It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cryptology School

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I'm going to be a Senior in the fall, so I need to start looking at colleges. I want to major in cryptology, but I can't find a school that offers it. Would any of you happen to know where I can find a cryptology degree. And if anyone knows anyone who is a cryptologist I would love to talk with them about it.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
BSU or any military college will have this.
Here is a google search for this:
Google college cryptology

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Well.. I don't want to be in the military. Where is BSU? I saw the NSA had a college for that, but i don't know if you have to work for the NSA to get into that program.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Boise Idaho University.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
well.. here's what i want to do, maybe you could help me out. I kind of want to be a cryptologist for the government or intelligence analyst. My dream job would to be a handler. But that won't happen. They really don't make degrees in what Iwant to be, does anyone have any ideas.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Heh Heh - you sure you want to go work in that capacity for the U.S. Govt!??

Now, my Secret Society might a rewarding have a place for someone like yourself!

As far as studies go - I think you will actually want to get a bachelors and masters (and maybe even PHD) in mathematics - which you can get from any respectable university.

Thats how my dad became a cryptologist during his service in the military.

I believe thats how John Nash became involved with it and the military as well.

Once you have that you can get work as a cryptologist - and presumably all the on the job training necessary for your specialization.

Quantum Cryptography is probably the field you would want to end up in - it will likely make code breaking obsolete.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

well.. here's what i want to do, maybe you could help me out. I kind of want to be a cryptologist for the government or intelligence analyst. My dream job would to be a handler. But that won't happen. They really don't make degrees in what Iwant to be, does anyone have any ideas.

1. Find the nearest college that offers espionage-related courses, such as heavy on politics, communism, etc.

2. Find the contact info for those professors teaching said courses.

3. Contact those professors, let them know you are looking to work for the NSA/CIA, etc. and if they could provide a contact for the local recruiter. One of them is bound to know....seriously (I know this first-hand by the way).

4. Contact the recruiter. He/She will be more than happy to recommend a college, courses, area of study, etc.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
Well.. I don't want to be in the military. Where is BSU? I saw the NSA had a college for that, but i don't know if you have to work for the NSA to get into that program.

You could join the airforce. That's not really the military... (just kidding! I was in the Army, it was a hobby razzing the zoomies).

Your best best other than military is, as others have stated, is mathematics.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

1. Find the nearest college that offers espionage-related courses, such as heavy on politics, communism, etc.

2. Find the contact info for those professors teaching said courses.

3. Contact those professors, let them know you are looking to work for the NSA/CIA, etc. and if they could provide a contact for the local recruiter. One of them is bound to know....seriously (I know this first-hand by the way).

4. Contact the recruiter. He/She will be more than happy to recommend a college, courses, area of study, etc.

or just go here - www.nsa.gov...

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Cryptanalysis is the art and science of solving cryptograms (writings in cipher or code) or cryptographic systems (devices for enciphering and deciphering). Cryptanalysts utilize Mathematics, Computer Programming, Engineering, and language skills as well as new technologies and creativity to systematically analyze basic elements in a cipher code to find a solution. Cryptanalysts at NSA have the unique opportunity to work with high power workstations and supercomputers to develop their own hardware and software tools for solving analytic tasks.

No specific major is targeted for Cryptanalysis; NSA hires people with technical and non-technical degrees, ranging from Mathematics to Music, Engineering to History, and Computer Programming to Chemistry.

Cryptanalysis Intern Program
Applicants for Cryptanalysis are placed in the Cryptanalysis Intern Program (CAIP), which is designed to produce professional Cryptanalysts. CAIP participants attend formal classes, receive technical training from experienced Cryptanalysts, and rotate to various job assignments throughout NSA.

SIGNALS ANALYSIS

Signals Analysis is a cutting-edge technical discipline that seeks to recover, understand, and derive intelligence from foreign signals. Signals Analysts must use their background in Computer Science, Mathematics, and Engineering to analyze, understand, and exploit the advanced signals that NSA targets use to communicate.

At NSA, Signals Analysts use the latest in computing technology and laboratory signal measurement and test equipment, as well as high power workstations and supercomputers which can be used to develop their own hardware and software tools for solving analytic tasks.

Extensive in-house classroom and on-the-job training is offered to both new hires and experienced employees as part of their continuing career development.

Still not going to tell you exactly what courses to take, what to major in, etc. (just a bunch of variants) You want to talk to an actual recruiter to find out BEFORE you finish college....
They can then direct you to exactly what they are looking for. Not to mention, if you're talking to a recruiter, you've got a much better chance of your resume' not ending up in the trash can when you go to apply....

Not to mention, FINDING the recruiter shows them you've got drive, intelligence, and interest, and that in itself puts you to the top of the pile..

