results. That would be like giving your computer an electrical jolt, in order to solve an error in the O.S. not a good idea!

The current medical system leaves these people in these institutions to rot, and be imprisoned within thier bodies, unable to communicate with anyone. Constantly drugged up to keep them leveld out, and given tests and "treatments" that do them no good.

so what can explain this "mental illness" percentage?

1.) over diagnosis. Many kids in elementary school are documented as having ADD/ADHD (which is the biggest load of crap in the world i might add)

www.adhd-report.com...

bevkprice.com...

www.healingwithnutrition.com...

This "disease" could be nothing more than kids who are hocked up on sugar, from...i don't know...maybe the vending machines in thier school? With tons of junk food in constant supply, is it not possible that these are just energetic children, being kids? Is it not true that diet affects mood and energy? Parents are so quick to look for a soultion for the problem of distraction in the classroom, that they turn to ritalin, and aderol, in stead of chosing to parent thier children.

2.) Drugs are one of the leading precursors to people who are prone to "mental ilness." Hallucinagenic drugs can contribute to the onset of scizophrenia, and in some cases be responsible for deviation from a normal mental state.

www.schizophrenia.com...

www.mentalhealthchannel.net...

Drugs are a mojor problem in our country. Legal and illega,l who really knows what that does to your body? Starting with illegal drugs. Illegal drugs have a large market in this country, therefore the drug related schizophrenia and certain other illnesses like depression or bipolar, etc. are more frequently documented. It goes without saying that this will forever be a problem, due to the fact that drugs are probably not going anywhere for a while. Secondly, Legal drus are so overprescribed, and overused that it is contributing to conditions that never existed before.

The new commercials saying "ask your doctor about BLANK" or "maybe BLANK is right for you" are killing our society, and stuffing the drug company's pockets with money. These commercials ask things like "do you feel depressed for one or more hours a day..." then it is usually follwed by something like..."this feeling is NOT normal" when in actuality it is natural to feel depressed sometimes. Maybe for a day, or a week. That is how life is sometimes. Instead these people upset their chemical balance even more by putting drugs into an already delicate situation.

3.) The Atkins diet. People who chose to remove all sugars from thier diet are destined for bad things...Anytime there is a major change in the diet the body undergoes a "shock" and has to adjust. If sugars are removed, your moods, metabolism, and chemical balance will be affected. Removing sugars can create moodiness and grogginess, as well as very suggestable people.

patrifriedman.com...

"The body must also break down its own muscle tissue to provide the brain and red blood cells with glucose, a required nutrient," Cox says. "Muscle tissue holds water, and when lost, results in a significant amount of weight loss."

4.) Social mistreatment. Problems also arise due to developmental issues, as well as abuse, and problems during pregnancy. These are the most common and unexplainable of the cases.

So why are 25% of americans "mentally ill?" What the heck is "mentally ill?" Truth is we don't know enough about "mental ilness" to relly understand why and what. I give no credit to modern psychology and psychaiatry. I have only seen them do harm, and no good.

[edit on 8-6-2005 by Eyeofhorus]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Herman,

Herman,

Cheers

BHR

Well, technically you could get a black bean on the first try. The minimum number you would need to draw before you can 100% GUARANTEE a black bean would be 76. But I've already brought that up... It's would be very unlikely that would draw 76 before getting a black bean. Chances are, if they were completely mixed up, roughtly one in four would be black.

Well done, what you have just shown is the relationship between real life and statistics.

Statistics only show probability not actuality.

Try not to confuse the two.

Just because statistics say that one in four Americans are a certain way does not work out to the actuality that if you have just passed 3 Americans who were not that certain way then the next one has to be.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Herman,

Herman,

Cheers

BHR

Well done, what you have just shown is the relationship between real life and statistics.

Statistics only show probability not actuality.

Try not to confuse the two.

Just because statistics say that one in four Americans are a certain way does not work out to the actuality that if you have just passed 3 Americans who were not that certain way then the next one has to be.

Cheers

BHR

No... I said roughly one in four would be black haha. If 25% of Americans were indeed mentally ill, chances are after knowing at least a couple hundred people (I'm horrible with guessing numbers like this by the way), I'd have known more than a couple that were mentally ill. Only like 1 or 2% of the people I've known are mentally ill. That's what I was getting at.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join