It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to MANDATE mental health screening for '05-'06 school year (from ATSNN)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
For the 2005-2006 school year, the government is mandating mental health screening for ALL students. Many schools (notice NOT ALL) will send home "permission" slips to be signed to allow vision, dental, learning disabilities, speech impediments, etc as well as MENTAL WELLNESS. President Bush's New Freedom Initiative states that the prescribed "treatment" will be "enforced". One such treatment invovles "implanting" a capsule. If certain "conditions" are seen in the children, the parents may be investigated.

www.rense.com
In the 2005-2006 school year, all parents will receive written notice of new policies from your children's schools. Many schools will ask you to sign permission slips, allowing school counselors or "advocates" to have conversations with your children. You will be told how your local schools are now involved in vision and dental screenings, learning disabilities and speech impediment screenings, and other acts of kindness, but watch for the small print or the extra little blurb, which states that your children will also be evaluated for emotional wellness. Watch for wording like "happiness indicators" or "family participation."

The fact is that our president has mandated that every American child, age 3 through 18, is federally ordered to be evaluated for mental health issues and to receive "enforced" treatment. Welcome to President Bush's New Freedom Initiative and New Freedom Commission on Mental Health. Welcome to life-long profiling and drug addictions, New Freedom-style.

52 million students and six million adults working in schools, according to this commission, will be tested and should flush out at least 6 million people, or shall we say new customers, who will then be mandated to receive "treatment." What treatment does our president's commission have in mind? The newest drugs in the pharmaceutical pipelines, of course. The commission recommends "specific medications for specific conditions."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

WTF? This should send alarms off in EVERYONE'S minds, not just parents. I don't even know where to begin on how many levels of wrong this is. Federally mandated, funded, and enforced drugging of our children is HORRID! As with most CRITICAL issues in our country, nothing is being said by the major media outlets. We are having less and less control over even our childrens' lives. Mind you, this is already passed. You will find out in three months...
At any moment, George Orwell may dig his way out of his grave with and enormous, "I TOLD YOU SO!"

Related News Links:
www.whitehouse.gov
www.masternewmedia.org

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Don't judge the submission by the source site. I posted other "legit" sites at the bottom that apparently are being overlooked. I originally found it on rense which had a link to the article they found, but it was a broken link so I found the other sites to corroborate.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Next I assume they'll be handing out these:

Then our children will all have a thorough review of what the "misfits" look like:

I'm just following the natural progression of thought here.....Clearly we haven't learned a damn thing in the subsequent 60 years....

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
BadMojo,
I have taken the time to go through the information including the 34 page report but I unfortunately do not find any link between renses and masternewmedia statements and what the white house is passing out. Note the quote from both sites.

4) early mental health screening, assessment, and referral to services are common practice;

There is nothing here to indicate that these metal health screenings will be enforced at schools. It may well be something that Drs and clinics will have to add to there health assessments.Nor do I see where there is an "order that everyone must be screened. This is similar to the initiatives that the gov't put out to stop teen smoking.
As to the "implanting" a capsule, the links from both rense and masternewmedia go to a default page and shows no proof of the use of an "implanted capsule".
The mental health in the US is an issue but neither the schools not the goverment can enforce such edicts as your sources are expounding.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   
C'mon, ken. Read between the lines. Politcal/technical rhetoric is meant to be vague and "interpretable". I can clearly read the intent of these vagueries.You don't have to agree/believe it will happen. Just wait three months...you'll see.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

and six million adults working in schools, according to this commission, will be tested

When I have kids I wouldn't mind knowing that the adults working in their schools have gone through mental health screening.

Maybe we wouldn't see another LeTourneau, or that teacher that let a kid lick her feet?

As for treatment, that part I don't know about.

If someone is deemed mentally unfit, put them anywhere but a school.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Hmmmmm, mental health screenings are great. Can we start with the President and his cabinet first?

The more I see crap like this, the more, when I have kids, the words Homeschooling keep popping in my mind.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Isn't this the same board that, just a few weeks ago was screaming that something needs to be done to stop school shootings? Then they do something and you scream about that, too.

This seems like a good first step to me in identifying potentially dangerous situations.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
This seems like a good first step to me in identifying potentially dangerous situations.

If this law were to be applied retrospectively - It's safe to say we would loose many of the greatest contributers to the arts and sciences...

The current administration wishes to isolate and brand these people....

It's like a little kid trying to fit a square object into a round hole....There's simply something wrong here....

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
This is such a coup for the PTB. Not only will the pharmaceutical companies make a fortune off the children who will now be medicated to the eye balls (where is the money to PAY for these medications going to come from anyways - AND the 'investigators' for that matter)... but they will also be able to identify and target individuals who they can set up for future purposes (recruitment for the alphabet soup orgs that you DO NOT hear about).

I think this is less about finding 'problem' and more about finding the 'right psychotic man for the job' and following them through out their school carear to sign them up for the army or whatever when the time is right.

