It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German State TV Show Depicts Bush as Responsible for 9/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   

The ultimate insult to our intelligence: Germany's primary state-run television station (ARD) alleges the Bush family's involvement in the 9/11 WTC attacks. I watched the Sunday night prime-time "Tatort" movie in stunned disbelief. "Tatort" is an enormously popular murder-mystery series that has been running in Germany for 35 years.

Read our Heidelberg friend's DL commentary on this awful piece of demagoguery.

Left Wing Hoodwinking on ARD

The German left has found a new medium to slander America. In the past it could rely on the talk show circuit for a readily available platform to accuse the United States of Germany’s problem du jour and thereby satisfy its need for notoriety. But Germany has deeper problems these days and talk shows of late have been devoted to Chancellor Schroeder’s rapidly declining hopes for re-election amidst the crumbling welfare economy known as the EU. So to counter the loss of audience the German left has taken a page out of Hollywood and created fictional TV characters to say what it is no longer given airtime to lecture about in person. Interestingly, the message the German left weaves into its fiction says more about the left than about its favorite subject.

On the evening of June 5th 2005 the state-funded network ARD broadcast a 90-minute episode of Tatort. The word means “scene of the crime” and it is a long running murder mystery series watched by millions. The episode ("Scheherazade") concerned a woman who claimed that a man was murdered in her apartment. Not just any man, however.

He was one of the pilots on September 11, 2001. According to the story, he failed to board the plane he was supposed to hijack in Boston and he returned to Germany instead. The mystery revolved around the fact that in spite of the woman’s murder claim, the police could not find a corpse and the two detectives on the case spent most of the show trying to determine whether the woman’s story was believable.

Throughout the mystery the woman was chased by groups of unidentified villains who were out to kill her because she had a CD with photographic evidence of the Boston hijacker who got away. The subtext of the plot was her explicitly stated allegation that 9-11 was instigated by the Bush family for oil and power. The hit men were CIA/FBI types and the TV audience is led to believe they were the ones who killed the pilot and were now after the woman to insure her story would never be known. The conclusion of the mystery has the detectives believing her story as she escapes the CIA by fleeing to an unnamed Arab country.

Entire article: David's Medienkritik

No wonder there's such an anti-American feeling in Europe with the state-owned media propagating lies and propaganda like this! I think this really takes the cake!

I'm truly disgusted.

[edit on 6/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I might be upset if they had come out and said it on the news but this was a fictional TV program.

Fictional meaning not real

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It's like saying the BBC (kind of like a state-owned media ) have said that America is covering up UFO's becuase you saw an X-File episode on BBC 2.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
i live in germany, heidelberg infact, but i never watch german TV - its even worse than American TV. now, while i tend to lean in favor with the belief that Bush and admin had foreknowlege of the attacks and actually aided their execution - I AM ABSOLUTELY SICK OF HOLLYWOOD, AMERICAN, GERMAN, OR OTHERWISE, TRIVIALISING VERY REAL SUBJECT MATTER INTO 6OcLOCK THOUGHT FEED. -this is the real root of apathy and failed citeznry. the true fault before any culprit. arghh.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by lost]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I was somewhat misled with the title...
it isn't like the news program is saying this...

it is just a tv series... didn't 24 do something kinda like that?
or better yet... doesn't star trek do something like that by using parellels and metaphoric story lines every week?

come on? is this some insidious plot to censor FICTIONAL TV shows?

I hear that spongebob called Bush a fink... should we hang em?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
I was somewhat misled with the title...
it isn't like the news program is saying this...

it is just a tv series... didn't 24 do something kinda like that?
or better yet... doesn't star trek do something like that by using parellels and metaphoric story lines every week?

come on? is this some insidious plot to censor FICTIONAL TV shows?

I hear that spongebob called Bush a fink... should we hang em?

Here's the difference. Spongebob is a cartoon. No one is going to mistake it for fact. 24 uses fictional characters. Once more, no one is going to mistake it for fact.

