It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

one question: why use pot to heal something???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
the question is simple enough:

why use pot to heal something in a human???

i mean, smoking has negative effects on you by itself, image what negative effects can come about while smoking pot

so, people smoke pot to heal something, then they get the negative effect of the pot???

i don't understand...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well from a cancer patients perspective, cancer isn't such a big issue now is it
But the debilitating effects of Chemo is one of their primary concerns and Pot can help them keep their food down as well as stimulate their appetite. Remember it used to be used as a medicine far longer then anything else we are using to date with arguably far less side affects. It's a Cost-Benefit scenario.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Well, honestly, the ill effect from pot come mainly from assumption, But I'm not here to argue about that,

Marijuana is used to both stimulate appetite in cancer patients, and can/is used in tandem with chemo therapy to help counteract the negative aspects of chemo, which by far overshadow those of Pot.

With Glaucoma patients, the pain of even having your eyes open is pretty bad, but with Marijuana treatment, as many are well aware, causes a numbing sensation, especially in the optics, and remarkably increases bloodflow to the eyes, which is the reason for the 'bloodshot' look. Now, with the increased bloodflow, it allows for the actual medication to have a greater effect on the eyes.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
In answer to the titular question:

The only reason will be because it works.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Heh.....titular.

Okay, sorry, I had to.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
In addition, not everyone smokes it.

Truthfully Chemo can be so hard on the body that many could not smoke if they had to.

It can be injested oral with, say brownies, added into tea, or used in capsule form.

makeitso

[edit on 6-6-2005 by makeitso]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Yeah, brownies are good too. Not that I'd....

Yeah, brownies are good too.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Loki
With Glaucoma patients, the pain of even having your eyes open is pretty bad, but with Marijuana treatment, as many are well aware, causes a numbing sensation, especially in the optics, and remarkably increases bloodflow to the eyes, which is the reason for the 'bloodshot' look. Now, with the increased bloodflow, it allows for the actual medication to have a greater effect on the eyes.

This is not accurate.
Cannabis and Gluacoma

The human eyeball is filled with fluid which exerts pressure to keep the eyeball spherical. Glaucoma is a condition where the channels through which the fluid flows gradually become blocked, and the intraocular pressure (IOP) gradually increases causing increasing damage to the optic nerve and gradual deterioration of vision. Glaucoma is the second-largest cause of blindness, and affects 1.5% of 50-year olds and 5% of seventy-year olds.

Standard treatments have unpleasant or dangerous side effects, and have little effect on intraocular pressures in end-stage glaucoma. Cannabis however lowers intraocular pressures dramatically, with none of the serious side effects. Patients who find that standard medicines do not help their conditions report that smoking cannabis quickly restores their vision. Many long-term glaucoma patients have successfully maintained their sight using cannabis for 20 or 25 years, and avoided the gradual painful deterioration to blindness that is otherwise inevitable.

Its not a "numbing effect".

In reference to migraines

A study investigating the effects of oral doses of the Cannabis compound delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in patients with cancer demonstrated a trend toward pain relief with escalating doses. The analgesic properties of Cannabis are believed to be unrelated to opioid mechanisms. Recent studies have pointed out some possible mechanisms of action for cannabinoids in migraine, including antinociceptive effects (interference with pain transmission) in an area of the brain that is considered a likely area for migraine generation.

I've never been "numb" from cannabis, "relieved" maybe, like I lost ten pounds from my neck and shoulders, but never a loss of sensation, in fact, sensations are increased, the opposite of "numb".
Pleasure increases, pain decreases. What a wondeful plant.

By the way where do people get the impression, that smoking is instantly dangerous?
It takes 15 or more years of constant daily smoking for any real bad health effects to start happening, unless you are prone to some lung/heart/circulatory illness to begin with. For the majority of medecinal cannabis users, the dosage is once every four hours, thats 1/4 the common pack a day cigarette smokers dosage. Therefore one fourth the exposure to smoke, and therefore we should expect the harmful effects of smoke to take four times longer than that of the average tobacco user, or 60 or more years of daily smoking before the harmful effects are witnessed.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Legalizer]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
It should be noted clearly that marijuana does not "cure" anything. This fact alone certainly does not eliminate the use of marijuana to treat conditions, alleviating pain, minimizing muscular spasms, controlling nausea , stimulating appetite and easing anxiety and stress. Keep in mind, aspirin doesn't "cure" anything either!

