It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abortion Bill Signed in a Church (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
In Forth Worth Texas, the governor ceremonially signed a bill that imposes more limitations on late-term abortions. This bill would also require that minors get written parental permission before they can get an abortion.
The ceremony was filled with religious references. Govenor Perry held this ceremony in the Gymnasium of a church.

www.nbc5i.com
FORT WORTH, Texas -- In a ceremony filled with religious references, Gov. Rick Perry signed a bill at a church school gymnasium Sunday that imposes more limits on late-term abortions and requires minor girls to get written parental consent for abortions.
"And it has been a tragedy of unspeakable consequences that for decades activist courts denied many Texas parents their right to be involved in one of the most important decisions their young daughter could ever make -- whether to end the life that was growing inside her," Perry told a crowd of about 1,000 people gathered at the Calvary Christian Academy. "For too long, a blind eye has been turned to the rights of our most vulnerable human beings -- that's the unborn in our society."

During the 1 1/2-hour program, Perry also signed a resolution to amend the Texas Constitution by banning same-sex marriages.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Even though this bill is not yet law and will need to be voted on by the Texas voters, why would a government official ignore protocol?
What happened to the separation of church and state? It would seem that Governor Perry is attempting to polarize various religious sects by this performance.
As most objectors top this bill are those of faith, why would he sign a bill like this in a place of worship. Is this a “thumbing of his nose” to those of faith?
I personally am against abortions for the most part. Abortions should only be allowed in such cases as rape, or when the woman’s health would be endangered.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have to say that since the "original sin" women's uterus has been the condemnation of woman in this world of, politics, relgion and lies.

Get ready ladies, our sexual and reproductive organs will be The Property Of the Federal government and regulated by the individual states.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
It's not so much the federal goverment I'm worried about, it's the state goverments I don't trust. Not to stereotype but doesn't it seem like all the seperation of church and state violations come out of Texas these days? I'm not really an abortion supporter but this is just nuts, add in doing this in a church too. I think it's obvious that the churches are gaining far too much power these days.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Actually CyberDude, this would be against religion as christians as a whole, are against abortion. The signing of the bill in a church as basically sayng to Heck with the church.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Actually this bill is anti abortion. By putting limits on abortion they're getting one step closer to completly outlawing it. I'm somewhat anti-abortionist (not because of the churches in anyway), but I think that by signing this stuff in a church is showing how much influence they have.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Actually CyberDude, this would be against religion as christians as a whole, are against abortion. The signing of the bill in a church as basically sayng to Heck with the church.

Not the way I read it. It is more pro religion then against, since it tightens the rules on aboortion. Roe v Wade made abortion legal yet they are now putting more controls at the state level. And let us not forget the other bill that he signed during the same session which was anti Gay legislation which again supports the majority feelings of most churches.

[edit on 6/6/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
My Bad That is what I get doing 5 things at once

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I agree, signing in the church is showing the rest of the states that religion is in charge and very much dictating policies in the state government.

Kind of risky to me but it should be a warning to the rest of American as how things are to be conducted in our nation.

new topics

top topics

join