Using real characters on a state run channel could create confusion. Let's say that I never watch that particular show and am just flipping through the channels.

I see commentary stating that Schroeder supported a Neo-Nazi organization and that he is surreptitiously funding them and giving them access to arms that they shouldn't otherwise have. If I am already have a negative opinion (or even neutral) opinion of him this will cement it. I don't even have to watch the whole show, just part of it then I would never know and would spend who knows how long telling people about this show I saw that proved Schroeder supported the Neo-Nazi movement.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So you're saying that fictional shows shouldn't ever contain any reference to real life events because it maybe cause someone to think there real and tell people about it?

Using real characters on a state run channel could create confusion.

It could... but then if the program is fiction surely it's up to you to realise?
It'd just be impractical if you didn't air fictional TV shows because there was a slight chance that some one might mistake it for fact.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

No wonder there's such an anti-American feeling in Europe with the state-owned media propagating lies and propaganda like this! I think this really takes the cake!

I'm truly disgusted.

Oh come on, you know better then this.

We tend to call these shows FICTIONAL tv drama, and not propaganda

You might want your goverment to start censoring fictional shows and movies that somehow depict goverment or CIA in negative way, but we europeans are most certainly not going to do it.
We are very well aware of the difference between real life and fiction

On a side note, Tatort is a very good FICTIONAL crime series.

It should also be noted that more people watch Big Brother, Popstars and Desperate Housewives on private TV channels, then Tatort. We are just as dumbed down as you americans

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm sorry but making a show including the sitting President of the United States in such a story is simply not acceptable.

No U.S. fictional shows would do anything like this regarding a foreign head of state or U.S. President, let alone one funded by the government.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Why is it not acceptable?

It IS a work of fiction, after all.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. The show is quite obviously way off the wall fiction, it sounds like the twilight zone crossed with 24. The only way you are going to get it confused with reality is if you are a complete idiot, and TV shows cannot just cater for morons.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm sorry but making a show including the sitting President of the United States in such a story is simply not acceptable.

Well, it is.

No U.S. fictional shows would do anything like this regarding a foreign head of state or U.S. President, let alone one funded by the government.

Funny that, as I just watched an episode of the Simpsons where our own Mr Tony Blair was made to look like an idiot and the show then went on to ridicule our entire country. It was absolutely hilarious.

You are making far too much about this channel being state funded. By law the German government has no editorial control over the channel and therefore no influence over what gets broadcast.

On a broader point - there is some anti-US feeling in Europe (and the rest of the world) however most of it is directed at the Bush regime, rather than Americans in general. As Bush only has a 40% approval rating in his own country (the lowest ever during a second term) there seems to be a lot of US citezans who aren't too keen on him either.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Those are filthy lies of the communist-controlled liberal media.

In truth, all Americans are marching to victory in lockstep behind our beloved Dear Leader. Despite all the propagainda you may have heard from the treasonous dirtycommiepinko press, 98% of Americans voted for Bush, and 98% percent of us support him wholeheartedly. Only a few atavistic dirtycommiepinkos actually oppose Bush, and they mostly live in Berkely, NYC, and Massachussets.

We shouldn't even call them Americans, because as everyone knows, anyone who does not support Bush is not a real American.

(insert sarcasm smiley here)

[edit on 6/6/05 by xmotex]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:58 AM
link   

"I think absolutely nothing of the conspiracy theory that has been hawked in this series. I hope this particular TV movie will be discussed very critically at the next supervisory board meeting of ARD [state television]," said Green Party Chairman Reinhard Buetikofer, who acknowledged that he had not seen the show.
Many Germans think, for example, that the 1969 moon landing was faked, and a poll published in the weekly Die Zeit showed that 31 percent of Germans younger than 30 "think that there is a certain possibility that the U.S. government ordered the attacks of 9/11."
The U.S. Embassy in Berlin was not impressed with the latest episode, which seemed to use haunting Arabic music to portray Arabs and Muslims as innocent victims of American aggression.