[edit on 6/7/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:51 AM
link   
This is a very good summary:

1 Q. What is Marijuana?

A. "Marijuana" refers to the dried leaves and flowers of the cannabis
plant , which contain the non-narcotic chemical THC at various
potencies. It is smoked or eaten to produce the feeling of being
"high." The different strains of this herb produce different sensual
effects, ranging from sedative to stimulant.

2 Q. Who Uses Marijuana?

A. There is no single profile of a typical marijuana user. It has been
used for 1000s of years for medical, social, and religious reasons
and for relaxation . Several of our Presidents are believed
to have smoked it. One out of every five Americans say they have
tried it. And it is still popular among artists, writers, musicians,
activists, lawyers, inventors, working people, etc.

3 Q. How Long Have People Been Using Marijuana?

A. Marijuana has been used since ancient times. While field hands
and working people have often smoked the raw plant, aristocrats
historically prefer hashish made from the cured flowers of the
plant.

4 Q. Is Marijuana Addictive?

A. No, it is not. Most users are moderate consumers who smoke it
socially to relax. On a relative scale, marijuana is less habit
forming than either sugar or chocolate but more so than anchovies.
Sociologists report a general pattern of marijuana use that peaks
in the early adult years, followed by a period of leveling off and then
a gradual reduction in use.

5 Q. Has Anyone Ever Died From Smoking Marijuana?

A. No; not one single case, not ever. THC is one of the few chemicals for
which there is no known toxic amount.

6 Q. Does Marijuana Lead to Crime and/or Hard Drugs?

A. No. The only crime most marijuana users commit is that they use
marijuana. And, while many people who abuse dangerous drugs also smoke
marijuana, the old "stepping stone" theory is now discredited, since
virtually all of them started out "using" legal drugs like sugar,
coffee, cigarettes, alcohol, etc.

7 Q. Does Marijuana Make People Violent?

A. No. In fact, it has been found to lead to non-violence and pacifism.
If this is the truth, then re-legalizing marijuana should be considered
as one way to curb violence in our cities. The simple fact is that marijuana
does not change your basic personality. The government says that over 20
million Americans still smoke it, probably including some of the
nicest people you know.

8 Q. How Does Marijuana Affect Your Health?

A. Smoking anything is not healthy, but marijuana is less dangerous than
tobacco and people smoke less of it at a time. This health risk can
be avoided by eating the plant instead of smoking it, or can be
reduced by smoking using water filtration pipes. There is
no proof that marijuana causes serious health or sexual problems
but, like alcohol, its use by children or adolescents is discouraged.
Cannabis is a medicinal herb that has hundreds of proven, valuable
theraputic uses - from stress reduction to glaucoma to asthma to
cancer therapy, etc..

9 Q. What Can I Do About Marijuana?

A. No independent government panel that has studied marijuana has ever recommended jail for users. Concerned persons should therefore
ask their legislators to re-legalize and tax this plant, subject to
age limits and regulations similar to those on alcohol and tobacco.

www.personal.psu.edu...

Thats the facts, all the D.A.R.E Programs, etc. are total BS!!!!!! compared to the facts which are stated above.

seek the truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
the question is simple enough:

why use pot to heal something in a human??
so, people smoke pot to heal something, then they get the negative effect of the pot???
i don't understand..

TSA, it is a mystic experience it has to do with the ultimale flow of the universe and the pychic pychosis of life. To heal is to flow in the eternal nirvana that brings about this mystical experience that trancends the threads that lynch us in this verse of uni .

Okay! enough crap, why do people use pot?
for FUN! duh! when you take pot it elevates mood and lowers sensory inputs so you are floating or something.(depends on how much you take! ) yeah it has negetive effects but people don't care, yes people don't care whether they live or die sometimes, why do people Jay walk? don't they care? something similar.
If you can cure yourself and get high why not ? No one wants to live for ever!!
Thats the truth!!

IAF

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Somewhere around 800,000 marijuana related arrests a year in the US alone, that is nearly a million people a year getting arrested for a weed.
I can go outside right now and sow my yard full of deadly hemlock and Castor Bean Plants, maybe some hemlock or Henbane, dry it, bag it up, and sell it to kids all day long, but god forbid if it might be something that changes the way you think.

