It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support your statements(to make ATS a better place)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Common issue
Here on the board, it is not uncommon for me to see someone who decides that they are going to be argumentative, but doesn't support their points, and often doesn't even clarify who they are arguing with. There is nothing wrong with holding an opinion, but it does no good if it isn't backed up.

First of all
If you are going to argue, or tell someone that they have made an incorrect statement, it is good to quote the statement that you have a problem with. This way, there is no confusion as to whom you are referring. I have seen many people who will correct someone without actually using their username, or so much as hinting to which statements they are referring.

Support
When you make your statements, explain your logic. Even better, you could post contradicting facts. The least that you can do is thoroughly explain your point of view. Doing this help people to understand why you are making your statements, and makes you look a lot better.

Deny ignorance
Lastly, if you learn that you have been incorrect, admit it. ‘It is always better to be proven wrong than to go on thinking that you are right.’ That is one of my favorite sayings.

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Tom Sawyer]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Sawyer
Deny ignorance
Lastly, if you learn that you have been incorrect, admit it. ‘It is always better to be proven wrong than to go on thinking that you are right.’ That is one of my favorite sayings.

The ability to admit when you are wrong, when you have made a mistake or omission, or have honestly been convinced of another's viewpoints is a rare trait here, and the main cause is pride, because these debates happen in the public arena. There sometimes exists an atmosphere where if you admit to being wrong once, then that admission is seen as forever undermining your credibility. And so many will never admit a mistake and will stick to their guns no matter what. If they have backed themselves into a completely indefensible position, then they will simply stop posting and hope that nobody notices. I try to be noble enough to admit when I am wrong, but I think that I've lost some cred because of that. Meh~ them's the breaks.

The crux of the matter is that nobody's perfect, and everyone makes mistakes; it's part of being human. Even Einstein was wrong sometimes. When people here can't admit that they are wrong and move onward, it's because they have lost sight of why they came here in the first place: to find the truth. Instead they have become trapped into the dead-end road of seeking recognition, respect and accolades from their peers, and looking for the next emotional fix of winning a debate. It's a shame really, and not constructive at all.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Posts like this do absolutly nothing for the betterment of ATS.

Consistently griping and complaining about "a problem" instead of consistently discussing topics that this discussion board was designed for only takes the attention off the topics at hand, and focuses them at the media they are presented on.

Besides, a "problem" to you, may not necassarily be a problem of everyone else on the board.

If you have a concern, a request, or a "problem", then you need to follow the proper chain of command and SUBMIT the problem to the people that operate the forum. Like the rest of us do..

... or continue posting troll bait.

TRY THIS INSTEAD OF POSTING USELESS THREADS

If you have a problem about a member, a topic, a type of discussion or a way things are discussed, then submit a complaint/suggestion and the matter will be looked at. If the forum operators feel the problem doesnt warrant change, tthen obviously the "problem" isnt a problem.

Sorry if I come off rude, just tired of seeing a million posts about how to "fix" ATS.. that all lead no where.. whereas if you submit suggestions/complaints, you'd be surprised how much changes without public notice.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSoul

Sorry if I come off rude, just tired of seeing a million posts about how to "fix" ATS.. that all lead no where.. whereas if you submit suggestions/complaints, you'd be surprised how much changes without public notice.

AS I do agree with you, I also knowwhat its like to be new and want to be apart of the great thing we have here. Hopefuly tom see the error and do it again.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Actually, This type of thread should go into the RANT forum.
I do agree though there are a lot of postings with no substance or backing to them. Many are "trust me I Know" etc.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

There sometimes exists an atmosphere where if you admit to being wrong once, then that admission is seen as forever undermining your credibility.

I will disagree with this statement for this reason:
People will not remember the 'one time' that someone was wrong, and peg them as untrustworthy.
That is why i don't care when i am proven wrong. I am learning the truth.

new topics

top topics

join