It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome Mothership/Lens Cloud

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I've been an avid storm watcher since I saw my first tornado at 4.

From time to time I come across some really neato photos online.

Some of my favorites storm photos are of awesome cloud formations called lens clouds. These clouds look like gigantic motherships coming down from the heavens.

I came across this image on CNN.COM today and thought I'd share:

Enjoy!

-O

[edit on 6-6-2005 by The Big O]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Thanks! Amazing what mother nature can do!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
That is an absolutely beautiful photo! I am always amazed at the power and beauty of storms. That cloud is just perfect.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
thats an awesome photo

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Actually the proper term is lenticular cloud. Uncommon, but not exactly rare... Truly beautiful to see them in real life though....

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Damn! Thats one Big Scary Cloud!

If you see it, Mother Nature is trying to tell you - RUN YOU FOOL!

Ofcourse before you run, take a photo....

Awesome!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Actually the proper term is lenticular cloud. Uncommon, but not exactly rare... Truly beautiful to see them in real life though....

That's not a lenticular cloud.
It's called a mesocyclone. If you see one, take cover as a tornado is more than likely to form.

Lenticular clouds are associated with higher elevations, not storms.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Is this the formation of a tornado? I dont think I ever seen anything quiet like it.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsr5
Is this the formation of a tornado? I dont think I ever seen anything quiet like it.

Yes and no.
Mesocyclones are associated with supercell thunderstorms. When the wall cloud forms like that, it's usually rotating and an indication a tornado might be about to form. If a tornado doesn't form, you're still going to get high winds and hail.
Here's a mesocyclone with a tornado:

Tornados usually have a mind of their own however, and don't always form under the wall cloud.

(time to move to fragile earth?)

[edit on 7-6-2005 by ThatsJustWeird]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

That's not a lenticular cloud.
It's called a mesocyclone. If you see one, take cover as a tornado is more than likely to form.

From the first photo (in which a portion only was seen), it certainly had all the earmarks of a lenticular cloud, often generating UFO reports...
With the bigger picture, I'd agree with a mesocyclone...(I suppose the darker coloring should have given it away, but I've got a DARK monitor here at work, hehe...)

Lenticular....(for reference)...courtesy of another member...(different thread)

external image

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Gazrok]

(edit to shrink the 2nd image for you Gaz
)

[edit on 7-6-2005 by pantha]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is a lenticular cloud. A mesocyclone, otherwise known as a wall cloud, is what the vast majority of funnel clouds spawn from.

Although on occasion a mesocyclone may look like a lenticular cloud, they have vastly different atmospheric compounds.

The cloud from my picture had no cyclonic activity, it was just an amazing sight.

Thanks for the other pictures guys and gals! They were great. I really wish we had an atmospheric anomolies forum on here.

-O

posted on May, 19 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   

top topics

join