It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think we should have a spell check on the forums?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ok, I found it in my heart to find something for those who wish for a spell checking system.

Check out this website. www.iespell.com...

ieSpell is a free Internet Explorer browser extension that spell checks text input boxes on a webpage.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by William
Given the number of daily posts (always over 800, often over 1,000), spell check would be an excessive load on the server (each post requiring two additional page loads to process the spelling check).

Oh, yeah.... You would need a larger and even more powerful server (might I add: You would need more $$$.
).

I knew there would be a catch...

Oh, well. Back to the word processor...

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Proud American

Especially for (but not about) you!

Gnih temos yasot dediced yeht erof ebmut cer rieht fotou daeh rieht koot detsopreve ohw nos repyreve fire ippah hcumdna (sreb mem deta cude egau gnalh silgn Emorfs drow delleps simy nam ootees yeht nehwre temono itacude nit liub rieht dnepsus otel banu ebsya wlal liws redaer emos hgouht la) yt ilibis neher pmoc tceff at 'nod taht sror regnil leps htiwy ppaheb dlo uw I. Llew say tilauqt sop tou badias ehtah whti weerga I. Gnill eps foecna trop mievit taler eht nost niop doogy revem os dahn og artse.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Proud American

Gnih temos yasot dediced yeht erof ebmut cer rieht fotou daeh rieht koot detsopreve ohw nos repyreve fire ippah hcumdna (sreb mem deta cude egau gnalh silgn Emorfs drow delleps simy nam ootees yeht nehwre temono itacude nit liub rieht dnepsus otel banu ebsya wlal liws redaer emos hgouht la) yt ilibis neher pmoc tceff at 'nod taht sror regnil leps htiwy ppaheb dlo uw I. Llew say tilauqt sop tou badias ehtah whti weerga I. Gnill eps foecna trop mievit taler eht nost niop doogy revem os dahn og artse.

You wouldn't happen to be knowing the translation, would you? I jsut catn raed it.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Proud American

What the hell is that?!?! Russian?

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Proud American

Translation:

Estragon had some very good points on the relative importance of spelling. Agree with what he said about post quality as well. I would be happy with spelling errors that don't affect comprehensibility(although some readers will always be unable to suspend their built in educationometer when they see too many misspelled words from English language educated members) and much happier if every person who ever posted took their head out of their rectum before they decided to say something.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   

jagdflieger quotes jagdflieger
There are several WIBNI's that I would like to see on this forum (WIBNI = wouldn't it be nice if .... a term coined by a dear departed friend, a program manager I actually liked).
1. A spell checker for the postings would be great if the people will use it. Some of the spellings I have seen are horrible.
2. If it were possible I would like to see the U2U send page be opened with a full window for Internet Explorer or whatever. I would like to be able to copy to and paste from the Windows Clipboard.
3. The same thing could also be done for the Complain send box.
4. Also if some one has the time, perhaps the FAQ page could be updated to show the proper sequence to nest BB Codes. (How do you get bold red text, 4 high, in Impact Font?) When I did it for my signature, I had to play around with it.

However these are WIBNI's, items that it would be great if they could be done. I know that if there was a spell checker, I would definitely use it

OK - so a spell checker is out. We have to learn to spell better. How about any comments about Items 2 and Items 3 on the list? It would be nice to have the U2U send page be a little more like the post topic/reply page. That is to be able to use the Windows Clipboard copy and paste while writing a U2U. It would be a nice enhancement if it doesn't cause a major upheavel in the ATS software. While we are at it, would it be a major problem for the reply handling routines not to suppress leading spaces after a hard carriage return (so we could make indented text in our posts and replies). Just another WIBNI, but if it could be done easily it would be nice.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join