It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is MENSA a secret society...?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Generalities abound here, but still:

Many 'secret societies' revolve around the understanding of and the furthering of esoterical teachings.

When you look at MENSA they take great pains to let you know that your IQ is NOT a measure of how 'clever' you are but rather a measure of how your brain works.

If I was the Grand BooBah of some secret society and I was in need of new members who were good at working out certain things where would I go to recruit them?

At first glance then MENSA would seem as good a place to start as any other...

Any thoughts?

[edit on 6-6-2005 by Kyuudousha]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kyuudousha
If I was the Grand BooBah of some secret society and I was in need of new members who were good at working out certain things where would I go to recruit them?

At first glance then MENSA would seem as good a place to start as any other...

Any thoughts?

Sure. MENSA works.
If your plot for world domination involves building a girl robot or playing Dungeons & Dragons in your mother's basement.

As mine does.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Don't diss MENSA, I could be in it if I wanted to but i chose not to. Just bc I have a high IQ doesn't make me smart. As you can tell in my writing I'm not very intellectual, but for some weird reason I did well on the test.

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'm not sure it qualifies really. It has a website here which outlines the organisation, what it is all about, member benefits etc. Contact details are given for national groupings etc and, as far as the UK is concerned there are lists of officers, administrators etc freely available here.

I think we must be careful not to confuse private groups with fixed membership criteria with genuine secret societies.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
Don't diss MENSA, I could be in it if I wanted to but i chose not to. Just bc I have a high IQ doesn't make me smart. As you can tell in my writing I'm not very intellectual, but for some weird reason I did well on the test.

This is exactly my point. MENSA take great pains to point out that the IQ test is NOT a measure of how smart or clever you are but rather HOW your brain works.

I found that interesting...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Many 'secret societies' revolve around the understanding of and the furthering of esoterical teachings.

While many supposed "secret societies" do this, this does not define what a Secret Society is. In other words, a secret society is one that meets in secret, whose members keep thei affiliation a secret and has secret goals and agendas. It's like saying that if all dogs have four legs, all animals with four legs are dogs. Doesnt work like that.

Then again, if Freemasonry, which has clearly marked buildings, publishes its constitutions, aims, goals, meeting minutes, has public events, public members and public rituals and knowledge, can be called a secret society, then just about ANY organization can.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman
I'm not sure it qualifies really. It has a website here which outlines the organisation, what it is all about, member benefits etc. Contact details are given for national groupings etc and, as far as the UK is concerned there are lists of officers, administrators etc freely available here.

I think we must be careful not to confuse private groups with fixed membership criteria with genuine secret societies.

Okay, admittedly I worded the question badly, no, completely wrong in fact.

MENSA is not a secret society, I realise that. The question should have read

'Is MENSA a spring board for joining secret societies?'

I still believe that many 'secret societies' exist with their core beliefs being to unravel esoteric mysteries. With that in mind, where would you go to recruit such members that would have a certain way of looking at the world? Wouldn't it be interesting if you could set up an organisation which could lay down a test of some description to find the sort of people you're looking for? As Alias101 pointed out 'just because I have a high IQ doesn't make me smart'. So, what exactly is your IQ measuring and what exactly are they looking for?

Only a pet hobby of mine at the moment, but the more I dig into it the more fascinating it becomes.

Did you know that MENSA UK headquarters is in St Johns House, St Johns Square, Wolverhampton (St John the Baptist maybe?). In France the headquarters are on 'Rue De Leonardo Davinci' (Priory of Sion link?). The Italian address is most bizzare: Piazza 185° Rgt. Art. Folgore 8 (int. 12) (What's this with 185 degrees?) The only surprise to me is that it is not in Florence on DeMedici Street...

Anybody else picking out a recurring theme here?

And it goes on, Bulgaria for instance, the headquarters are in Sofia. Fair enough, it's the capital city, but isn't Sophia the Earth Goddess?

There are many more like this, and also many with PO Boxes (of which I am currently trying to work out if there is any significance in numerology) with odd numbers.