There may even be an intern program to go into while you are attending college (only the recruiter will know this...) versus the professional intern program.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Not to mention, FINDING the recruiter shows them you've got drive, intelligence, and interest, and that in itself puts you to the top of the pile..

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Gazrok]

True enough! Great avatar, by the way, Gaz!

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Marid Audran]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Thanks you guys for all your help. I really mean it , your guys are the greatest.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The answer to your question concerning the college at NSA is yes, you need to work there.

As others have already pointed out you are not likely to find a civilian school offering a degree in cryptology. You can prepare yourself by studying mathematics, physics, and electronics, along with one or more appropriate foreign languages.

Your brief intro indicates that you will probably have to apply to the CIA for long term employment--since you profess to want to be a "handler,"you should learn everything you can about some particular geopolitical area of the earth, including first hand cultural, historical, and artistic knowledge.

As an aside, stay away from ANY use of proscribed drugs, don't join cults, the communist party (or other revolutionary groups), keep your credit rating high, and in general be a good boy scout. Failures in these areas will preclude you ever getting the requisite clearances for employment.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
well I'm good in those areas. I haven't gotten into any trouble yet. I'm only 17 I still have my whole life a head of me. Thanks again for all your help. Your words of wisdom with be followed out.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
As an aside, stay away from ANY use of proscribed drugs, don't join cults, the communist party (or other revolutionary groups), keep your credit rating high, and in general be a good boy scout. Failures in these areas will preclude you ever getting the requisite clearances for employment.

Heh - its amazing how these particular requirements filter out some of the best, brightest, and most curious minds of our nation.

I'm sorry, but I just don't trust many people who have never ventured outside the box or who have always just blindly trusted authority.

If we had the same requirements for civilian scientists as we due for our intelligence agencies we would probably not have half the advances we have now.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Actually, usually doing things in the past isn't so bad as long as you report it during the application and do not lie or hide anything.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Bachelor in math and then a masters in computer science with your focus on cryptology. Do as many interns at nsa as you can during that time.

Here is an Academy offering crptology as a field of study. not sure where you live but I am sure that there is a good school in your home country.

Perplex City Academy

If you join the reserves you will get a security clearance that may help you get an internship with nsa.

[edit on 7-6-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hello everyone

I was viewing this topic because, truth is, I'd also like to get my degre in cryptology. I'm Portuguese (dont know if you guys know the country but, it is my dream to become a cryptologist, and, even thinking it was asking too much, one day i'd like to work for NSA or some security agency like that.

I'm writting this post because, where i'm from, cryptology is something no one knows, like, not even my teatchers when they ask me what i want to do, and i answer that i want to be a cryptologist, they ask me "what's that?

so, do to my country's lack of knowledge i'm to ask (if its ok) for u guys to help me find out the best schools in europe and america that offer that cryptology degree i want so badly, and since im only 18 i might be still in time to do it

I hope u can help me, thanks for the attention (by the way i found out this site by searching in google for the cryptology schools im looking for, im going to look up at it, it seems to be grat, related to what i like, and finally pardon my erros at english (if there are any) its not my main language although i like it very much!) Once again thanks, ill be waiting for some answers!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
As someone said already, a math degree is the way to go.

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hey guy I'm from kanata . We are 5 provinces North and South devided like some of the United States . Northern Kanata is natives only ARMY and Police and southern Kanata is natibes only army and settler police army with native soldiers .

I am CSE . thats the old retired certicom software , we designed elytic curve crypto , its open source now its over for sale and use of pakaging that was sold illegally , an old test demo with 2000 software bugs intentionally for hacks . I can open elyptic curve distro with a government key if your using the illegal stuff . Its all off the market certicom is OVER .

Yeah liked the old DNA curve , very amusing . As a member of teh native only army , we have 31 brances of the native canadian army and I am a sub branch known as CSE . AS emergency services uptop to pluto and back we have special ratings for us , I am actual Government of Kanata , all other residents besides us few eskiomes are residents only . Born to be , an test pilot with CSE ratings so i can go to our local space stations if needed . I represent the justcice ministers office of Northern British Columbia . I am back on duty , meteor shower if ya can believe it . It hit Northern BC and North alberta , we have closed all jailz in Northern British Columbia for good and are closing all jailz in Northern Alberta due to a freak meteor shower accident . All is fine very few casualties but the meteors made a scene with us on so many points this is why there is no tourism here anymore in Canada unless you are an registered visitng aline guys , we told you already so did the Governator of calffornia , no bases nothin in Northern canada Guys , " meteors " everything is in space stations now .

Thanks Arnie for tellin the truth .

[edit on 16-8-2008 by jokerdazey2]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join