It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one question: why use pot to heal something???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Marijuana is one of the safest plants known to man...no chemical in it has ever been conclusively shown to have any harmful effects on the body, and has only shown to benefit people. Lung problems will of course arise from smoking anything to excess...but marijuana can be eaten or vaporized, thus eliminating the issue.

It has also been shown in studies that marijuana smoke is not as harmful as tobacco smoke, just because of the effects it has on lung capacity, etc. Studies have actually shown that smoking marijuana does not affect lung capacity unlike tobacco. One reason for this is that THC actually expands the lungs and throat, thus allowing a better airflow. Yes, marijuana does contain much more tar than tobacco when smoked...but tar is not very important, considering most people don't smoke pot that often, and when they do, they will usually smoke a lot less total material than tobacco smokers who chain smoke throughout the day. Another thing is, it has never been proven that smoking marijuana causes lung cancer. Lung cancer has ONLY been linked to smoking tobacco. It is possible that all of the extra dangerous chemicals added to tobacco by the companies could be the reason for the cancer and not the actual tobacco plant.

As far as medical use, marijuana is much safer than any prescription drug or over the counter drug I can think of. If you need a prescription for pain, you will be prescribed an opiate, which is extremely addictive, and people can overdose on many prescriptions, which is something that can't happen from smoking pot.

All drugs have benefits, as well as unwanted side effects. When the FDA approves a new drug, the main deciding factor, is if the benefits are good enough to outweigh the side effects by using the drug. In the case of marijuana, there are almost no side effects I can think of, other than the smoking problem...and that isn't necessary for administration of the drug. And the positive effects are great for lots of people.

Compare this valuable medicinal herb to the likes of alcohol and cigarettes...well, you can't. While they all produce some type of "high" in people, marijuana is the only one of the three that is not physically addictive, and has many uses as a medicine, fabric, etc. You may hear of people out drinking and having a good time, then someone has one too many shots and ends up dead from alcohol poisoning....well, if they had been smoking pot, they could smoke as much as they want and probably just get tired and fall asleep with no effects. Legalization is a must in our "free" society, and many people are missing out on valuable benefits from this drug, while slowly being killed by chemicals which destroy the body, thanks to pharmaceutical companies. You need to see why this issue is so appalling, and completely hypocritical on the part of the government.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
w0w...

i didn't know this...

your post makes me want to try it :shk:

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Nice answer Shoktek. I posted something similar that was supposed to be a reply but somehow came out as a new post(that's what I get for posting at work) Only mine wasn't nearly as elequent.

I do want to add one other point, and that is that the same year pot was made illegal in the US is the same year nylon was created and contract made with the gov. to provide rope.

OH! second point, and why can a doctor prescribe COCAINE for pain relief but not marijuana? when was the last time you saw a headline about a person high on pot killed someone?

new topics

<< 1   >>

join