It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont think smoking is as bad as they say

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
QuestforSafety, at $8.50 a pack Canadian I don't blame you. ($2.25 - $5 American... no wonder at the border the first things they ask is if you have any alcohol or tobacco) I quit when it hit $5 and started again when I was invited to a pub in Australia, (forgot how much I liked to smoke when I drank) been smoking ever since even though when I restarted I only had a cigar a day, 2, 3, 5, bought a pack of smokes and went right back to a pack a day habit.
Quit while you still have so relatively little of the drug in your system. Cold turkey it and you'll find that after about 3 days the cravings do diminish,... but they never go away!

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Awww...thanks...I will be sure to cut myself down.

I think it provides temporary stress relief, and after being screamed at by two huge screaming demons...(Which is what I see by the time it gets that bad for no bloody reason), I reallly need any kind of stress relief, and a quick smoke, then some morphine pills, is the WAY to go.

I'll definately like cut it down to like......5 a week or something...that sounds fair...^.^ Or even 3 a week, just cause I'm a health freak!

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nothing more dangerous to the smoker than the fomer smoker, right?
Kinda like the former alcoholic preaching to the alcoholic, only it ain't like that for me. I quit because my wife and I are expecting our first child and I wanted to be supportive of her during her pregnancy. Truth be told, I haven't smoked for 6 months and I still want one! Strange thing is I NEVER experienced any of the "great" things that former smokers always claim to experience: can taste better, things smell better, have more energy, sleep better at night etc... BS! None of those things for me. In fact, I can't breathe any better or worse than before. Don't have any more or less energy. Can't taste or smell any better or worse than before. And I definitely don't sleep better at night; worse actually. I've also noticed that my stress level has increased, I eat more, have gained weight, become more moody and short-fused etc... And I still wonder every single day if this is worth it.

Quitting wasn't at all difficult. I was a pack plus a day smoker for 20 years. I set a date when I found out that my wife was pregnant and just quit cold turkey on that day. No patch, no gum, no hypnosis or pills; no nothing! I never went through withdrawal, never had physical symptoms like sweating, stomach aches or panic attacks. I just always want a cigarette.

Now to the real quandry... do I want to die from the potential side effects of smoking or do I want to die from a heart attack induced by stress? Not a good choice either way, to be sure. I liked smoking. Smoking made me feel relaxed. Is truggle with knowing that it's bad for me and will kill me, but I struggle not being able to smoke. Is there a right answer? Anyone?

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
KOZMO, i feel sorry for you, i can understand your dilemma which i see is making you stressful. Perhaps take a leaf out of the book of Bulldog and do what you want in life, your going to die someday . Whats the point in life if you have no freedom to smoke , drink be gay or any lifestyle you want to pursue.
I can guarantee what ever you choose someone will tell you its wrong, think bollocks and do what makes you happy. The docs don't like me I'm still alive after 40 years of smoking doh.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Been smoking for over 2 years with no adverse side effects. I am still able to run my 3 miles, went from weighing 210 to 150 over that time as well. I guess being 19 helps.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Frosty]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Been smoking for over 2 years with no adverse side effects. I am still able to run my 3 miles, went from weighing 210 to 150 over that time as well. I guess being 19 helps.

[edit on 4-8-2005 by Frosty]

I wouldn't say that weight loss dramaticly is a good thing.....healthwise, but yes, yet another reason...(Just got back from the park, where I got 2 cigarettes, to fulfill a lil cravin), is to lose weight, by smoking I just...can temporarily relieve n supress hunger, it just aids in the pills I use to do so already.

Do be careful though.........for someone your age...(I know only one year older, and not for long, but hey), your a boy though, so..probly tall, just don't let it cause you to waste away....

*Sighs*

I'm such a hypocrite..sorry.....I just feel this strange urge to STUFF boys with food, and cook, then starve myself until I feint....(Literally, feintings not so bad.....well...sometimes)

I think yeah....smoke if you want to...freedom of choice!!!!!!!!

Oh, as for stress relief, which I take...wait.......I probly shouldn't try to shove meds down other ppls throats...x_x

[edit on 5-8-2005 by QuestForSafety]

posted on Aug, 5 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sometimes i wonder who is in charge of telling people what to do with their life, we have people telling us what to eat, drink and try and make everyone follow the same rules that they prescribe for us, this is nothing short of George Orwells big brother state, that we are living in. I think freedom of the individual has vanished nearly.I don't care, i smoke and drink as much as i like and think **** them , I'm an outcast because of that , but who cares, not me. Still be smoking if i can get the baccy till i die, i have to rely on the black market for reasonable priced baccy so the Government is loosing money. I'm fairly old and still feel young , I'm still alive after all the years of abuse to my body , so i say do your own thing and think **** to the PC idiots who try to rule us.

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Seen this on the net , might encourage smokers to think that its all crap. Link www.forces.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Bulldog...I'm not sure pointing out a handful of octogenarians is going to do much to prove that smoking isn't bad for your health....

Anyway. I wanted to give you the link to this discussion, relating to smoking and cancer (more specifically second-hand smoke, but it's relevant nonetheless).

I'm not sure anyone can seriously doubt that smoking is damaging to your health. The degree, however, might depend on several factors - genetics, environment and so on, which is why there might be a huge difference between how your body deals with smoking, and how mine would react.

posted on Aug, 9 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Bulldog...I'm not sure pointing out a handful of octogenarians is going to do much to prove that smoking isn't bad for your health....

Anyway. I wanted to give you the link to this discussion, relating to smoking and cancer (more specifically second-hand smoke, but it's relevant nonetheless).

I'm not sure anyone can seriously doubt that smoking is damaging to your health. The degree, however, might depend on several factors - genetics, environment and so on, which is why there might be a huge difference between how your body deals with smoking, and how mine would react.

