It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Recruiting 6 to 10 Year Olds

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Ever hear of the group called the "young marines"? It is like the Hitler Youth, but done in America.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Class Warfare

Speaking anecdotally, and purely from my own subjective point of view, my summary of the “anti-military” mentality expressed in this case -- and others like it -- is as follows:

It is horror and outrage at the idea that one's precious child might become a soldier instead of a doctor or lawyer.

That's a job for somebody else's child.

In other words, it is an expression of elitism and social irresponsibility, and open contempt for those who value service over self.

It is a product of sheltered living and a calloused disregard for the sacrifices of others to provide that shelter.

I will afford those who hold this craven and contemptible point of view no more respect than they deserve -- which is very little.

And that's why it's ironic when Mike Moore tries to recruit the son's of Senators that voted for the war outside the legislature, but this is not. It's patently stupid and confrontational.

Unless the recruiters just think they were having an "off day" when the parental insurgency started and Téa Leoni, Jon Stewart and Sean Penn will "get right on that" as far as breeding the next generation of soldiers goes, this is just a prolonged, pointless FU in the most liberal, anti-war neighborhood on the planet.

Way to get those recruitment numbers up boys.

[edit on 8-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
They're not really the much similar at all...

The Young Marines is not a recruiting force for the U.S. Marine Corps... meanwhile hitler youth was used to recruit for the Sturmabteilung.

I know of 2 kids that are young marines through my brother (who is a marine.) The kids are 11, and 14... they learn everything from general leadership skills to rock climbing. From what I've seen it's like boyscouts, and super light weight ROTC combined.

The hitler youth also became an auxillary force that could, and did perform war duties (they worked in fire brigades in bombed cities, and served among anti aircraft defense crews)... kids in young marines will never see combat during their time as a "young marine"...

Infact young marine "bootcamp" generally totals 26 hours long, over the span of a couple meetings. During this time, they learn nothing of combat skills training, or weapon instruction. The "bootcamp" is also not one of those "scared straight" programs for troubled kids.

Young marines are not required to join the marine corps.

I feel YMs has alot to offer kids (just like the boyscouts, and rotc does). It improves self confidence, leadership qualities, team work skills, as well as alot of other things. It also makes you eligable for small scholarshipsm towards college.

The only benefit YM has that carries over to the real marine corps is; if you make it to seargent in YM, you are advanced to private first class after completing real military boot camp.

Young marines, like Hitler Youth???

If you say so...

[edit on 6/8/05 by microcosm]

[edit on 6/8/05 by microcosm]

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Ever hear of the group called the "young marines"? It is like the Hitler Youth, but done in America.

LOL

Young Marines is JROTC but with a Marine Corps bent.

There's also the Marine Corps Athletic Program. Schools that participate get to send their kids to San Diego Recruit Depot for an annual competition.

Toys for Tots is a Marine Reserve Program that gathers toys for needy children. We also have the Marine Corps Marathon.

It's just normal outreach programs.

About 'pushing' Army pins and military recruiting paraphenalia on kids, you don't have to. Kids love that stuff. Soldiers in uniform are like Santa Claus and Superman combined to kids. Ever think it just might brighten the kids day, instead of 'brainwashing?'

Talk to those recruiters, you'll find they're good role models for kids. They have bearing and manners.

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think that this is very inapropriate, I dont care what anyone says, the military has no right to do this kind of thing.

Its seems to me that the military has way to much freedom, I personaly dont think the military should have any rights, people who want to join can join, but advertising it is not right IMO.

I dont beleive in a military, if people would learn to put aside there differences and get rid of religion, we could all work together in peace,
and I dont believe any of that "Fighting and killing is part of our genes/DNA" bunk.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join