It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: First Saddam Hussein Trial to Begin Soon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
The first trial of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein is scheduled to begin by late summer or early fall, according to a senior Iraqi official. The trial covers charges that he participated in the killing of 162 men in Dujail, a predominatily Shiite village north of Baghdad. The Iraqi government has been under pressure to begin trying Saddam for his alleged war crimes and crimes against humanity.

New York Times
BAGHDAD, Iraq, June 5 - The Iraqi court set up to hear cases against Saddam Hussein and his top aides plans to bring him to trial by late summer or early fall in its first case, involving the 1982 killings of nearly 160 men from Dujail, a predominantly Shiite village north of Baghdad, after he survived an assassination attempt there, according to a senior Iraqi court official.

By scheduling an early trial for Mr. Hussein on a small fraction of the accusations against him, the Iraqi Special Tribunal has effectively ceded to pressure from Iraq's transitional government, settling a behind-the-scenes power struggle involving American lawyers who have guided the tribunal's work since the court was established last year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm happy that these trials will be begin sooner rather than later because it will bring some closure to the Iraqi people and end criticism that Saddam has been held too long without a trial. I'm sure the evidence presented will be clear and convincing that Saddam participated in hideous crimes and he will be punished accordingly.

[edit on 6/5/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 6/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:08 AM
link   
But if they somehow canĀ“t prove him guilty, then they would have to let him go or what? Then he could go back and become the Iraqi leader again?

posted on Jun, 6 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
So they're finally putting fake Saddam on trial, eh? I wonder if they promised him free dental care as a reward.

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You know good and well his defense is going to be to turn the tables on the Bush administration i.e. their invasion of Iraq was in itself illegal (which it was) and based on known lies (which it was) about his weapons program, and that the very fact that they didn't find any WMD proves that he was telling the truth and that the thousands of documents he turned over to the UN proves that not only was he truthful but that he was trying to co-operate. At that point I fully expect him to be accidently shot by a Marine trying to escape or something.

Personally I feel that he should be tried on one charge only, that of coming up with that god awlful phrase the mother of all....!

posted on Jun, 7 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
They can get him for all sorts of war crimes easily. There is that whole bit of failing to follow certain UN resolutions. Ones which gave the authority to continue the war that had gone to cease-fire before. Or does everyone forget the weeks before in which all Saddam had to do was comply with the regulations the UN had set out with specific penalties of renewal of hostilities? I seem to remember lots of requests sent, and news coverage of investigators denied access to facililities. Simple stuff, that he'd agreed to, to stop Gulf War 1. And like North Korean nuclear talks, welched on the agreement thinking his oil bribes to the UN would keep his ass safe.

Gassings of the Kurds and other nasty tricks will be icing on the cake. Rabidly partisan lawyers will come up with variations of the "Wookie Defense" (There are no WMD's on Endor....therefore you must acquit!) and all sorts of things for the liberal media to latch onto and avoid the core truths.

Of course, we could always send him back, put him on the Iraqi streets, remove our "security" and let the Iraqi public show him their "love".

new topics

top topics

join