It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help with linking camera to pc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
As im sure some of you read, in the HUGE yahweh thread, that i think i may have summoned something in the sky or whatever and caught it on tape. You can get the full description of what i saw Well i said id post it, and i will, but i cant get my PC to recognise my camera!

i have a JVC GR-D23e camera that is supposed to hook up to my computer through Firewire, but when i plug it in i get nothing. Im not sure wiether my Firewire card is configured correctly because i have been having trouble with this PC ever since i built the stupid thing. Im thinking there could be a problem with the motherboard drivers? If its any help when i shut down my PC it never actually turns off or restarts, i have to hold down the power button.

Its a damn mystery problem but its very frustrating. I do have a Super video outlet on my camera, and there is a super video outlet on the back of my graphics card, maybe if push came to shove i could upload it that way, but id rather do it through the firewire link.

I'd pull up a link to where my post was in that huge thread but i cant since my Java script setup hasnt completed as my PC never gets past the 'saving your settings' phase of a restart or shutdown. (which means i cant click that little insert link button)

AHHH! Help! Im sure someone out there is amazing with computers who might be able to help! then i'll post my video!

(title edited by request of post author)

[edit on 6-6-2005 by pantha]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Helllo,

It is a lot easier to troubleshoot if you provide info about the Operating System, etc. However there are some good tips on shutdown problems on the below link. Perhaps it will help resolve the shutdown issue. After that you can work on the firewire.

aumha.org...

Example

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”
During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see MSKB 307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 1, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.

As a workaround, newsgroup correspondent “lou” resolved this problem by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

Best of luck

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Good link makeitso

I believe makeitso is correct; you have to fix the shut down first. Once your system is fully operational it should pick the card up,

Shutdown problems in Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Millennium Edition can be caused by many factors including, but not limited to: a damaged exit sound file; incorrectly configured or damaged hardware; conflicting programs, or an incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver. This article can be used to troubleshoot the possible causes. (There may be multiple simultaneous causes in a given case.)
WINDOWS SHUTDOWN & RESTART CENTER TROUBLESHOOTING in 15 STEPS
Version 11.12 — Last updated May 9, 2005

Windows updates

[edit on 6/6/2005 by Sauron]

join