It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont think smoking is as bad as they say

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
December 4 will make one year quit for me, after 10 years of smoking marlboro reds. It actually wasn't that hard.

Benefits:
I can taste my food.
I can smell things again.
I have not been sick even one time, beforehand I got nasty colds every 3 or 4 months.
Mood is generally improved
Need less sleep, and have no trouble getting up in the morning.
Now I take the stairs to the fourth floor, not the elevator, not winded at all.
I play tennis every week for 2-3 hours instead of one hour.
I have an extra ~1100 dollars in the bank.
My clothes and my car are starting to smell a lot better, but I don't think the stench will ever completely go away.

The only real drawback I can think of is that I still have "smoking dreams," where I wake up thinking that I'm back in the habit. It's a nightmarish feeling for about two minutes before I realize that it wasn't real.

If I didn't need any more motivation to keep my quit, now I'm watching a close relative battle lung cancer, and she still won't give them up. Chemo and stogies don't mix, let me tell you.

To address the general theme of the thread, I don't believe that smoking should be banned at all. I think in time it will simply dwindle to insignificance as people realize that they're just being shafted by mega corporations which are exploiting their addiction.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bulldog 52
Its not proven by the way i live my life , i smoke like a chimney and drink like a fish and I'm healthy , People like me should be dead by your reckonings, I'm not and I'm saying your nanny thinking does not know why. Stop frightening people with this its not true, try thinkinking about the real killers in life . Cars . stress and undisclosed amounts of radioactive waste in the air.

Speaking as a smoker and as a student of Linda Goodman's, she teached that some people "CANNOT" guit smoking, though she recommends it, some of us have body molecules that will turn against the body without smoking, and she calls these people 'sensitive' Read Star Signs.
I quit in 1993 to test her theory and from a doctor's orders?
During the time I had quit, I gained 75 pounds--not more eating-broke out in hives all over my body, and I went to my nieces wedding and my OWN Mother did not recognize the freak I had become.
So, if I cannot quit without all this 'madness' then let me go when my times is up, rather than be broken out with incurable hives..
Anybody ever have hives? it is HELL on earth.
When I started back, my weight fell off and the hives are history..
Formerly a battered woman, from liquor, give me a smoking man, who will NOT have a personality change for booze..

PS--toxic fumes from all the big cars bothers me...
Agree with poster who started this thread..
Judge not lest you be judged...

"In a room of mirrors, you can see for miles
But everythings that's there is in disguise
Every word you've uttered , every thought you've had
It's all in your files, the good and bad"

george harrison on his death album..called rising sun

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 09:15 AM
link   
all of this anti smoking hysteria is really just a smoke screen , something to divert our attention from real problems.natural ,non chemical treated tobacco is relatively harmless ,its the crap they add to it ,those preservatives and pesticides sprayed on the crop thats harmful.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My dad has been smoking since he was 14 years old... He's 93 getting really old most of my life I never understood the whole conspiracy about smoking; because some people say it kills you some people say it doesn't. Well Realistically any type of smoke or gases or chemicals anything like that entering your lungs isn't good, even if the chemicals/ gases, ect. does not cause cancer you will still get some lung infections/diseases. My dad and his brother were the only two in his whole family in their generation to smoke and my dads brother is 101 now hes a lemon though he lays in bed alot... but my dad still goes out, he comes to the store with me and hes still smoking.
But get this out of their side of the family everyone else was non-smokers and they all died at a young age... His parents died young, his 2 sisters and other brother died in 60's everyone but them the (smokers) of the family died young it its weird my dad always tells me house his brothers and parents told him hes going to die really young if he doesn't quit he just didn't listen to any of it and hes still here.

It's all about how your body is and how your past generations of family genetics are thats what it is in the long run. BECAUSE no with all these gas admissions do you KNOW how much carcinogen is because produced and how many other toxic chemicals are being pumping into the world... So for smokers cause of death might have not been from smoking might have been from other toxic chemicals being inhaled.. But get this each year as we keep pumping all this gas admissions cause of (lung cancer) from smoking is decreasing.... back in the day lung cancer was caused 95% from smoking then slowly decreased to 90% guess what new studies are reporting now... around 76% well that HUGE decrease is coming from some where... also now family generations are adapting to the smoking in the family genes...

Its not all SMOKE and DIE... its about how your body works... What country you live in EVERYTHING effects you can't brand something just like do this and die.

Though I'm not saying EVERYBODY smoking doesn't # you up go by a pack and start TODAY! No its just definity not healthy but all I'm saying is bad food's like Mcdonalds is not healthy staring straight into the sun isnt healthy you know I can name millions of things that give you cancer...
It's just smoking is picked on so badly because when people think of it now a day's they think of LOW class bums and parents go crazy about how this would effect their children so its GREATLY over exaggerated.

Almost anything thats not natural to your body and man made will be bad for you, we as a advanced species adapt slowly to this new product's that are made for taste or for minerals ect.

But for now if you really have to smoke... Live a healthy life style to balance it out.... get a gym pass start lifting weights doing exercises if your a heavy smoker your cardio will probably be bad so start by trying a 5 minute jog and build after that... I kid you not I'm a smoker have been for years now and when i first started at the gym I jogged for 4 minutes and was huffing and puffing i felt like crap I always felt like smoking was killing my slowly and I could feel it... But now I havening a awesome diet and I can run 45 min and after I stop running I breath like i was going for a walk... and I feel awesome.
Also TRY really hard not to smoke so much, only smoke when you really have to when you get that anxiety craving for it don't turn your smoking habit into a social friend thing if your doing it still because you think its cool or its fun to smoke with friends then just stop now... The most of us smoke because there is no other way to win the war.

Thanks, wish the best of luck to all smoker and REMEMBER don't just lay at home thinking your going to die go get some exercise it will balance the effects of smoking I Guarantee because your lungs heal over time and if your not smoking like a addict and doing what I said your fine.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
There's a lot of bs about smoking out there. The top one being that smoking with a filter is somehow less carcinogenic. WRONG! The cherry burns hotter when one smokes through a filter unless they don't want actual smoke in their lungs at all. The hotter something is burned the more it is broken down to to simpler more reactive chemicals. More radioactive as well.

The second one I can name off the top of my head is the thinking people have that smoking is worse that overeating wrong again overeating, especially refined sugar consumption is the #1 cause of death.

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What's all this **cough ... cough** hoopla about smoking **wheeze** being so bad **hack ... splutter** for you ?
Never felt **cough ... wheeze** better in all my **hack ... hack ... cough ... wheeze** life !

Honey, get me **wheeeeeeeeze** the cig packet will you ? I'm having **hack ... cough** trouble seeing out of my **splutter** left eye !

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68
. . . .
I don't really think there is much room for argument about the consequences of smoking--eventually, it will kill you one way or the other. . . .

Prove it please, and keep in mind the money trail that was provided earlier in the thread.

I need a second line :S

[edit on 9/2/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Sep, 2 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by C0mmonen5e

This thread is from 2005. Just keep that in mind, many of the original posters may not reply. The last post was a single from 2007.

The topic is still relevant, though. I personally think smoking causes cancer. I can't think of a reason the authorities would be against smoking besides that. It's a way for them to get taxes, that's the only reason why I think it's still legal.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join