If we are going to wipe out a plant species, let's go for Poison Ivy or the Friggin Ephedra (meth) plants.
The good news is even with death penalties in places through history like Rome and the Ottoman Empire, truth and logic prevails generally and the plants given to us by god for our use are not for sale... of course that's the whole problem anyway isn't it. I guess if you cant legally patent it, ban it, or geneticly modify it so you can patent it. That's the pattern, if you can't control it, kill it. Mankind has come so far, and yet so little...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
It should be noted clearly that marijuana does not "cure" anything. This fact alone certainly does not eliminate the use of marijuana to treat conditions, alleviating pain, minimizing muscular spasms, controlling nausea , stimulating appetite and easing anxiety and stress. Keep in mind, aspirin doesn't "cure" anything either!

[edit on 6/7/2005 by benevolent tyrant]

thank you that is exactly what i was going to say. it does NOTHING to cure.........but merely makes the user lead a more comfortable life.....minimizes the nausea from chemo......increases the appetite.....relieves the pain from glaucoma and as one lady i saw on tv this morning.....minimizes the pain from an inoperable brain tumor....

i wonder..........if the supreme court justices had a family member suffering from an inoperable brain tumor and medical pot helped ease that person's discomfort of the family member.............wonder if THEN they might have a different view???

hhhmmmmm
makes you wonder doesn't it!

i have no problem with medical pot.......

angie

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I would say you just pointed to some reasons why it should be legalized.
Dont you think?

I'd much rather have a weed smoking circle of friends than a drunk. But thats my opinion

[edit on 7-6-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I would say you just pointed to some reasons why it should be legalized.
Dont you think?

I'd much rather have a weed smoking circle of friends than a drunk. But thats my opinion

[edit on 7-6-2005 by dgtempe]

i have no reason NOT to support legalization of medical pot for sure. that would be a helpful thing to those that are critically ill.

i'm still a bit on the fence for open legalization of pot.........
working through that concept still.

angie

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
It completely owns your Short term memory I constantly have to write things down now otherwise I just don’t remember.......its worse when your talking to someone & you get distracted then forget what you were gong on about.

What annoys me is I get people telling me its disgusting/bad habit for having a smoke be it a relaxing doobie by myself or with friends yet these same people will be chuffing away on a 20+ cigarette’s a day or be topping the 20stone mark on there scales. I also guaranty that these same mofo's will be the first to be begging me to let them "have a toke" as soon as there had a beer.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legalizer

Originally posted by Loki

This is not accurate.
Cannabis and Gluacoma

The human eyeball is filled with fluid which exerts pressure to keep the eyeball spherical. Glaucoma is a condition where the channels through which the fluid flows gradually become blocked, and the intraocular pressure (IOP) gradually increases causing increasing damage to the optic nerve and gradual deterioration of vision. Glaucoma is the second-largest cause of blindness, and affects 1.5% of 50-year olds and 5% of seventy-year olds.

Standard treatments have unpleasant or dangerous side effects, and have little effect on intraocular pressures in end-stage glaucoma. Cannabis however lowers intraocular pressures dramatically, with none of the serious side effects. Patients who find that standard medicines do not help their conditions report that smoking cannabis quickly restores their vision. Many long-term glaucoma patients have successfully maintained their sight using cannabis for 20 or 25 years, and avoided the gradual painful deterioration to blindness that is otherwise inevitable.

Its not a "numbing effect".
[edit on 7-6-2005 by Legalizer]

I'm going to have to disagree here, maybe not a traditional numbing effect, but I for sure lose some sensation, especially nose, fingertips, and some numbing is definetly present, but maybe different people have different reactions.

As for the first part of your post, I guess I was mistaken, but with increased bloodflow to the eyes, It allows more fluid both in and out, so I can see where I got my signals crossed there.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
well, it dosent actually heal, per say, it helps patients better tolerate the treatments for healing.
plus it makes you feel good

who said there are negative effects of smoking pot?
marijuana has caused the least deaths of all the drugs out there. i havent heard of any negative effects.

[edit on 7/6/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
i think i should have explained myself clearer before...

if a person smokes pot, doesn't he / she get lung cancer or another negative effect???

if so, is it worth smoking the pot to "numb" the pain of something, and then get the lung cancer???

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think the long term effects of cannabis derivatives used for pain control or chemo relief are far less serious than those of opium derivatives such as morphine or vicodin/vicoprofen. Opium derivatives cause heart disease, liver failure, and intestinal problems, and that is proven. There is no proof that smoking cannabis causes lung cancer. Smoking it may be harmful, but there are other ways to ingest it, and the damage opiates do happens much faster. Opiates are just way more toxic than cannabinoids.

Chief Justice Rehnquist dissented on yesterday's USSC decision. He has recently undergone chemo. I wonder what he thinks about this?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join