"Any claim or suggestion that the United States government was behind the 9/11 disaster is absolutely absurd and not worthy of further comment," said Robert A. Wood, spokesman for the embassy.

A German diplomat in Washington said no one in Germany took the plot seriously because it was "pure fiction."

"It was so out of line with what people really think," the diplomat said, adding that the episode does not deserve further comment.

David's Medienkritik

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:09 AM
link   
So, djohnsto77, what do you suggest?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I'm apalled at the reaction to this story.......Do you mean to tell me that you guys think that the entire world is so unimpressionable that they are capable of filtering all of the information that they encounter, especially from a medium that induces a theta-state of mind(theta is most prone to suggestion)?

Definition 2 for propaganda

Source: Merriam Webster
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

In the absence of actual exposure to information and a critical process regarding the 9/11 tragedy and alleged conspiracy, even sources seemingly trivial like fictional T.V. shows can contribute to the foundation of opinion and conjecture of an individual.........

if you lived indoors all your life and never saw the sky, but always heard that the color of the sky was a deep red hue, that is what you would believe and that belief would fuel any decisions that required a factoring of sky color.

Including Bush in a popular T.V. show can affect the opinions of the german population and most of those people will not bother with an actual critical participation of the issue, i.e. not many will have an ATS to weigh and discuss and access documentations. Thus, this T.V. show about Bush will be factored into their opinion about Bush...........

That said, djohnsto77, I am not appalled at this move into German popular culture. Bush is increasingly becoming a scapegoat(there is some justification for it, whether you choose to acknowledge that fact or not) and considering the ability of anyone german having any capacity to really effect America or Americans, I don't see much relevance either.......

[edit on 11-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

joi

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
There are cartoons, comics, (non)fan fiction, etc...about our gallant :cough: president that can be viewed in America daily.
Why be so up in arms about what another country is doing ?
Its a fictional TV show. Germans arent super fond of Bush. I believe they had larger protests when he visited Germany than we have had in America for him, but dont quote me on that one..

In fact I had found this :

Only in Germany? Note this -

Police in Germany are hunting pranksters who have been sticking miniature flag portraits of US President George W. Bush into piles of dog poo in public parks. Josef Oettl, parks administrator for Bayreuth, said: "This has been going on for about a year now, and there must be 2,000 to 3,000 piles of excrement that have been claimed during that time."

www.justabovesunset.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
David's Medienkritik... hmmm yeah, blogs are always an interesting read to see personal opinions of people who write that blog on things that are going on around the world... lots and lots of pros and contras on the internets about absolutely everything ... I recently read that there are over 60 milion blogs on internet

Anyways,

Police in Germany are hunting pranksters who have been sticking miniature flag portraits of US President George W. Bush into piles of dog poo

lmfao!!!!

Hilarious.
I guess there are many different ways to protest.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
You know what, I'm not a fan of Bush.. but still don't know all the facts.

What I do think is that you guys are really over estimating the intellegence of the average person, I mean.. most people won't even think about it.. just watch it, absorb it, and yes it will be used later in their thoughts on Bush, whether they know it or not.

I think they could have just changed the names and used fictional characters. I mean I would not accept people making up stories about myself being evil and killing people, I mean WTF.. that's just creepy.

I know the diffrence between fictional and non-fiction, and can think about what I watch, I'm also sure a lot of people do as well, but I'm sure a lot don't even care to think it out.

Anyways, IMO, It's not Germany trying to make the country go Anti-America or anything, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Ksnazdnzon]

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
US government involvement in 9/11 has been proven over and over. Where are the so-called lies?

But like many others said... this was just fiction. There is a great film out there based on true events, that gives a much better impression of what kind of government has been ruling the US for decades. It's called 'JFK'.

top topics

join