This will be an easy way to shape some people the way they want them to be shaped.

I'm just disgusted about this. How many lives will be ruined by drugs they did not need?

It just makes me stomach turn to think about these childeren. Just kills me.

Very sad.

-VMX

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Vis, Medicare and Medicaid will pay for these experiments...I mean screenings.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadMojo
Vis, Medicare and Medicaid will pay for these experiments...I mean screenings.

Hum . . . I have a private insurance so I don't see anybody forcing me into paying for mandatory test, that will be my personal decision.

But hey I forgot . . . under the new and improve patriot act we have not say so anymore. Right?

Now in a more serious note, when my son needed testing by the school, the school denied the testing because they didn't have enough money, so I used my private insurance to have the testing done.

Then I told the school that I was suing them for denying these test to my son for his well being.

The school then had not problem testing my son, the money was available.

Now how much money the government is planning to spend on these testings? or they are planning to force the parents into paying.

I wonder.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
wow, i'm surprised at the "i don't care, it will make AMERIKA safer' responses. it doesn't matter that it wont be 'enforced' in the beginning..'cause it will be enforced in the end.

the AMERIKIAN system of govt has become a posion..a posion that is very slowly being administerd into us. alittle at first and then the doses get bigger and BIGGER. it is all in the name of 'saftey' or anti-terror or anti-drug. does the current govt reflect the people of the u.s.? do the citizens of the u.s. reflect the nature of the current govt? we all have a front row seat to the demise of the Americian way of life. it will now be replaced with roadblocks, 'apptitude' tests, drug tests, mental health...'screenings', no financial privacy, no individual privacy, restrictions on travel, restrictions on what legal things you can do and were they can be done, invading countries........ a totalitarian govt is in the works. but they have played thier hand well, they have gotten the sheeple to think that all this is what they WANT and NEED.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Screening Articles For Your Mental Health

I strongly recommend that my fellow members carefully consider the sources of information and opinions being presented here before jumping to conclusions.

The source article is an opinion piece written by Nancy Levant of The Sierra Times. It is not a news article.

I suggest that my fellow members visit SierraTimes.com directly and form your own opinions regarding what the website is about.

A simple google search will give you some background on what kinds of articles originate there, and why it is a frequent Rense.com contributor.

Nancy Levant may well have a point, but I think it is important to remember that she is not reporting news, but her opinion, and her assessment based on “connecting the dots”.

She is also pushing home schooling, and promoting home schooling is clearly an agenda central to her article.

Opinions On Opinions

Her listed sources are opinion pieces themselves. The Devvy article, dated September 19, 2004, speaks in grand and indignant tones about consitutionality and other fine topics, but can be condensed to the one simple question it contains: “Will this Nazi style proposal of Mr. Bush's become a bill in Congress?”

Devvy's answer? “It's anyone's guess, but these duplicitous, lying dogs in Congress know they will run into the same brick wall as when Marxist Hillary Clinton attempted to socialize America's health care system.”

Basically, Devvy is saying that it won't happen.

Beverly Eakman's article, a relatively recent piece written on March 27, 2005, does not, refreshingly enough, mention Nazis or Marxists. Rather, she critiques the state of pediatric psychiatry, as well as Ron Paul's proposed New Freedom Initiative. Finally, someone who mentioned actual legislation.

Meanwhile, in the whitehouse.gov article, dated April 29, 2002, we see this:

From whitehouse.gov:
Sec. 3. Mission. The mission of the Commission shall be to conduct a comprehensive study of the United States mental health service delivery system, including public and private sector providers, and to advise the President on methods of improving the system.

What does this mean? That the President's New Freedom Commission on Mental Health is a commission, not a legislative body or enforcement arm of the government.

The third source BadMojo cited, The New Freedom Initiative (US): Ready To Be Tested? was written almost a year ago on July 16, 2004, and speaks of Bush unveiling a sweeping new initiative “next month”, meaning August of last year.

As best I can tell, none of these sources actually support Nancy Levant's claims.

Tempest Without A Teapot

So why haven't we heard more about this? I don't know. Maybe it is because what is being implied here isn't actually happening.

If it is, I would expect to hear more about it, since we hear about pretty much everything else that goes on in America's schools.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong and there's a big cover up taking place, but if so, it's going to be hard to hide that from the parents of tens of millions of school children across the nation.

My impression is that there may be some issues of concern here, but that much of what is being trumpeted is either blown out of proportion or factually incorrect.

If Nancy Levant is being honest when she claims that “our president has mandated that every American child, age 3 through 18, is federally ordered to be evaluated for mental health issues and to receive 'enforced' treatment,” I find it incredible that this would not generate more controversy.

As it is, her article presents absolutely no corroborated evidence whatsoever that her claim is valid.

The Very First Uncontroversial Thing To Ever Happen In America's Schools

Let's be realistic. Parents complain bitterly enough when their kids aren't chosen for the varsity team. Every silly school-related issue you can possibly imagine gets major coverage both nationally and locally.