As it is only a 'pet' project of mine I don't spend too much time on it. However the more I get into it, the more I can't help but want to find out. I can't help feeling that the answers are there if you know where to look and it is all part of some initiation. Just finding the answers to join/locate these socities probably proves your worthy to at least sit the entrance exam!

[edit on 7-6-2005 by Kyuudousha]

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sebatwerk

While many supposed "secret societies" do this, this does not define what a Secret Society is. In other words, a secret society is one that meets in secret, whose members keep thei affiliation a secret and has secret goals and agendas. It's like saying that if all dogs have four legs, all animals with four legs are dogs. Doesnt work like that.

Have I pissed you off a bit my friend? Why have you bothered to reply? You have taken one statement of mine, agreed with it, added some nonsense of your own, then used your own ramblings to shoot me down? I'm not sure what your aim is?

Then again, if Freemasonry, which has clearly marked buildings, publishes its constitutions, aims, goals, meeting minutes, has public events, public members and public rituals and knowledge, can be called a secret society, then just about ANY organization can.

Why have you tried to sidetrack this thread onto the bloody Masons again? Don't you get bored of this? Please go and add your rantings about the bloomin' Masons on any number of the other threads dedicated to the subject and stop trying to hijack this one...

...Actually I've just re-read your reply again and the point you make about ANY organisation can be classed as a secret society is exactly the point I made with the comparison to GM was it not?

Thankyou

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Have I pissed you off a bit my friend? Why have you bothered to reply? You have taken one statement of mine, agreed with it, added some nonsense of your own, then used your own ramblings to shoot me down? I'm not sure what your aim is?

What are you talking about? You didn't piss me off, I was just giving you my opinion. What's wrong with you???

Why have you tried to sidetrack this thread onto the bloody Masons again? Don't you get bored of this? Please go and add your rantings about the bloomin' Masons on any number of the other threads dedicated to the subject and stop trying to hijack this one...

What's the matter with you, I'm just adding to your friggin thread. I didn't try to hijack anything, and I don't know why you decided to take it upon yourself to slam me in this manner.

...Actually I've just re-read your reply again and the point you make about ANY organisation can be classed as a secret society is exactly the point I made with the comparison to GM was it not?

So why did you insult me?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
MENSA itself isn't a secret society, but the think tanks you can be "sequestered" into are. When I was in High School I had an I.Q. of 150, and my English teacher at the time was pushing me into joining MENSA, but the more I read about it the creepier it got. You think Big Brother is watching you now, wait until you become a certified Genius.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Okay Sebatwerk, maybe I misinterperated your reply, and for that I apologise. It just seemed that you were somewhat condascending towards me when I first read your post. I realise that when people chat on forums you don't get the tone of voice, facial expressions and the multitude of other signals given off when in conversation face to face as it were. When I re-read your post with a different cant on it, it actually sounded fair enough. So again, please accept my apologies.

I would like to point out, however, that I want to keep this thread as general as possible when it comes to 'secret societies'. I don't want it to get bogged down with any singular society such as the Freemasons or the Illuminati et al.

With that said, how do I change the thread title to 'Is Mensa a spring board to secret society membership?'?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

Sorry Trinityman, please see my earlier post...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
MENSA is not a secret society. More like a private club that invites members who meet their standards.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Interesting. In what way did the thought of MENSA membership get creepier Twitchy?

Genuinely interested.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

'Is MENSA a spring board for joining secret societies?'

I still believe that many 'secret societies' exist with their core beliefs being to unravel esoteric mysteries. With that in mind, where would you go to recruit such members that would have a certain way of looking at the world? Wouldn't it be interesting if you could set up an organisation which could lay down a test of some description to find the sort of people you're looking for? As Alias101 pointed out 'just because I have a high IQ doesn't make me smart'. So, what exactly is your IQ measuring and what exactly are they looking for?

Interestingly enough I used to be a member of MENSA many moons ago. I joined... because I could. I didn't last long though. I found it an organisation without a real purpose - just full of people who had been told they were in some way 'superior' and a few egos couldn't handle that and inflated way out of control. I left after a couple of years and don't have any great desire to rejoin.