There IS NO DOUBT, smoking has been proven to be bad for your health, the only thing I HOPE he's trying to say is it's up to the person to smoke if they want, but it's been proven it causes lung cancer, with increase of extreme percentages, basically also various other lung disorders, or even other types of health problems.

Some people get lucky, for a TIME, but in the end, it's up to THEM whether they want to take it, however, there's no doubt it's dangerous, ONE single person saying it hasn't harmed them is far from proof.

posted on Aug, 24 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doubtless
Anyway, cancer is triggered by a light time frequency, and the ancient Egyptian's avoided this trigger by painting black around the eye's to reflect the trigger light!

Doubtless,
I've never heard of this before, would you mind expanding on that?

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
super heated smoke is abbrasive on soft tissue. is that so hard to understand?

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I never saw such ignorance in a single thread.

Smokers are always trying to justify their vices.

I personally dont care if you smoke, or if you die from the problems it brings to you....i really dont care.

But what i know is, im a healthy person and i get really pissed if someone is smoking beside me.

And nothing more fair than BAN smoking from public places.
Nobody is obligate to smell the crap you think its good.

If you think smoke is healthy for you, go ahead.
If makes you happy, good for you.

But remember your rights end where the others rights start.

Btw, you said you are healthy.
Did you have proofs ?
Did ever make all the medical exams ?
I sincerly doubt you are a healthy person...did you ever saw an xray from your lungs ?...man, im sure if you did you would be really scared.
As someone stated before, just because you feel good doesnt mean you are healthy.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annacryst
super heated smoke is abbrasive on soft tissue. is that so hard to understand?

Annacryst, I think I love you

Seriously though; if nothing else, this quote above just illustrates perfectly why smoking is damaging to your health.

Even if we dispute the cancer links.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Dr. William Campbell Douglass was voted "Doctor of the Year" by the National Health Federation. Tonight he'll be talking about the health benefits of tobacco.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

This doctor on coast to coast right now is saying that not only is smoking a scapegoat, he also says that claims that it kills are not valid. He mentioned Greece has a heavy smoking population without the effects of the US.

Has anyone ever heard of this guy? Has he been directly debunked?

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
This thread is kind of like a global warming debate. Study is cited showing the dangers of smoking--bah humbug!--counter study is cited showing the first study is bunk, etc., etc..

I don't really think there is much room for argument about the consequences of smoking--eventually, it will kill you one way or the other. However, I do appreciate your points about treating smokers as lower class citizens. Seems to me that ways could be found to accomodate them without endangering others--ways that don't entail harsh penalities and sanctions.

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

Dr. William Campbell Douglass was voted "Doctor of the Year" by the National Health Federation. Tonight he'll be talking about the health benefits of tobacco.

www.coasttocoastam.com...

This doctor on coast to coast right now is saying that not only is smoking a scapegoat, he also says that claims that it kills are not valid. He mentioned Greece has a heavy smoking population without the effects of the US.

Little Rock, AR (PRWEB) September 1, 2004 -- Noted author and physician, Dr. William Campbell Douglass II MD, has uncovered the facts about the fraud of the EPA and the health benefits of smoking and tobacco. The truth is being told in his latest book, The Health Benefits of Tobacco. Research from respected researchers and scientific journals prove smoking and tobacco are not the killers the establishment has claimed, and that moderate smoking can actually be good for you.

The Health Benefits of Tobacco has been eagerly awaited and now is ready for distribution. Your listeners will be astounded as Dr. Douglass answers questions about his research and the information he has uncovered in this thought provoking book. Some will be in disbelief; some relieved, and some ashamed of the way they have treated smokers. But all will learn that tobacco can:

Help you live longer.
Relieve the symptoms of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
Optimize your weight.
Improve your heart health.
Reduce your risk of various cancers.

Plus, you will learn about the lies and cover-ups from the EPA, Insurance companies, and the Anti-Tobacco, Anti-Freedom establishment.

Frankly, I'm ignorant on this stuff. I will tell you one thing thouigh. I've smoked since I was 18...I'm now 49. At 32 I started jogging and got myself up to three miles at a shot, and four miles each session on the weekends. I finally quit at 40, NOT because of my smoking, but because I got tired of trying to out run the dogs in my new neighborhood. Excercising for smokers is really no different than for non-smokers. You work up to it. As for this guy William Douglass, and his claim that tobacco may actually be good for you...well, I guess time will tell, right?

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Toelint]

[edit on 28-8-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Hi Toelint I just heard this guy on Coast to Coast as well , very interesting indeed.
I'm a smoker myself , 43 years of age, and no health problems , I'm wondering if there's not something in what the man has to say.

I don't know if you heard him say about taking a shower, and you are breathing in chlorine ( I think it was)
I'm tempted to check out his book

posted on Aug, 28 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiracyNut23

I'm researching as we speak.

I'm aware he's a supporter of color therapy....which is "dubious", at best, in terms of efficacy, though this in itself is no indication of Dr Douglass' credibility.

I'm wondering (having not listened to the show) if he's comparing heated tobacco to chewed/non-heated tobacco.

Anyway, I digress.

I did find something on lung cancer rates in Greece.

Article here

More here

It's no coincidence that Greece has a disturbingly high rate of lung cancer, and also has the highest smoker population in Europe.

More on Greece, smoking and lung cancer

COPD rates in Greece

posted on Aug, 29 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
I'm wondering (having not listened to the show) if he's comparing heated tobacco to chewed/non-heated tobacco.

TF he says that tobacco should be smoked in a water pipe, filtered by water and ice if possible. So I guess a bong can have dual purpose!

Thanks for the research, great work so far.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join