It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Limited or No Connectivity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hello all, I'm a tech at one of the local ISP's and we have noticed a high volume of limited or no connectivity (with XP) that no usual troubleshooting fixes. I was hoping to get some feed back from around the country and globe to see if maybe this is a new virus. Tell me even if you've only seen this once and couldn't fix it.

:bnghd:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Most times when I see this it turns out to be a hardware fault and not software at all. In fact the most common cause has been static shock in the server room. Check your grounds!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
hmm.

I've noticed this on several workstations, at my workplace (XP pro).
IT seems to be cumulative though..connectivity gets worse and worse, until
the workstation stops responding. It starts back at normal on reboot, and procedes, over about 1 day, until another reboot is required. Right now we are just researching the problem. These workstations are non critical, and are part a small number that run constantly. The others are rebooted every day anyway..Thats all I have, at the moment.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I have seen that a lot, but usually I could troubleshoot it by clicking the "Repair" button. At times, when the repair button didn't work, the tech support at my ISP said that "they are facing a signal outage in my area". :shk:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The thing is it's wide spread. We service over half of arizona and a good portion of NW Missouri. We're getting this from all over. There is no pattern to it. Some of the customers have routers and some don't. Some use a USB cable and some use Ethernet. Its wierd. It is really acting like a virus of some kind.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Nightwalker,

When did this start? Any rough idea?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Probably with in the last week or so. It's slowly started cropping up worse and worse to where its starting to tick me off. Hopefully AVG will come out with an update to destroy this if it is a virus. Maybe its just a classic Windows error that will cause us another Service Pack.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
Maybe its just a classic Windows error that will cause us another Service Pack.

Even before the release of Service Pack 2 for XP, it was known there would be a Service Pack 3. Even those who worked for Microsoft acknowledged that it was indeed true.

Here are some links...
www.geekinformed.com...
www.theinquirer.net...
news.techwhack.com...

They all basically state the same thing, but I wanted to use multiple sources

SP3 is most likely the last big fix for Windows XP before the release of Windows "Longhorn" near the end of next year.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I've had 5 more calls on this since i originally posted this less than 3 hours ago. It has to be a new worm that spreading through IE like sasser or blaster did. It's getting very wide spread and has to be a new virus.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightwalker
Probably with in the last week or so.

I'm at work now..and all the users are complaining about this very thing..
This is an internal network BTW...I need to get poking around..something may be up...or down.....LOL.. It's been about a week...unfortunately for me, it coincided with a database upgrade, something I did...So I'm gettin the blame right now..!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That sucks abou them blaming you. Tell them it is a country wide problem. Hopefully they come out with a fix for this soon. Keep System Restore Points and maybe we will be able to use them to go back once the fix comes out.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Nightwalker]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
eh...I'm used to it..
They NEVER blame me when things are going well! LOL

I think I found one of my problems though..
the Virus Scan settings that we push to the workstations
were changed somehow..We were scanning ALL files, inbound/outbound, on access. We usually exclude a number of filetypes that get moved around the local network..

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hey all,

hope this helps

How to Troubleshoot and Fix Windows XP SP2

What Steps Can I Take to Fix This Problem?

If you are receiving this error, you should run the Microsoft patch (KB884020) for it. Follow the instructions below to do this. Alternatively, you can download a zip file with the patch, registry file, and instructions by clicking here.

1) Download the patch from Microsoft's site
2) Run the update to install it
3) Run this short Registry fix to complete the update. Type the following lines in Notepad and save the file as FixReg.reg on your desktop, then double click on it to install into your registry.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\IPSec]
"AssumeUDPEncapsulationContextOnSendRule"=dword:00000002

4) Reboot your computer

If you experience the error message again, reboot your computer first. In most cases this will solve many connectivity issues that are not associated with this SP2 bug

If this does not fix it, reset your TCP/IP stack by downloading and running WinsockXPFix.exe a Visual Basic program designed to fix corrupted TCP/IP issues, host file problems and a variety of other connectivity issues.

Or

Start-->
Run-->
cmd-->
netsh interface reset

Best of luck
makeitso

posted on Jun, 9 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hmmm, had this problem at a friends house. I pay him 20 bucks a month to go over and leech off his modem. After about 15 housr of d/l stuff, I noticed my connection to Limewire went to connecting and everything stopped d/l. I rebooted, poof, back to normal, but a 2 liter of Dew and about 14-15 hours later, same thing, reboot, fixed. IDK why, but that's just the way it is.

CTO

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I've run into this problem twice but both times were on my network at the office...

I finally discovered, after about three hours of pulling out my hair, that there were two instances of DHCP running on my server... I shut down one of them and all was right with the world...

In the second instance the DHCP server had shut down... I have no idea how... but restarting it solved the problem!

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have gotten the same problem as well, but I cannot connect at all. They told me at first it was my ethernet card, so I bought a new one and got the same message. Limited or No Connectivity and when I tried to repair, it was unable to renew my IP address. Last night, I was on the phone for over an hour with the tech service at my ISP and he simply could not fix it. We tried winsock, and the ITP deal and nothing. Our conversation ended with "it has to be something wrong with your OS". I am having to use my computer at work to check for solutions at this time. It sounds like a virus / spyware / malware of some kind. I am hoping someone comes up with a fix............ PLEASE HELP............

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
For now, I will work with your assumption that it is a virus/worm causing the issue.

With that in mind, here is my susgestions:

Check your servers for virus's/malwear/spyware/worms...................

here is a list of "FREE" programs you can use to check:

ccleaner
www.ccleaner.com...

ad awear 2008
downloads.zdnet.com...
(note, this ios not free for busness's, but i "believe" you may demo it to see if you want to purchase it, it is server safe-see download page)

You see, if your servers are infected, they will try to infect all clients who log in to them.
You might also check the servers network load-as comparied to before this issue.
Also check to cpu and ram usage compared to before the issue.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Once you have done the spyware and the virus scan try this in the command line:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
ipconfig /all

also check the gateway and reset the DHCP provider. What type of equipment do you have? Cisco?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Also, are you connected through wireless or through Ethernet? That will also help with the trouble shooting.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Looks like this virus/spyware has come over to india and am facing the same frustrating issue for the last 3 weeks. If I leave my computer turned Off for 2 days, I won't have this problem the next 1 day and internet works pretty fine. If the next reboot happens to be the next day, I face the same issue which won't go no matter whatever you try doin. Even the microsoft hotfix will not do any good.

When I tried installing an old win2000 in another drive and tried connectin there, it works pretty on the same machine. This shows that my Ethernet card is fine and no hardware related issues. This surely gotta do somethin specific to the XPSP2 facing some kinda attacks from virus/spywares/malware/God knows what.

Am at last gonna try installing SP3 on my XPSP2 today to see if this solves this problem. Please lemme know if anyone has had this problem before and was able to fix and whther installing SP3 is solving the problem.

I shall update what I find after installing SP3.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join