Did you know that MENSA UK headquarters is in St Johns House, St Johns Square, Wolverhampton (St John the Baptist maybe?). In France the headquarters are on 'Rue De Leonardo Davinci' (Priory of Sion link?). The Italian address is most bizzare: Piazza 185° Rgt. Art. Folgore 8 (int. 12) (What's this with 185 degrees?) The only surprise to me is that it is not in Florence on DeMedici Street...

Anybody else picking out a recurring theme here?

Er No. Sorry. I think you're seeing too much into it.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Sorry Trinityman, please see my earlier post...

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Interestingly enough I used to be a member of MENSA many moons ago. I joined... because I could. I didn't last long though. I found it an organisation without a real purpose - just full of people who had been told they were in some way 'superior' and a few egos couldn't handle that and inflated way out of control. I left after a couple of years and don't have any great desire to rejoin.

This is partly my point. If MENSA has no purpose then why go to all the trouble of devising such a large organisation just to say that your IQ is better than other peoples? Again, if IQ is not a measure of how clever you are, what exactly, does it measure? It is a terribly large waste of time and effort for it to have absolutely no point what so ever other than to pat each other on the back, don't you think?

Something else I would be interested in knowing, is how many people using this forum are, or could have, or used to be, members of MENSA? I am, you were and twitchy was invited.

I would not be surprised if the majority of the posters on this board could be Mensan's just because they seem to question things and don't take things for granted. That, to me, if the results for MENSA membership on this board were positive, would seem to suggest that what MENSA are actually measuring is your ability to question perhaps, to open your mind maybe...?

Would it be worth opening a poll (can this be done on this forum?) for a little scientific experiment?

I also liked the way you started your post with 'Interestingly enough...'. Still doesn't seem any more than a coincidence to you then?

Er No. Sorry. I think you're seeing too much into it.

Why is the headquarters for a prestigious organisation like MENSA not in the capital city, London? Why is it in Wolverhampton? (no offence meant) Maybe you're right and I am seeing too much into it, but then again, isn't that why we're here on this forum? To question these things?

I will keep you posted as my investigation progresses.

As a serious aside, I would be very keen to run a poll on MENSA membership on this site as it would either help my 'pet' project in a big way or sink it completely. Can it be done Mr Mods and would anybody be willing to participate?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I also liked the way you started your post with 'Interestingly enough...'. Still doesn't seem any more than a coincidence to you then?

No, not really. Although your hypothesis about high IQs on ATS is quite reasonable. And even if you're wrong it'll be a popular theory

Why is the headquarters for a prestigious organisation like MENSA not in the capital city, London? Why is it in Wolverhampton? (no offence meant)

Why not? The country is more than just London y'know. Maybe the founders lived there and started it there and it never moved. Maybe they can't afford London prices.

Maybe you're right and I am seeing too much into it, but then again, isn't that why we're here on this forum? To question these things?

Absolutely.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Why not? The country is more than just London y'know. Maybe the founders lived there and started it there and it never moved. Maybe they can't afford London prices.

Oh no it's not, not when it comes to things like this, just ask any of the other Brits on the site. No matter what anybody says, the Class system is alive and kicking thankyou very much. Any organisation that is as 'prestigous' as MENSA would more than likely be in London.

Secondly, the founder Mr Roland Berrill (Who, incidentally, was the second son of an English noble family) was a philanthropist and barrister from Australia. When somebody is reffered to as a 'philanthropist' it generally means that they are monied, and usually old money in the early 1900's. Who else would have the means and money to travel the world and 'study'. He was also interested in the occult. He even designed his own deck of Tarot cards which are still available to buy apparently...

www.themysticeye.com...

More on him here:

www.dcn.davis.ca.us...

Getting interested yet?

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Any organisation that is as 'prestigous' as MENSA would more than likely be in London.

Don't agree with this at all. But the reasons for my disagreement take us too far off topic to be worth bothering with at this time.

Getting interested yet?

What makes you think I'm not interested?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join