Heck, in Reno, Nevada a while back, the case of a player being put back on a baseball team by the school board -- after being cut by the coach -- was a major scandal. Questions about what kind of food is offered in snack machines at schools is cause for nationwide attention.

People do care about what goes on in America's schools, and there is simply no way in hell that a sizable percentage of America's parents wouldn't raise a major stink about a program that mandated any form of medical treatment for their children.

Just look at the reaction this story is getting here. Now imagine that instead of reading it on ATS, you just got a notice from your school district saying this.

Is it possible you just might say something about it?

Does anyone really believe something like this wouldn't make headlines if this was actually what is going on?

Self-Imposed Exile

There is hardly a “media blackout” on this, if google is any guide. A search for "new freedom initiative" yields about 60,000 hits, many of them on major media outlets.

The claim that “nothing is being said by the major media outlets” about this is demonstrably false. Just click the link and see for yourself.

As always, I assure my fellow ATS members that their mental health will benefit from the liberal and scrupulous application of skepticism.

Nancy Levant's claims may, in fact, be true, but I would like to see some credible corroboration before I jump on this dubious bandwagon.

Finally, for those members expressing an unfortunate degree of confusion and ignorance on the matter, here's an article describing what real Nazis actually are that I hope they may find informative and educational.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
wow, i'm surprised at the "i don't care, it will make AMERIKA safer' responses.

Same here clearmind. I think the analogy you're looking for is something like this...
How do you boil a frog without it knowing? You raise the heat a little at a time so that it doesn't notice until...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I wrote to both US Senators from my state when I first heard about this last year; both wrote back and assured me that there was no initiative to carry out mandatory mental health screening in schools or in the general populace. There were several other objectives for the NFCMH; none of them nefarious.

I even posted their official responses last year. I trust their word more than I do the sources presented here.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I stated previously that I am aware that rense may be a "questionable" source. That is why I provided other links that contained direct information.

Google may have more than 60,000 hits, but very few actually have anything to do with the topic presented.

There is at least one "commission" that has suggested legislation that has be brought about. I think it was prefixed with 911.
And I can't remember reading anywhere that says legisaltion has to be reported; sweeping or not.

What we "expect" to hear and what we get are not always the same thing. Take our government for example...

Hard to hide from parents? Please...John/Jane Q. Public doesn't know HALF of what happens in public schools. Reno is apparently more involved in local schools than the rest of the country. I live in Houston, TX. Rarely do I see mention of school activities in the local news unless they are illegal. I believe most parents would say something about it...if they were told.

All things said and done, this is quite the nice debate.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
Isn't this the same board that, just a few weeks ago was screaming that something needs to be done to stop school shootings? Then they do something and you scream about that, too.

HAHA. [insert attack against user not allowed by this site right here]
Go read up on who is doing the school shootings:
KIDS ON ANTI-PSYCHOTIC and ANTI-DEPRESSANT MEDICATIONS

This isn't going to prevent school shootings, its going to increase it.
Then the kids who witness these shootings will all be evaluated to be suffering from trauma and be prescribed drugs.

These mental health screenings are not new.
My brother was sent to one of these back in 1976, the school /board of whatever's reasoning : "he doesn't color in the lines"
They wanted to put him on Ridalin. My parents refused outright, they were furious.
It may come to the point that parents can no longer refuse.
How insane was my brother? Hmm he stole a gun at age 12, and wow, this month marks his twentieth year of military service...K-Razy!

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
This is quite obviously another case of..

"All your brains are belong to us"

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Sources Of Confusion

Originally posted by BadMojo
Google may have more than 60,000 hits, but very few actually have anything to do with the topic presented.

The New Freedom Initiative is a very broad initiative, hence the fact that so many of those references don't mention mandatory mental health screening and treatment at all.

My point is not that there isn't something to this, but that those who wish to point fingers should respect themselves enough to back up their claims with some verifiable facts.

I am not seeing this in Nancy Levant's article, and have consequently explained the foundation for my skepticism in detail.

Rense.com has a reputation for hosting some pretty wild stuff because it does. They will carry just about everything, no matter how patently absurd, because that's their policy.

As Rense puts it: “We Deliver - You Decide.”

I used to be a critic of Rense until I finally (at long last) got the point. Now I really admire the site. It's sort of like the Drudge Report “for the rest of us”.

Just as with Drudge -- and any other source -- I recommend skepticism. Just because a story reinforces one's prejudices does not mean it is true. In fact, it is almost always the contrary.

If anyone has some credible sources which actually corroborate Nancy Levant's claims, I would be very interested in seeing them. Until I do, however, I will continue to consider her claims suspect and sensational.

I personally see some cause for legitimate concern regarding the New Freedom Initiative, but I don't believe any form of legitimate concern is well served by unsupported accusations.

We owe ourselves better than that.

<<   2 >>

join